PDA

View Full Version : Is a merge between IBM and Apple likely?

iluvmymactoo
7th December 2004, 02:29 PM
With IBM announcing the sale of their peecee division what do you think of the prospect that IBM and Apple might form a partnership?

Could we have IBM computers running OSX somewhere in the distant future? Could this lead to a wider corporate market using Macs?

Disko
7th December 2004, 02:32 PM
*moves to Apple discussion*

iSlayer
7th December 2004, 02:32 PM
doubt it.
ibm's computer business makes about 10% of their profits so its not a huge amount to them.
the only reason they make any money from it is becuase they have good laptops.
i think if they leave it will be for good

hawker
7th December 2004, 03:39 PM
won't happen. However, this does not mean we won't see Apple in parternship with IBM for future components for new Mac's.

Phillip
7th December 2004, 03:42 PM
Steve won't let it happen.

iluvmymactoo
7th December 2004, 03:51 PM
What you guys don't think it would be a good thing?

hawker
7th December 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Dec 7 2004, 03:51 PM
What you guys don't think it would be a good thing?
ever seen the movie "Sleeping with the Enemy"?

gelfie
7th December 2004, 05:13 PM
No, it wouldn't be a good thing. The company would just be too damn big. No one would know what each division was doing. It would be a nightmare.

Remember Taligent?

Besides, apple's schedule is full, what with the purchacing of Disney, and the merger with Sony, and lets not forget the shift to x86 AMD processors....

pipsqeek
8th December 2004, 07:10 AM
Ever seen the movie, "Pirates of Silicon Valley"?

pipsqeek

iluvmymactoo
8th December 2004, 07:46 AM
Now see this is the reason why Appletalk is better than the Apple Forum.

Realistic and honest view points :D

zefi
8th December 2004, 08:41 AM
I think what IBM is doing is basically restructuring its business focal point. It sold its Hard-Drive research facilities to Hitachi and with the imminent sale of its desktop business you can hazard a guess as to what IBM wants to do.

The desktop business is crowded as it is and I think IBM realises that it is not a sustainable business. With the new cpu chips in the next-gen consoles being all IBM, I personally believe they want to compete with Intel and AMD head on in the processor business and expand its server business also.

That's just my opinion. Apple is a little different in that regard, they are a lot more consumer-electronics focused and I think that working with Ol' Blue would not benefit that business focus at all. It be extremely ironic, but in reality - I don't think it will happen. There are a variety of other reasons why it isn't feasible, but I think it boils down to different business focus/philosophy.

I think Apple needs to refocus its business too, otherwise they run the risk of spreading themselves too thin.

the_argon
8th December 2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Dec 8 2004, 07:40 AM

pipsqeek
Exactly. IBM was always seen as the big bad. And it would go against everything that Apple stands for.

Where Apple have 'Think Different' IBM have their suits and ties (and no, they're not white suits.)

I cant imagine Steve sanding up presenting the next Apple product in a suit.

I can't see Apple merging with anyone because it is so different.

hawker
8th December 2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Dec 8 2004, 07:10 AM
I hope everyone has!

Phillip
8th December 2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Dec 8 2004, 11:50 AM
I hope everyone has!
I havn't :( Dunno where to get it :(

hawker
8th December 2004, 11:01 AM
No DVD in Australia. But try local video stores for a VHS copy, usually in "True Story" or "Sp Interest" sections stars Noah Wylie (as Steve Jobs)..........

the_OM
8th December 2004, 01:10 PM
Maybe Steve has changed his tune over the years. But I can't see it happening, he was pretty extreme when he gave his now-famous speech at the 84 annual meeting when they introduced the macintosh. It went along the lines of IBM being big brother and wanting it all, with Apple the only company in its way.

But you know, maybe with the rise of Microsoft and few others, steve has changed his opinion. But i can't see it happening, unless apple was going to be treated as a separate division, with its own culture, board, and employees. I don't think the apple we all know and love would survive it was integrated into ibm.

Phillip
8th December 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Dec 8 2004, 12:01 PM
No DVD in Australia. But try local video stores for a VHS copy, usually in "True Story" or "Sp Interest" sections stars Noah Wylie (as Steve Jobs)..........
I asked Blockbuster and VideoEzy a while ago with no luck :(

Is there a download of it on the net?

zefi
8th December 2004, 04:10 PM
You'll have to import via amazon.

elvis
9th December 2004, 11:42 AM
Apple and IBM a possibility?
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041207-4441.html

And now it's (almost) official... IBM sell the PC business off to Lenovo in China:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041208-4444.html

Apparently Dell are worried now that the Chinese are running it, as things will be cheaper and higher production than the Texas-based Dell.

The Beijing Government recently turned down a $30mil deal with Microsoft in favour of "built-by-China" software (ie: custom Linux distros). Now they have their own PC business too. It looks like they are sticking to their plan quite well to keep large western corporates out of China.

So now IBM will concentrate on PowerPC and POWER. Will they back MacOSX, or go their own line with Linux? The next 12 months are going to be VERY interesting. Lets hope we see a shift of power (no pun intended) at the server end of the spectrum, and maybe the desktop/workstation market will follow.

jeremy
9th December 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Dec 9 2004, 11:42 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041207-4441.html
Eh? The eMac doesn't have a powerpc processor? Last I checked it did. And apple still uses motorolla processors? Where?

hawker
9th December 2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Dec 8 2004, 01:10 PM
It went along the lines of IBM being big brother and wanting it all, with Apple the only company in its way.
The exert in that speech about IBM:
“…It is now 1984, it appears IBM wants it all, Apple is perceived to be the only hope to offer IBM a run for its money, dealers initially welcoming IBM with open arms now fear an IBM dominated and controlled future. They are increasingly turning back to Apple as the only force that can insure their future freedom…”

Exocet
9th December 2004, 04:18 PM
Ultimately it will require the approval of Shareholders, and I think most people would refuse to see Apple as anything other than Apple.

Danamania
9th December 2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremy@Dec 9 2004, 03:52 PM
Eh? The eMac doesn't have a powerpc processor? Last I checked it did. And apple still uses motorolla processors? Where?
the quote was:

"Their server line (Xserve) and most of their desktops (with the exception of the eMac) use IBM's PowerPC 970FX CPU"

So that's G5s in desktops with the exception of eMacs - the laptops also still use G4s (from motorola too)