PDA

View Full Version : MacBook from Santa

bartron
12th November 2006, 10:04 PM
So I want to buy my significant other an entry level Macbook for Christmas. Her Toshiba laptop is getting on in age and she keeps complaining about it crashing all the time (it's around 4 years old).

I've got the finance side of things sorted..the only question is how soon before XMAS do I wait?
Get one now and hide it (and the hole in the bank account)?
Get one closer to XMAS in the hope there is a Leopard 'step up' program announced before then.

Granted, she wouldn't care if she had Tiger or Leopard...she'd be more concerned about where the missing mouse button went to (and where is the 'nipple' pointer she is used to?).

I'll need to buy from a place that has finance which means Domayne (using GE card) or DJ's (will need to apply)..... and I don't want to be lumped with a Core Duo unless they have them at a significant discount (i.e. old stock...which department stores 'will' have and 'will' try to pass off as the latest model).

Any thoughts?....I'm 98% sure I'm going to get one (pending some natural disaster) It's just a matter of timing.

Bartron

ominae
12th November 2006, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a nice present :P I recommend getting the mid-level macbook though for more RAM (512MB is not enough imo) and a superdrive

Currawong
12th November 2006, 11:42 PM
You're dead right department stores will try and flog a Core Duo model to you at the old price. Apple so desperately needs to open their own store in Oz. Over here in Japan, the day something is announced, it's in the store and all the demo models have been changed over the night before. You can also buy the ex-store demo models at a considerable discount...

bartron
13th November 2006, 08:30 AM
You're dead right department stores will try and flog a Core Duo model to you at the old price. Apple so desperately needs to open their own store in Oz. Over here in Japan, the day something is announced, it's in the store and all the demo models have been changed over the night before. You can also buy the ex-store demo models at a considerable discount...

I'll be either pushing for a core 2 or a discount on the old model.

As for the mid range, it isn't worth the extra $350 for this purpose. The larger hard drive will go unused as will the the superdrive and I can always get extra memory later (plus I'm building a small file server from an old sawtooth which will have a DVD burner as does my MBP). So still looking at an entry level MB...makes it handy as 18 months interest free = an easy $50 per fortnight.

Bartron

ilostmypassword
13th November 2006, 08:34 AM

AMEN!!!

decryption
13th November 2006, 08:34 AM
I'd hurry up and apply for the finance, it took me aggeess (like a month) to be eventually told I'm not eligible for it. Don't want to be left hanging around Christmas time, hah

bartron
13th November 2006, 08:40 AM
I'd hurry up and apply for the finance, it took me aggeess (like a month) to be eventually told I'm not eligible for it. Don't want to be left hanging around Christmas time, hah

I already have a GE card :eek: with plenty of space on it (remember kids...GE is evil.... EVIL!!!...) but we'll see if DJ's can come to the party.

brentd
13th November 2006, 08:50 AM
You might also want to check they have what you want in stock - my parents wanted to buy a MacBook (previous model 2GHz) from DJs in Adelaide, but after 3 weeks gave up waiting and grabbed one at Nextbyte.

Mind you if 3516'29.33"S 149 6'51.08"E is on the eastern coast I'd assume that you shouldn't have too much problem getting what you want.

MrJesseRoss
13th November 2006, 09:13 AM
I'd strongly recommend getting a DJs card. Don't forget, you get free gift wrapping when you buy with your DJs card! (I'm not even a salesperson and it still gets stuck in my head!:( )

bartron
13th November 2006, 09:16 AM
Mind you if 3516'29.33"S 149 6'51.08"E is on the eastern coast I'd assume that you shouldn't have too much problem getting what you want.

search in google maps then zoom out and you'll find out;)

Will take the advice about seeing what they have in stock though...will do the ring around today. (I know the Apple Centre down the road has them but they don't do finance :( )

thorevenge
13th November 2006, 09:42 AM

This can work in your favour though...

When I got my 40Gb 4G Photo I wasn't aware of the changes to the 20Gb being discontinued and the 30Gb 4G being released.

Instead, for what I was expecting to pay for a 20Gb and a dock ($559) I got a 40Gb Photo, with dock, AV cables, etc, for $549 because it was old stock.

So sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Needless to say the 4G is now dead, but when those video iPods come out I have all the AV cables that I need :)

bartron
17th November 2006, 09:11 AM
Santa came early this year ;)

Domayne had their regular 18 month interest free jobbies...for the cost of a MBP, $50 a fortnight will pay it off before interest kicks in :thumbup:. Also, they haven't received their shipment of core 2's yet so they are selling off the old ones at a slight discount (not much but better than nothing I guess).

I thought she would freak out at a $1700 laptop but she really likes it. She's put the old toshiba away for a day to see how she copes.

Her comment...."It matches my phone"

for sale soon...Toshiba laptop

Bartron

Wally
17th November 2006, 09:25 AM
Good to hear!
I expect to see her play around with these forums soon!

purana
17th November 2006, 09:25 AM
Hey thats good news, glad she loved it. Sounds like she will get some use out of this new one :)

SteveClark
17th November 2006, 09:28 AM
G'day Bartron

I used to work up the hill a bit from you - the Crop Adaptation building - in '95 and '96. We really enjoyed Canberra but Hamilton (sw Vic) is home.

My son ordered a Macbook from the Apple online shop last night. The order status today is:

Ships by 20-22/11/06
Delivers by 27-29/11/06

Hope that helps

Cheers
Steve

bartron
17th November 2006, 09:42 AM
G'day Bartron

I used to work up the hill a bit from you - the Crop Adaptation building - in '95 and '96. We really enjoyed Canberra but Hamilton (sw Vic) is home.

My son ordered a Macbook from the Apple online shop last night. The order status today is:

Ships by 20-22/11/06
Delivers by 27-29/11/06

Hope that helps

Cheers
Steve

Small world :-)

You wouldn't recognise the place now....Richard B moved out and we managed to clean his desk :D

Bartron