PDA

View Full Version : Macworld 2005

hawker
6th December 2004, 06:30 AM
95% Sure we'll see:

G5 speedbumped, either to say 3ghz, 2.5 ghz and 2ghz or Steve will go the whole hog and we'll see 3.5ghz, 3ghz, 2.5 ghz, and all will be liquid cooled.

iPod Mini update, 10GB version.

50% Sure we'll see:

All iPods updated to colour displays, iPod Mini and standard iPod will not take photos

eMac either speedbumped, made G5 or dumped!

Price drop on iPods accross the board

5% Sure we'll see:

G5 Powerbook :drool:

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 07:00 AM
50% sure we will see 5gb mini ipod

Phillip
6th December 2004, 08:02 AM
100% - Stevenote saying how much market share iTunes/iPod has, how many people use OS X, Retail and how many great stores, and more bullshit.

99% - iPod Flash of some kind, iPod mini up to 5 GB,

90% - iLife Update, GarageBand Audio Device

75% - PowerBook G5 or lame G4 update. Keynote Update.

25% - Xserve Update

Not going to happen - Price drops on iPods. No PowerMacs (yet). No new iMacs. No additional colour screens.

zefi
6th December 2004, 08:30 AM
I am sceptical about a iPod mini going anywhere past 5 gigs. And it makes no sense that Apple will make a flash based player, they aren't actively seeking to compete in that market. And if anything, their iPod mini is what is meant to entice those flash mp3 users to buy.

I am certain that iLife will be updated as will the Pro applications. I also hope that Apple will update Appleworks.

My controversial pick? Apple iPhone released ;)

iluvmymactoo
6th December 2004, 08:37 AM
0% - Apple 3 button BT mouse

:huh:

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 08:38 AM
iphone wont happen.
steve has repeatadly said apple wont do a pda/phone.
if you watch ther mac news site closely you would have seen that apple and motorola have already announced a deal in which itunes will run on motorola phones.
it was announced 5 months ago.
id be very suprised not to see a emac update.
it may not be a g5 though.but i reckon it will be :).
1.6ghz g5 emac

Devski
6th December 2004, 08:42 AM
I think a 5gb iPod mini is extremley unlikely.

Why?
Firstly, it's not enough of a change.

Secondly, the iPod mini uses a compact flash hard drive, which have become available in 8gb recently.

What do I reckon?
iPod mini (4gb) price drop to $349 (Aus)
iPod mini (8gb) available at $400-$450 (Aus)

Also, some new PowerBook config (17" and 12" have an entirely untouched form factor since MWSF 2002).

Something I'll REALLY want but can't justify due to a low WAF (wife approval factor).

(I love these debates).

Danamania
6th December 2004, 08:46 AM
I think Quadras will come back

And powerbook 500 models.

then steve will resign and I'll step in & run Apple. bwahah!

ajs
6th December 2004, 08:51 AM
99% possibility:
Steve wears a black mock turtleneck sweater
Steve waxes lyrical about sales figures
Steve sings the praises of the iPod and then gives us a market share breakdown
Steve boasts about the quality and progress of the Mac OS - maybe a few more previews of Tiger
Software:
iLife '05
Hardware:
updated PoweBooks - not sure whether they'll be G5 or dual core G4s though :huh:
introduction of a flash based iPod :D
iPod mini update to 5GB (but 10GB would rock!) B)
price drops across the iPod range :)

75% possibility:
Software
Keynote update
Hardware:
G5 tower speed bumps
eMac update

less than 50% possibility:
colour screens across the iPod range :o - although I will be more than happy to eat my words if this comes true! :drool:

not sure - out of left field maybe?
new iSight?
new Bluetooth keyboard/mouse?
some other piece of utility hardware as a surprise?

[edit]: Damn - I took way too long to make this post, when I started there were only two replies! I shouldn't have let myself get so sidetracked! :lol:

Devski
6th December 2004, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah...

95% Certainty we will see a release date for Tiger.

A solid chance it will be available immediately.

tempestas
6th December 2004, 08:56 AM
Lets see. DIY Rumours

90% Speed-bumped G5 of some description

90% New Countries to get iTms
10% Australia Being one of them :(

75% New Capacity iPod Mini with a new set of colours
75% New flash based iPod with clickwheel
75% iLife 05 Suite mild improvements but Tiger ready

50% New 2GHz Powerbook G4 range

25% Additional features in iPod photo and 4G to stay a bit further in front

10% Some funky demonstration Multimedia centre.

5% New 23" iMac G5 with TV tuner

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 08:56 AM
as for the ipod mini
a 5gb is very likely because 2 hd manufacturers make the 5gb drives that fit in the mini and we all know that apples current supplier cant meet demand.
having 2 suppliers would change that alot.
the drives may also be cheapers because the 4gb was only made by one manufacturer and the price they sell it for is roughly the same price you can go out an buy 2x250 gb sata desktop drives.

surely apple realise the advantage of having 2 manufacturers over 1 and will change

Disko
6th December 2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 6 2004, 09:08 AM
iphone wont happen.
steve has repeatadly said apple wont do a pda/phone.
if you watch ther mac news site closely you would have seen that apple and motorola have already announced a deal in which itunes will run on motorola phones.
it was announced 5 months ago.
And at that announcement Steve held an ipod in one hand and a motorolla in the other and announced to the audience "wouldn't it be cool if we could combine these two someday?"

... knowing the way steve jobs behaves, that is quite the hint, wouldn't you agree?

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 08:58 AM
and i also agree about steve's black top :)

i think steve will focus on tiger as the latest dev buils have been very impressive and its starting to look like the realease date could be well before june

the_argon
6th December 2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by danamania@Dec 6 2004, 09:16 AM
I think Quadras will come back

And powerbook 500 models.

then steve will resign and I'll step in & run Apple. bwahah!
Heh, give johnathon the sack and put me in charge of the design!

bring back the REAL Apple logo!

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Dec 6 2004, 08:58 AM
And at that announcement Steve held an ipod in one hand and a motorolla in the other and announced to the audience "wouldn't it be cool if we could combine these two someday?"

... knowing the way steve jobs behaves, that is quite the hint, wouldn't you agree?
i have to say i doubt that.

steve is not one for dropping hints.
apple have also been extreamly secrative about new products.

we all know that apple made a pda 2 years ago but scraped the project.
i dont see apple making a phone because the market isnt there.
there are already enough phones out there and theres nothing apple can do that nokia or motorola cant.

i believe an "iphone" product will be a motorola phone not an apple phone.

Disko
6th December 2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 6 2004, 09:31 AM
steve is not one for dropping hints.
rofl - well he did. :lol:

ajs
6th December 2004, 09:08 AM
Oh yeah ...

that GB audio device will make an appearance too - 'bout time they leveraged some of eMagic's prowess in this area. ;)

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:10 AM
i think it wasnt a hint.
i think while steve is heading the company there wont be a pda or phone.
sure its just my opinion, but steve is computer focused.
everything apple make is computer centric.
they dont make a habit of selling products that have no relation to computers.
a phone would be exactly that.
independant from computers and not apple's way.
10 years ago im sure they consided making a phone but after the huge failure of the newton i think they probably scraped that idea very quickly

the ipod is the furthest item from a computer apple make but its essentially a computer anyway.
and you need a computer to upload music to it.

i would love an apple phone or pda but i dont see it happening.
apple have a good partnership with motorola and any phone related products will most likley be linked with them.

Disko
6th December 2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 6 2004, 09:40 AM
sure its just my opinion, but steve is computer focused.
everything apple make is computer centric.
they dont make a habit of selling products that have no relation to computers.
a phone would be exactly that.
independant from computers and not apple's way.
10 years ago im sure they consided making a phone but after the huge failure of the newton i think they probably scraped that idea very quickly

the ipod is the furthest item from a computer apple make but its essentially a computer anyway.
and you need a computer to upload music to it.
Sorry to keep quoting you but...

A phone is also a computer - and pack it inside an iPod, and there is the "need of a computer to use" thing you are talking about. :)

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:18 AM
i guess if its inside an ipod it would be computer centric.
but could you image using an ipod as a phone.
not a good design and too big.

a phone is essentially a computer but i was trying to make the point thatm appple make products that link to dektop or notbook computers.
such as the ipod need a computer to upload.
a phone wouldnt need that making it a totally seperate item.

it just doesnt seem right to me.
why would apple try and break into that market which is controlled by nokia,motorla.......

there isnt room for them
especailly with apple's habit of having the dearest items on the market

i love apple as much as anyone but im happy for the iphone to be a rumor and nothing more

as you can see disko i love a good discussion :)

Devski
6th December 2004, 09:30 AM
Taking a step back from the release of the ultimate device.....

Integration of digital pocket devices is absolutely inevitable.
Making the device an extension of our PC is quite obvious.

The only debate is whether it happens now or in a few years.

(All my opinion of course)

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:32 AM
i say it happens the same year that steve quits or retires from apple.
not for a while.

sure in the future everything will be intergrated but not for many years

zen
6th December 2004, 09:35 AM
This is what I would love to see, will certainly buy one without a doubt B)

http://www.applele.com/img/picture_f_hipod_r02a.jpg
http://www.applele.com/img/picture_f_hipod_r02c.jpg

(Disko edit: removed hotlinked images)

Disko
6th December 2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 6 2004, 10:02 AM
sure in the future everything will be intergrated but not for many years
Isn't that why we all like Apple as a creative company? They always lead the market with their innovative products. I dare say that we wont see HP develop a phone/mp3 player (with the ipod's capacity) for many years - but with apple - i can see them integrating say a flash based ipod mini with a phone. :)

zen
6th December 2004, 09:39 AM
or alternatively, this could also work :)

http://www.applele.com/img/picture_e_hiphone_r09d.jpg
http://www.applele.com/img/picture_e_hiphone_r09c.jpg
http://www.applele.com/img/picture_e_hiphone_r09a.jpg

(Disko edit: removed hotlinked images)

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:41 AM
sure apple are a smart company but i think it will all come back to the newton.
apple dont always lead the market either.
let us not forget how long it took apple to use DDR ram in powermacs.
or 8x agp.
or choosing pci-e over the pci-x-big mistake

apple have been inovative with some things like the ipod and airport but they have also been years behind on other things.

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:43 AM
and that second pic is very cool.
not sure about the button design but its better then any other phone ive seen.

maybe a fliptop phone would be nicer ?

Disko
6th December 2004, 09:43 AM
mobile phones /= newton

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:58 AM
they are totally different but a similar market and a similar product.
with alot of mobiles now acting like pda's apple would have to consider those features.
and apple wont do a pda and thats for certain.

Lucas
6th December 2004, 10:10 AM
I am as much a nokia fan boy as an apple fan boy, I don't think it is likely. If it is though it won't be a normal phone. How about a PDA that has a built in phone +bluetooth for white headsets + a 4 gig hdd for music and ran a version of OSX with airport of course . Mmmmm my dream. Btw in my dream they also release ITMS.au. What would be cool though is a imac with a tv tuner card and remote. Why have a TV in a bedroom if you can have an imac. I would hate to see the emac dropped but improved would be cool.

yinyang
6th December 2004, 10:48 AM
what about the introduction of sir paul macartney as the new board member so that the court case can go away ;)

[sir paul walks on in matching black turtleneck, designed by his daughter of course...!?]

would love to see a powerbook update, either a dual core, or maybe 2.0GHz G4, but something to tide us over until a G5, whenever that will now be....

maybe a colour mini with 5Gb?

decryption
6th December 2004, 11:16 AM
There won't be a flash based iPod. Steve's been bagging flash based MP3 players since the first iPod. Plus, 256MB of storage is just shit anyways. Why dilute the current iPod range by introducing an inferior product?

And the iPod mini *does not* use a compact flash hard drive. There is no such thing. It uses a Hitachi 4GB Microdrive, which is a hard drive the same size as a compact flash card. The iPod mini, with colour screen and a 5GB drive will be a nice addition. Wether Apple does it or not, I don't know.

And with Apple's computer range, I have no fucking idea. The eMac may get something, it's a little stale, 1.5GHz G4 perhaps, but yeah, it's alllll heavy speculation.

Devski
6th December 2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Dec 6 2004, 11:16 AM
And the iPod mini *does not* use a compact flash hard drive. There is no such thing. It uses a Hitachi 4GB Microdrive, which is a hard drive the same size as a compact flash card.

OK. It's a hard-drive in a Compact Flash form factor with a Compact Flash interface.

I think 'Compact Flash Hard Drive' is a little catchier though.

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 11:32 AM
well most people will disagree with you comment on a flash based ipod.
the rumors suggest that apple has infact already made one ready to launch

Disko
6th December 2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 6 2004, 12:02 PM
well most people will disagree with you comment on a flash based ipod.
the rumors suggest that apple has infact already made one ready to launch
rumors would also suggest an iPhone. :P

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 11:35 AM
rumors suggest a possibility of an iphone.
they dont suggest that apple has made one and its ready to ship

Disko
6th December 2004, 11:38 AM
rumors also suggest a possibilty of santa claus exisiting. :)

hawker
6th December 2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Dec 6 2004, 11:38 AM
rumors also suggest a possibilty of santa claus exisiting. :)
Disko? what Santa doesn't exist, waaahhhhh, he was going to bring me a Dual 2.5 Ghz G5 this year!!! NOOOOO!!!!

/anyone who takes this seriously, slap yourself in the back of the head.

Lucas
6th December 2004, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at a flash ipod. I know Steve bagged them but if the ipod / mini etc are failing to get market share in places like South East Asia, India, China and Eastern Europe - a cheaper ipod for these markets makes sense. Who better than Apple to control which of there products are sold where.

It could have the same design - interface and "feel"

It could be done cheaper in those markets to brand apple in emerging markets, Getting market share in developed areas is harder than creating a market in emerging areas. No stigma or mis- information to work against.

/\ Then again maybe they won't do a flash player

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 11:58 AM
a 1gb flash ipod would be cool

Radar
6th December 2004, 03:34 PM
It would be cool to see a flash based iPod, but realistically I don't think we will see it happen. I'm tempted to say that it would be a failure if it did come into existance, but people said that about the mini didn't they?

Realistically also I doubt we will see a color screen on the mini. It would require more power would it not? Which would mean a new battery, and the iPod photo's battery would be way to big. I'm pretty certain there will be a memory bump up to 5GB at least, with 8 a possibility. One thing I think they may have up their sleaves are new colors, or combinations of colors. Dalmation and Flower Power mini's anyone?

iPhone will not happen this centurary, and if it does, I'll eat my hat.

eMac's are due for a spped bump, as are PowerBooks. A G5 powerbook is not likely to show up, but I wouldn't rule it out. We will probably see some sort of bump to the iMac G5 aswell, just a gut feeling.

Software wise, probably iLife'05, however they will also come up with something fairly new and from left field as part of this package. What's the bet for another Garage Band jam pack aswell? Tiger previews will be everywhere, probably a release date and a few Longhorn attacks

_xfire
6th December 2004, 03:57 PM
TIGER
honestly...
haven't they been saying Early 2005?
and there have been hints at a flash based mp3 but i don't really care.

Phillip
6th December 2004, 03:59 PM
100% The Bill & Melinda gates foundation announces it has bought Apple :o

Flash iPods don't just have to be 256 mb ones. I doubt Apple will make a 256. It would be something like 2GB or 1GB. Something they could say "500 songs in you pocket" for $199 USD or something.

PowerMac updates are near impossible since IBM are still suffering from moto disease.

Nothing on the white iPods. They have JUST been updated and changing them is just plain stupid.

yinyang
6th December 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Radar@Dec 6 2004, 03:34 PM
Tiger previews will be everywhere, probably a release date and a few Longhorn attacks
i think microsoft are more than capable enough of attacking longhorn themselves without any assistance from apple.... :lol:

the_OM
6th December 2004, 04:04 PM
i think we'll see a motorola phone with itunes software..... my guess is thats the closest thing going around to the rumoured "iphone". the phone will probably have about a gig of memory or something, but we'll see.

New hardware will be the audio controller that they developed with the guys from emagic. Maybe we'll see updated powermacs..... but that problem with that is unless its some huge landmark achievement.... like 3.5ghz or close to where intel is today, then I'm not sure if its macworld keynote worthy, they usually just issue a press release and give it the front page of apple.com for these kinds of things.

I definately think we'll see new ipods, be it mini's or flash based. But as with the current trend of steve's keynotes, about an hour or so will be dedicated to some music related activity.

Of course, if there are no majot hardware updates/releases, then tiger will be put through its paces on stage for quite a while. We might even get a release date, but i'm not holding my breath on that. ilife '05 will probably be showcased as well. Maybe some new software that totally blows people away like garageband did last year.

We'll also hear how kick ass the ipods and imacs are going. It kinda sucks hearing that stuff now at keynotes, because its the same things time and time again. "we're dominating music downloads, all the others combined aren't as good as we are, we dominate portable players.... blah blah blah". Its getting kinda old hearing that stuff time and time again.

Anyways, besides the opening 20 minutes when the ipod and music numbers are being shown in all their glory, the rest of it should be fun.

Phillip
6th December 2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by _xfire@Dec 6 2004, 04:57 PM
TIGER
honestly...
haven't they been saying Early 2005?
and there have been hints at a flash based mp3 but i don't really care.
Tiger won't be ready until at least something like March.

Rayd
6th December 2004, 04:55 PM
110% chance of steve to cough disgustingly and violently then drink a bottle of water on every 2nd word.

zefi
6th December 2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Dec 6 2004, 09:13 AM
Sorry to keep quoting you but...

A phone is also a computer - and pack it inside an iPod, and there is the "need of a computer to use" thing you are talking about. :)
Also there were confirmed reports of a Sony/Apple collaboration on a phone, except the business relationship didn't go smoothly at all. It definitely indicates it has been on the cards.

And @ ipod_man: he did just have cancer. I think he's entitled to cough disgustingly :)

Rayd
6th December 2004, 05:24 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("zefi")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>And @ ipod_man: he did just have cancer. I think he&#39;s entitled to cough disgustingly [/b][/quote]
well if he had cancer he shouldnt be up there in the first place ;)

p996911turbo
6th December 2004, 07:41 PM
So, when is the first Macworld of 2005? And do I delay buying my G5 until after it?

Paxton
6th December 2004, 08:00 PM
And now the big question, will it be broadcasted, and if so, live, or like WWDC delayed? I watched this year&#39;s live, and was nearly murdered when i returned to bed, because of the loud applause, and the agreeing with Steve at the top of my voice. I now almost have all of the software announced at MWSF, including MS Office. I would like to know one thing, what computer does Steve use? Is it a top of the line G5, or Steve&#39;s personal home computer, again, a G5, or a G4. What do you guys think?

My product forecasts:
Faster G4 PowerBook
iLife &#39;05
Tiger release date

Phillip
6th December 2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by p996911turbo+Dec 6 2004, 08:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (p996911turbo &#064; Dec 6 2004, 08:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> So, when is the first Macworld of 2005? And do I delay buying my G5 until after it? [/b]
I seriously doubt there will be new G5s in Macworld. If you can wait, then wait till WWDC 05. Half a year away.

<!--QuoteBegin- paxtonandrew@Dec 6 2004, 09:00 PM
And now the big question, will it be broadcasted, and if so, live, or like WWDC delayed? I watched this year&#39;s live, and was nearly murdered when i returned to bed, because of the loud applause, and the agreeing with Steve at the top of my voice. I now almost have all of the software announced at MWSF, including MS Office. I would like to know one thing, what computer does Steve use? Is it a top of the line G5, or Steve&#39;s personal home computer, again, a G5, or a G4. What do you guys think?[/quote]

Macworld would have to be live. It&#39;s the years biggest Mac event and its been live every year. Steve uses a top of the line G5 which Garageband still seems to lag on.

Paxton
6th December 2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Dec 6 2004, 08:00 PM
Macworld would have to be live. It&#39;s the years biggest Mac event and its been live every year. Steve uses a top of the line G5 which Garageband still seems to lag on.
Ok, thanks. I always assumed MWSF to be live, and hopefully this is going to continue this year. Hey the_argon, will there be a #apple broadcast for the event? France was an experience, and hopefully MWSF will be as big, or have the irc folk got to sleep in?

Atomac
6th December 2004, 08:36 PM
Remember the iMac G5 launch...

I predict another demonstration of the wonders of Tiger. As for new hardware: iPod updates or releases are a definite. G5s will stay as is - why move up to 3.0 Ghz when you can&#39;t supply 2.5 Ghz machines. eMacs are a possibility although it has been rumoured that G4 eMacs are back in production. Powerbooks will, at most, get a G4 speed bump, no G5. iBooks stay the same. iPhone is stupid - it is a bloated market with little money to be made unless you are BIG.

To take your minds off things have a look at this (dial up users be warned it is big):

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

Exocet
6th December 2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Dec 6 2004, 08:18 PM
Ok, thanks. I always assumed MWSF to be live, and hopefully this is going to continue this year. Hey the_argon, will there be a #apple broadcast for the event? France was an experience, and hopefully MWSF will be as big, or have the irc folk got to sleep in?
:ph34r: France Feed :ph34r:

Where do you think I got my custom title from? B)

mbd
6th December 2004, 11:09 PM
Further predictions:

- Steve will say &#39;Oat-amatically&#39; instead of Automatically.
- Phil Schiller will be excited in a video
- Jonathan Ives will wear a plain t-shirt and froth about design
- Some star (music/television/film/corporate, i.e., bono, moby, seal, black eyed peas, bob pittman, frodo) will say how much they love the new product and want to get the first one available.
- your live stream will break apart audio and/or video wise just as something exciting is about to happen, but remain perfect while they announce the new version of Mathematica.

:-)

I want something exciting and new, but I won&#39;t hold my breath. most of the keynotes really do shy on the more conservative rumours. So, I doubt there&#39;ll be an iphone. I doubt there&#39;ll be g5 powerbooks yet, and I don&#39;t expect much other than new software, tiger release date announced, and some speed/size bumps.

Phillip
6th December 2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Dec 7 2004, 12:09 AM
- Steve will say &#39;Oat-amatically&#39; instead of Automatically.
- Phil Schiller will be excited in a video
- Jonathan Ives will wear a plain t-shirt and froth about design
- Some star (music/television/film/corporate, i.e., bono, moby, seal, black eyed peas, bob pittman, frodo) will say how much they love the new product and want to get the first one available.
- your live stream will break apart audio and/or video wise just as something exciting is about to happen, but remain perfect while they announce the new version of Mathematica.

:-)

I want something exciting and new, but I won&#39;t hold my breath. most of the keynotes really do shy on the more conservative rumours. So, I doubt there&#39;ll be an iphone. I doubt there&#39;ll be g5 powerbooks yet, and I don&#39;t expect much other than new software, tiger release date announced, and some speed/size bumps.
LOL.

Last ones classic :lol: <_<

Thanks to all the rumor sites now, I find all keynotes a bit boring on new stuff. Yet, its exciting watching old keynotes because I didn&#39;t hear rumors for them.

Ozi
7th December 2004, 12:03 AM
hay... im excited about mathematica&#33;

my AUD&#036;0.02 worth is this: no iPhones (although they would be awesomely cool and awesome... a click wheel to navigate your phone&#33; rock on&#33; :))

I think speed bumping of the G4 powerbooks, but only to tide us over until G5 is ready to put in the pBook range.

Also, iLife upgrades, nothing major, and maybe upgrades of the iPod mini line to 5GB and definantly flash iPods.

Edge
7th December 2004, 01:22 AM
Steve emerges, a shaved ape jumping around hysterically to cheesy &#39;feel-good&#39; rock, clapping his hands and screeching "..... I .... LOVE ..... THIS ..... COMPANY ....."

...... as I wake up in the dead of night, sweating profusely, quickly realising it was all a nightmare; Steve Ballmer (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2753) doesn&#39;t work for Apple.

hawker
7th December 2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Edge@Dec 7 2004, 01:22 AM
Steve Ballmer (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2753) doesn&#39;t work for Apple.
and aren&#39;t we over the moon about that&#33;&#33;&#33;

iSlayer
7th December 2004, 07:32 AM
hmm Steve Ballmer at Macworld.
maybe he will introduce the iPhone
or the powerbook G6(yes G6)

I want to see Phil Schiller do the monkey dance :)

DVD Plaza
26th December 2004, 10:35 AM
Something BIG is coming guys...

A mate of mine who works for Apple mentioned the other day that 3 Apple execs are coming to Sydney in January for MacWorld - something BIG is going on. As usual though, they aren&#39;t being told anything...

I&#39;m guessing ITMS Australia will finally launch, I&#39;ve no doubt that&#39;s what it is.

Otherwise if not, it must be some phenomenal piece of hardware/software...? But then when the hell are we getting ITMS Australia... ?

zac
26th December 2004, 11:44 AM
3 Apple Execs&#33; Yes at that Macworld event in the city&#33; Excellent. My guess is the iPhone revolution. Apple has been secretly setting up giant airport networks in every city and thanks to Motorola&#39;s help have developed the iPhone for absolutely 100% free communication. Eddy Cue did say they were developing something together on AppleInsider. I also belive Apple will kill the eMac product line and bring out a cheap iMac Mini 15" in colors. Got an iPod? Get an iMac. Got an iPod Mini? Get a matching 15" iMac mini. Much better than the ugly CRT eMac which has its own insane product line. It would probably be cheaper for apple to manufacture a smaller iMac anyway with a better economy of scale. This feels like a big macworld guys, definetaly keynote 2 and powerbooks. No iBooks or Powermacs though.

Paxton
26th December 2004, 12:53 PM
Does anybody know about this &#39;free&#39; Macworld event that some of us me have applied for. Is it an invitation event, and should we expect some form of invitation, or are we just showing up? I am looking forward to the new products to be announced and released, and with the execs in Sydney, it will be a HUGE year. Go Apple.

zac
26th December 2004, 04:41 PM
Yes your invited Paxton: http://support.apple.com.au/seminars/mwsf2005/

Paxton
26th December 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by zac@Dec 26 2004, 04:41 PM
Yes your invited Paxton: http://support.apple.com.au/seminars/mwsf2005/
So what do we do now, just show up on the day? or do we expect a email invite to print and show?

zac
26th December 2004, 08:10 PM
I didnt get an email invite. When you sign up it says see you there, so I guess we just show up. I am =).

-Z

nicwithsticks
28th December 2004, 04:10 PM
Ooooh everyones excited about MacWorld. I just hope it delivers, especially on the iTMS front. Anywho, here are my predictions (and/or questions...) :

- More Tiger previews and possibly a release date. Los of builds have been floating around lately, so it cant be far off.

- eMac upgrade needs to happen. Not only is it a bit on the stale front, the video hardware isnt supported by Core Video: a massive Tiger feature. In an ideal world, the eMac would be headless, but that&#39;s probably not going to happen.

- Powerbooks may receive some sort of enhancement since there is not much seperating them and the iBook G4&#39;s after their last revision. Not sure if would be G5 based though. Weren&#39;t they looking into another chip by Freescale to replace the G4? I could be wrong, but i dont think G5 is ready for portable use just yet.

- Apple software updates like keynote. It hasnt receieved an update yetso it seems logical. Maybe some other hardware like that GarageBand device rumor that was floating around a few weeks ago.

Anywho, that&#39;s just my 2c....

sillydog701
29th December 2004, 06:12 PM
No official AppleTalk Australia prediction in News section this time? Or prediction from the admins or moderators of AppleTalk Autralia?
(reference (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=838))

Ozi
29th December 2004, 07:03 PM
I think the tsunami and associated charities takes preference, this year.

And anyways, this thread has been contributed to by many informed and intelligent members of Appletalk, so I dont see any pressing need for a news item which would displace the tsunami appeal.

Disko
29th December 2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701@Dec 29 2004, 06:42 PM
No official AppleTalk Australia prediction in News section this time? Or prediction from the admins or moderators of AppleTalk Autralia?
(reference (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=838))
Why don&#39;t you post somethign of your own, sillydog? then i can be a condecending arse and shoot your guesses down. :)

Ozi
29th December 2004, 07:21 PM
heres a closeup of the affected region. :(

It was a massive and repeated seismic event.

sillydog701
29th December 2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Dec 29 2004, 07:09 PM
Why don&#39;t you post somethign of your own, sillydog? then i can be a condecending arse and shoot your guesses down. :)
I wish I could. Since my posts won&#39;t represent AppleTalke Autralia, or being in the News section, it won&#39;t help much by shooting me down. :) However, you are free, and actually encouraged, to shoot me :D

zac
29th December 2004, 11:36 PM
Well, its all relevant. If you check http://www.apple.com you&#39;ll see they have nobly replaced their advertisements with a heartfelt message and a few donation buttons. I dont see microsoft doing the same...

en.elle
29th December 2004, 11:50 PM
Don&#39;t forget those jeans&#33; :blink:

decryption
29th December 2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by en.elle@Dec 30 2004, 12:50 AM
Don&#39;t forget those jeans&#33; :blink:
What are you on about en.elle? :P

Atomic
30th December 2004, 12:13 AM
I think we will definitely see Powerbook updates. I can only hope Apple has secured the new Freescale 7448 processor that uses 90Nm SOI fabrication process and now supports 1Mb of L2 cache and a 200MHz bus speed as opposed to the current 167MHz. This combination of improvements will boost speed significantly.

This new chip is also capable of Dynamic Frequency Switching (DFS) that enables divide-by-two and divide-by-four modes for improved power saving. EG. CPU frequency = 1000MHz 4 = 200MHz in power saving mode (previously, it was only divide-by-two capable)

OR (& highly unlikely)

Apple moves to the new Freescale MPC8641D processor which is a dual core Power PC. One of the significant advantages of the MPC8641D is the fully integrated MPX bus that can run three to four times faster than an external MPX bus. In addition, the MPC8641D features an integrated dual-memory controller that provides support for both DDR and DDRII memories providing more bandwidth and reduced latency during memory accesses and supports PCI Express.

Previously, two processors ran in symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) mode connected to a system controller by a system bus. These three separate chips can be replaced by one MPC8641D processor.

I doubt it will happen though because Apple would need to revise its motherboard design to get this chip in there. Apple are no doubt working on getting a G5 in their powerbooks but unless for some reason they know for sure they simply cannot get a G5 in a portable for some time, the MPC8641D might be plausible.

