PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Ram acting weird...

invisible
27th November 2006, 11:22 AM
Hey All,
My little 12 incher is running kinda strange. up untill about a month ago I was running with 768mb of ram. i thought it was struggling so I maxed it out at 1.2Gig...

problem is, its still struggling. so much so that the page outs are exceeding the page ins! now i might have my tech mixed up but i didnt think that was possible.
Currently i have 176000/264000 page ins/outs

any comments would be gratefull. seems like its not so much a lack of ram but OS X isn't allocating it properly?

invisible
27th November 2006, 08:15 PM
any ideas? My macbook seems to be doing the same thing now. more page outs than page ins...

iSlayer
27th November 2006, 08:24 PM
its completly normal
once ram is filled you will see alot of page outs's

it is basically a lack of ram. But then again no matter how much ram you have you will get page outs at some point

kim jong il
27th November 2006, 08:57 PM
Personally I would not be concerned. If you had excessive hard drive access (thrashing) then it might be time to worry. Notebooks always benefit from extra RAM as the OS will prefer to pageout to physical RAM rather than the hard drive as it not only improves performance (access times from RAM are appreciably faster) but can/will/should also generate battery life benefits (time before recharging) as hard disk access is much more energy intensive than powering RAM.

Hopefully to put you at ease, and as an example, these are the stats from my machines at the moment (these figures will always vary somewhat according to your usage habits). Both machines are used quite differently (consistently different tasks on each machine) and as a result my current virtual memory statistics look like this: (uptime is identical ~6 days; time from the last annoyingly regular :( "Origin Energy" power outage) 'machine 1', pageins/outs 172,387/163,550 and 'machine 2', pageins/outs 223,304/184,971. Cache lookup statistics are also somewhat different: 'machine 1', 80,396 cache lookups, 31,515 cache hits (39.2%) while the second machine shows 214,933 cache lookups, 37,901 cache hits (17.6%). Current virtual memory sizes are 4.90GB and 2.58Gb respectively.

Andrew T Chadwick
16th September 2008, 12:17 PM
What are you doing on a 12' macbook that could max out you'r ram?.Are you sure it's not a 12" powerbook instead?.Just asking