PDA

View Full Version : world travel adapter kit

_xfire
7th December 2004, 09:56 PM
so i'm going to japan at the end of january for a short holiday! :lol:
i plan on taking either or both of my beloveds (donnie the ipod and whitey the ibook).
just wondering if anyone has purchased the world travel adapter kit and wants to lend (or hire or whatever) to me the adaptor for japan?
my reasoning is, i can't justify spending the $80 on a set of adapters that i will most likely only use one of only once (hopefully this is not the case but i still don't think i'd be that much of a frequent traveller to justify buying a whole set).
thanks for your help!

PS: mods, i had no idea where to put this thread so feel free to move it to wherever you feel it's appropriate.

Disko
7th December 2004, 10:23 PM
I have no idea where to put it either. :)

Ozi
7th December 2004, 10:34 PM
yup... im stumped! :D

maybe into iPod? Or help? or possibly apple tech/general?

Meh lets leave it here for now. :)

yinyang
7th December 2004, 11:17 PM
i bought the wrold travel kit on the way to london, so if we can agree on a price i can send it down to you.

AUS$15 sound okay? (includes postage)

pm me if you're interested!

spargo
10th December 2004, 10:40 PM
Hi _xfire,

Personally, I couldn't justify the price of the Apple adapter kit when we left Brisbane to come over here, and I'm gonna be here and in Europe for years yet - I just brought a 3 pack of Korjo-brand general purpose country adaptors for like AUD$10 a pack, from Kathmandu or somewhere similar.. This pack covered the UK, Europe, US, Middle East, most of Asia (but not Japan) and more than does the trick, and you can also use them for mobile phones etc, instead of just for your Apple gear.. If you just want a Japan one, then I guess you'd buy seperately for about AUD$5-6 bucks

So we have our PowerBook, Airport Express, and iPod all with their Australian plugs over here, connected to the UK wall plugs or powerboards via the adaptors.. I needed to buy another Australia-UK plug for the Airport Express and they were similarly cheap over here/

When we went to Rome a few months ago we took just the Europe adaptor for the iPod charger and our mobile phone Australian plug-charger (didn't take the PBook), but if i go somewhere with both PB and iPod, I would probably just take the PBook charger, the country adaptor of choice, and just charge the iPod via FWire cable..

Here's a pic of what i'm talking about, and here is a link to more info about the Korjo range (http://www.menda.com.au/html/920000000.htm) - It's up to you, but personally I think for what it is and how often you'll use it, the adaptor kit is a rip-off..

http://www.gogogear.com.au/images/jap.jpg

http://www.gogogear.com.au/images/korjoadaptors.jpg

Currawong
11th December 2004, 08:09 AM
For my powerbook, since the PSU takes standard shaver cords, I went to a store in Japan and bought the most basic shaver cord I could find, and use that, as it's somewhat less bulky than the adaptors.

She
12th January 2005, 09:03 PM
A stupid lady at the store near me (which has now shut down) tried to convince me that I needed to purchase the World Travel Adaptor otherwise my laptop wouldnt work overseas.

I kept saying to her.. but the voltage range is universel and so shouldn't I simply be able to stick one of those plug adaptors on top of my existing adaptor for it to work?

She didn't listen.. she was convinced you needed the one they were selling :rolleyes:

spargo
12th January 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by She@Jan 12 2005, 11:03 AM
A stupid lady at the store near me (which has now shut down) tried to convince me that I needed to purchase the World Travel Adaptor otherwise my laptop wouldnt work overseas.

I kept saying to her.. but the voltage range is universel and so shouldn't I simply be able to stick one of those plug adaptors on top of my existing adaptor for it to work?

She didn't listen.. she was convinced you needed the one they were selling :rolleyes:
Hi She,

Just wanted to let you know that She was wrong (she was, not you).. A plug adaptor will work.

She is an idiot! (again.. her, not you)

Sheesh! :rolleyes: