PDA

View Full Version : Playing PC Games on Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo

vampire
21st November 2006, 10:03 AM
I was planning on getting a mac book pro core 2 duo. I currently play a lot of pc games. How will these pc games perform on the mac using parellel? Will it run slower?

William
21st November 2006, 10:04 AM
Parallels will not run games, you'll have to use bootcamp.

Alec Fraser
21st November 2006, 10:07 AM
Running under bootcamp, games run as they would on any Windows based PC. And in the case of games like WoW actually run better than their OS X equivalent (something to do with the current implementation of OpenGL in OS X so I'm told.) Parallels doesn't do 3D acceleration and only presents stock standard hardware to Windows, so it wouldn't be worth even attempting to run games through parallels...unless of course you have a solitaire or freecell addiction ;)

I'm quite happy with games performance on my iMac Core 2 Duo, if I can ever get my stupid Half Life 2 installer discs to work again, I'm quite looking forward to playing through that on a 24" widescreen :D

vampire
21st November 2006, 10:13 AM
Cool Thanks. So playing games like FEAR will work fine in book camp?

Alec Fraser
21st November 2006, 10:15 AM
As long as the specs on your hardware support Fear (no idea what it require, I've just heard it's pretty resource intensive) then yes, it will run under Windows XP through bootcamp.

iTalk
21st November 2006, 10:28 AM
if I can ever get my stupid Half Life 2 installer discs to work again, I'm quite looking forward to playing through that on a 24" widescreen :D

Khaled: that's pretty stupid to post this sort of stuff.

JB

IIe2PB
21st November 2006, 08:43 PM
Does the KBD emulation generally work ok?

Alec Fraser
21st November 2006, 09:44 PM
Khaled: that's pretty stupid to post this sort of stuff.

JB

Why exactly is what I said stupid? The 4th disc in my set of original purchased Half Life 2 discs fails when trying to unpackage an icon file and then kicks out of the installer altogther, has done for about 6 months. The disc surface is fine, no scratches, nada.

Having a problem with a software installer doesn't make me a pirate mate. Nor does it make me stupid for complaining about the fact that the installer doesn't bloody work even though my discs are in perfect condition. Assuming that I'm a pirate based on my statement is pretty stupid.

Does the KBD emulation generally work ok?

I'm assuming that by KBD, you mean keyboard. If so the keyboard isn't emulated, it works pretty much like an ordinary multimedia keyboard. The drivers for the audio and eject function keys are part of the CD that bootcamp makes for you. The only thing I couldn't get working was Numlock...but to be honest I haven't tried much.

With the MB's and MBP's I think it also allows you to use :cmd: + click as a right click, although I'm not 100% sure because I've never bootcamped one of the new macbooks.

mjankor
21st November 2006, 09:52 PM
Why exactly is what I said stupid? The 4th disc in my set of original purchased Half Life 2 discs fails when trying to unpackage an icon file and then kicks out of the installer altogther, has done for about 6 months. The disc surface is fine, no scratches, nada.

Having a problem with a software installer doesn't make me a pirate mate. Nor does it make me stupid for complaining about the fact that the installer doesn't bloody work even though my discs are in perfect condition. Assuming that I'm a pirate based on my statement is pretty stupid.

I'm assuming that by KBD, you mean keyboard. If so the keyboard isn't emulated, it works pretty much like an ordinary multimedia keyboard. The drivers for the audio and eject function keys are part of the CD that bootcamp makes for you. The only thing I couldn't get working was Numlock...but to be honest I haven't tried much.

With the MB's and MBP's I think it also allows you to use :cmd: + click as a right click, although I'm not 100% sure because I've never bootcamped one of the new macbooks.

Don't worry springbok, Khaleb posted something that got edited, he wasn't critiquing your post.

Alec Fraser
21st November 2006, 09:57 PM
M'kay, I just assumed that it was directed at me suggesting I was a pirate. I'm still stuck at work waiting for a set of data copies to finish, so I've got my cranky pants on :P I didn't realise that it had been edited by a Mod until you pointed it out.