Exocet
30th December 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Dec 29 2004, 11:59 PM
What are you on about en.elle? :P
I think they were replying to the comment "What are we going to see?" Of course, without a doubt there&#39;ll be blue jeans and a black turtleneck.

decryption
30th December 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Exocet@Dec 30 2004, 01:16 AM
I think they were replying to the comment "What are we going to see?" Of course, without a doubt there&#39;ll be blue jeans and a black turtleneck.
Ohhhh, I knew I misread something :(

decryption
1st January 2005, 12:28 PM
What I reckon we&#39;ll see at MacWorld:

- Headless Macintosh. You saw my specs in my headless Mac thread :)

- iLife &#39;05. General updates and new features for the current suite.

- iWorks &#39;05. AppleWorks needs an urgent replacement, so the codename Sugar, Crossbow and Slingshot will be combined with an updated Keynote to make iWorks, a low cost suite of apps which will replace Office for the majority of Mac users. Word processing (Word), presentation (Keynote), Spreadsheet (Excel) and Desktop Publishing (Publisher) will come with every Mac sold :D

- FireWire Audio Input device. Something to plug a guitar/microphone/LP player/MIDI device into, perfect companion for Garageband, Soundtrack and even Logic.

- PowerBook speed bumps. I think we&#39;ll see 1.5GHz 12" and 15", as well as 1.7GHz 15" and 17" PowerBooks. Upgrade to the SuperDrive also, using NEC&#39;s new laptop dual layer DVD burner. Quiet mention for this.

- Entire SuperDrive upgrades to the new DL range of burners. Probably Pioneer&#39;s DVR-108 in the PowerMacs and NEC&#39;s drive in everything else. A quiet release, probably a brief mention saying "We&#39;re upgrading our SuperDrives to Dual Layer so you can fit 8.whatever GB on a disc, etc."

- Upgrade iPod mini to 5GB. Same format, same features, just the new 5GB HDDs from Seagate. No iPod flash, no regular iPod updates.

- iTMS in Australia and Japan. Two of the last major markets for iTMS finally filled. (Though, I wonder about Russia and other bits of Europe?)

- Tiger release date, some time in March, to coincide with the headless Mac. People would be pretty pissed off if they bought the new Mac, then two months later, had to pay for the new OS.

And yeah, that&#39;s pretty much it. A nice beefy MacWorld :D
Some of the smaller things might only get a 1 minute mention at the actual keynote, so I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if all this actually *does* happen.

Ozi
1st January 2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@Dec 30 2004, 01:13 AM

This new chip is also capable of Dynamic Frequency Switching (DFS) that enables divide-by-two and divide-by-four modes for improved power saving. EG. CPU frequency = 1000MHz 4 = 200MHz in power saving mode (previously, it was only divide-by-two capable)

isnt that 250MHz? :P

And I agree that the dual-core thing is more likely. :)

Atomic
1st January 2005, 01:00 PM
:huh: ooops - yes - typo. :rolleyes:

p996911turbo
2nd January 2005, 05:19 PM
Here&#39;s hoping that they will uncripple the superdrives with a firmware update&#33;

pipsqeek
2nd January 2005, 09:52 PM
Colour iPod (and/or Mini) with iChat AV support.

:D :D :D Free video phone calls&#33;&#33;&#33; :D :D :D

Ozi
2nd January 2005, 10:05 PM
I will be annoyed if they bring out colour minis now. :o However the 5GB is an almost certainty now, and we just need to prod skype enough to give us free video calls as well as free voice IP. :lol:

the_argon
3rd January 2005, 01:14 AM
lol, all this fuss reminds me of The Apple Product Cycle (http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/).

:D

tempestas
3rd January 2005, 11:11 AM
Decryption, you sound like you know something - do you have a source? ;)

decryption
3rd January 2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by tempestas@Jan 3 2005, 12:11 PM
Decryption, you sound like you know something - do you have a source? ;)
*taps nose and winks*

the_argon
3rd January 2005, 11:50 AM
One thing I would really like to see is an upgrade to the screen res of the 12" PowerBook. If that&#39;s the case then i&#39;ll be in at the local Apple store quick smart.

zac
5th January 2005, 09:04 PM
Damn, apple emailed me a few hours ago and said I could not attend sydney macworld, apologised for the confusion and claimed it was only for Authorised Apple Resellers. Ow..