PDA

View Full Version : Macbook => Macbook Pro upgrade

Comet
15th November 2006, 02:03 PM
Well, with a lot of issues on the original Macbook, I got the option to upgrade (had to pay the difference) to a macbook pro, and after waiting 3 days, the replacement machine has arrived. Its the 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo version, and my gosh these machines are a lot better. Of course you lose a bit in terms of size, but here are some of the things I noticed.

Wrist doesn't hurt when you type. That edge on the macbook got a bit annoying
Heat - gets warm, but no where as hot as the macbook
Weight - Doesn't feel as heavy
Noise - A lot more quiet, probably due to the heat

So if you're divided between the macbook pro and macbook, go for the macbook pro if you can afford it. I initially took the dive for the macbook because the price difference didn't seem to justify itself for what I do (I don't play games...). The only things I noticed better with the Macbook was the battery life, wireless reception, and smaller power brick.

Just wanted to give you guys the experience with the 2 machines.

dagaz
15th November 2006, 03:06 PM
Heat - gets warm, but no where as hot as the macbook
If you're comparing the new Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro to the old Core Duo MacBook, then yes, you would expect it to be a lot cooler. However, even the low end MacBooks are now Core 2 Duo which should make them run much cooler as well.

stevekicks
15th November 2006, 03:14 PM
i'm planning on 'downgrading' from a 2.16CoreDuo MBP to a Core2Duo black macbook. i dont need the video card and thats why i went for the mbp to start with. i havent really used it to this day. i feel size and battery life win over graphics performance.

Comet
15th November 2006, 04:11 PM
Indeed, the battery life of the macbook was awesome, but at the same time, there were way too many problems with my machine and the replacement. I hope your experience with the macbook will be a lot better.

As for the comment about the C2D version of Macbook being cooler, but I hear that they are still a bit hot

purana
15th November 2006, 04:12 PM
i'm planning on 'downgrading' from a 2.16CoreDuo MBP to a Core2Duo black macbook. i dont need the video card and thats why i went for the mbp to start with. i havent really used it to this day. i feel size and battery life win over graphics performance.

Similar to what I suspect my wife will do, drop from mbp 2.0 down to a black macbook c2d next year.

forgie
15th November 2006, 05:14 PM
Weight - Doesn't feel as heavy

Macbook:

Weight: 5.2 pounds (2.36 kg)

Macbook Pro:

Weight: 5.6 pounds (2.54 kg)

Is it just a psychological thing because the MBP is larger, so it feels less dense, rather then actually being lighter?

stevekicks
16th November 2006, 10:53 AM
Similar to what I suspect my wife will do, drop from mbp 2.0 down to a black macbook c2d next year.
well i'm not too sure now. apple are replacing my dud mbp 2.16 with a new core2duo as it's been through 4 logic boards within 2 weeks.

i was thinking about selling the replacement to get the macbook and pocketing the difference - but after borrowing a mates black macbook last night, i decided to keep the macbook pro.

quality seems to be alot higher on the finish. wasnt a fan of the mirror screen either - looks like i'll stay a mbp boy

deepspace
21st November 2006, 10:42 AM
well i'm not too sure now. apple are replacing my dud mbp 2.16 with a new core2duo as it's been through 4 logic boards within 2 weeks.
could you please tell me how you get the replacement option? through apple center or by calling apple customer service? i've got 2 logic boards replacement, not sure whether the third is waiting for me. just can't stand for the heat.