PDA

View Full Version : Buying macbook here

mojohojo
23rd November 2006, 01:40 PM
i've never bought a mac or anything from apple before and now looking to get a macbook.
just wondering where i can get the best value in Australia, like the applecentres or resellers like nextbyte? or are they all the same price.
i can get education discount, would that be the best solution?
also, not sure if the stores are like other computer shops. but any chance of getting like special deals? like asking them for a free extra battery, free sleeve? (more chance with resellers?) ;)

mctext
23rd November 2006, 01:57 PM
mojohojo:
Welcome to MTAU.
I've always found Streetwise to be good -- even from the other side of the country.
A bit of a discount on the RRP and excellent delivery service.
http://www.streetwise.com.au/index.php?cPath=25_205

mct

jeremy_warnock
23rd November 2006, 01:59 PM
check this out

http://www.nextbyte.com.au/nb_clearance_sale.html

bartron
23rd November 2006, 02:27 PM
check this out

http://www.nextbyte.com.au/nb_clearance_sale.html

damn you...damn you to hell....I just bought a Macbook and paid a bit more that $999 for it :(

Bartron

admiral31
23rd November 2006, 02:36 PM
I called them around 1pm today (Ivanhoe store) and all the $999 macbooks are GOOOOONNNE. Were still some 2 GHz white ones available.

lenman74
23rd November 2006, 02:43 PM
still stock in sydney, but out of MBP's

all combo drive units have gone though, only superdrive equipped macbooks left

anyone ever bought a refurb before? experience??

jeremy_warnock
23rd November 2006, 03:00 PM
they come with a 1 year warranty and at that price buy apple care for your peice of mind.

I have had one shipped to perth for a mate - im sure if one store is sold out they can still source one for you

forgie
23rd November 2006, 03:03 PM
I called them around 1pm today (Ivanhoe store) and all the $999 macbooks are GOOOOONNNE. Were still some 2 GHz white ones available.
I just put down a deposit on a blackbook. They still have about 40-50 2Ghz white MBs @ $1399, and about 5-6 black MBs @ $1499.

They won't actually be in the store til this afternoon (probably about now), and they told me they'll have it ready on Monday, since they want to test them all to make sure everything's working ok. Do resellers normally check refurbs? Or do resellers normally not deal with refurbs?

mvjs
23rd November 2006, 03:09 PM
If you can get the education discount and want a new computer, it'll be quickest and cheapest to buy it directly from the Apple Store Education (http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/individualAustralia?type=higherEd)

titan44
23rd November 2006, 04:09 PM
Yup, everything has pretty well all gone now, some iMac's ( core duo's) left. But that's the line i got got as well forgie, i'm not able to get my hands on any of the gear i purchased till Monday.

areal
23rd November 2006, 04:19 PM
I accounted for a 17" Intel iMac on behalf of a friend, so thanks to whoever provided the link. If you aren't concerned about being on the absolute cutting edge, refurbished hardware such as this represents amazing value.

mojohojo
23rd November 2006, 10:31 PM
hi,

now the hard part is choosing either black or white.
i quite prefer the white, but are there still issues with the stains appearing on the new ones?
they will eventually get stained in the long term right?
this happens to the old ibooks too i guess?
does apple change the case for you when still covered?
if so, i think black will be the better choice in the long run

forgie
23rd November 2006, 11:05 PM
I am going black because I feel wierd about getting a white refurb - what are the chances that some chump has left grubby paw prints and scratches all over it?

bolle
24th November 2006, 01:03 AM
how often do these kinds of sales this good come around?

macmate
24th November 2006, 07:50 AM
these sales happen when new models have been released and apple/apple centres have old store to get rid of.

vanlan2010
26th November 2006, 09:07 PM
I am going black because I feel wierd about getting a white refurb - what are the chances that some chump has left grubby paw prints and scratches all over it?

Refurb Macbook will have new topcase I believe since the first gen has problem on top case discoloration