PDA

View Full Version : NES on your Newton

elvis
29th February 2004, 03:44 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~eagix/

NES on your newton. Very cool. :)

Byrd
29th February 2004, 05:30 PM
Alright! A little late in the piece, but that's OK :)

What model/speed Newton is required to run the games? For that matter, is there a Gameboy emulator as well?

JB

jameso
1st March 2004, 10:36 AM
no gameboy emu. also don't visit this guys site this month as he has been /.ed and lost all his traffic allowance with earthlink

There are some nes/gameboy emus for palm but none that are free, if ant one knows of any i would like to know.

There is also a GameGear and MasterSystem emulator floating around but for palm not newton

I know a bogan (westie, or what every they are labeled in your state) that has a 110 under his bed that he never uses. Its such a waste, i can't talk him into selling it either.

jameso

elvis
1st March 2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by jameso@Mar 1 2004, 10:36 AM
I know a bogan (westie, or what every they are labeled in your state) that has a 110 under his bed that he never uses. Its such a waste, i can't talk him into selling it either.

Just head round his place and give him a good kicking and a pack of smokes. He'll take that as a sign of affection and hand the unit over willingly.

:P

As far as I'm aware, that's the only emulation software for newton. A bit dissapointing that.

Still, there's plenty of other emulation software about for MacOS anyway, especially now that so many people can easily port their GPL UNIX/GNU/Linux stuff across without too much hassle. MacMAME is a mandatory install for me on any desktop. :)

Jimbo
1st March 2004, 10:03 PM
i have a newton 110 want it? make me on offer

jameso
2nd March 2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by elvis@Mar 1 2004, 08:08 PM
Just head round his place and give him a good kicking and a pack of smokes. He'll take that as a sign of affection and hand the unit over willingly.

:P

As far as I'm aware, that's the only emulation software for newton. A bit dissapointing that.

Still, there's plenty of other emulation software about for MacOS anyway, especially now that so many people can easily port their GPL UNIX/GNU/Linux stuff across without too much hassle. MacMAME is a mandatory install for me on any desktop. :)
I read this and it made my night last night, so i though i would came a respond and let you know that i'm still smiling

thank you

jameso

Byrd
2nd March 2004, 09:34 AM
A slab, that is, or Victoria Bitter-based beverage would also be just the ticket to wrangle that elusive Newton from your bogan mate.

Jameso, there are plenty of freeware emulators on the Palm OS, including those for Game Boy. See here (http://www.palmsource.com/interests/emulators/)

However, a lot are for OS 5 devices - using faster CPUs, so I don't think my beloved Palm V would like most of them :(

jameso
2nd March 2004, 10:08 AM
byrd, thank you. My Tungsten|e is some good cheep (like the budgie... spot the movie) palm os 5 lovin

jameso

jameso
2nd March 2004, 10:11 AM
arrrrrrr ScrummVM

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

im never getting any work done now, MONKEY ISLAND HERE I COME

bYrd is my personal hero for the day

3 cheers for bYrd

jameso

Disko
2nd March 2004, 10:14 AM
Monkey island was on nes? woah.

jameso
2nd March 2004, 10:26 AM
nah, on the palm.

also on osx windows os9...

ScummVM is an open source copy of the engine Lucas Arts used for years to create all there monkey island like adventures. Most of them are abandon-ware and can be found on the underdogs

jameso

elvis
3rd March 2004, 09:20 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't realise Newtons could run PalmOS stuff. In that case, there's bucketloads of emulation software out there.

Although looking at that Newtendo site, he's getting a fairly consistent 33-42 FPS, which is just a pip under the 60 FPS you want for console gaming to run at 100% speed.

And considering the NES was a 1.8MHz CPU, and the Gameboy a 4.2MHz CPU, chances of emulating the Gameboy successfully aren't looking too good (without using a dreadfully large amount of frameskipping).

jameso
4th March 2004, 07:39 AM
Elvis, the Newton can't (to my knowledge) run palm software, we just took this thread way off topic

jameso