PDA

View Full Version : *URGENT* Please Read.

mjankor
5th December 2004, 11:49 PM
Just a heads up.

Be very careful with buying/selling on here. I just had a rather unusual conversation with the fellow selling the Logitech MX 1000. Have a look in that thread if you would like to know more.

Be very careful who you buy stuff from. Make sure they have some way of providing identity or a referee. As Appletalk can't police the forums and who uses them like eBay can it's up to the users to make sure they are comfortable with who their buying stuff from.

tranp
6th December 2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks for that! I tend to only do local trades of gear as I (or the person wanting to buy) can actually look at the stuff beforehand.

Ozi
6th December 2004, 12:04 AM
Well it is important to take this opportunity to remind all Appletalk members to always exercise caution when doing any sort of internet transaction.

Like in eBay with its "feedback" system, it is a good idea to make sure the person doing the selling has been around for a while. There is always the chance that someone will join our forum, and will immediately post an item for sale, despite not knowing any of the forum members, or having really become a part of the community. In this case, it is wise to see them as "Low feedback" eBay users are seen: with caution.

There will always be dishonest people looking to make a quick buck, and it is sad but necessary for this issue to be raised in our forum.

Common sense tips:

Check that they have real photos of the item: make sure they are not merely pictures taken off the product website, or found using a google images search. Requesting photos goes part of the way to ensuring they do actually have what they are selling.

Check they have been a member for some time, and have invested time into the community, and are not merely internet drifters who come and go.

Ask for a phone number and even an address before sending any money. Confirm these details with Whitepages or by calling them.

Arrange to go and look at the item, if possible. This is proof positive that they own it.

Arrange to pay face to face if you live nearby. This will mean there is no chance of them receiving the money and then not posting the item, or them claiming your money "didnt get through" etc.

Use common sense when meeting them: stranger danger and all that. Meet somewhere well lit and public. If they say "bring $3000 for this G5... i will meet you in Dodgydark Alley, St Kilda" then obviously warning bells should be going off, and common sense should prevail.

I have bought a number of items through this forum, and all times it has gone smoothly due to application of at least some of the above guidlines.

The Trading Forum is a great resource to all of us, but must be used with caution and intelligence, to gaurd against possible fraud.

~Ozi.

mjankor
6th December 2004, 12:05 AM
Yeah I'll try and keep this bumped for a little while. If it's a scam it's quite a good one and I'd expect he'll be back.

Of course if it's all a mistake on my behalf then I apologise profusely but my suspicions are the gear's stolen or it's pure fraud.

hawker
6th December 2004, 06:25 AM
I'll only deal with forum regulars! I think alot of you should also do this.

Gothikon
6th December 2004, 06:49 AM
Not sure how much it helps but on overclockers.com.au I think you have to have been a member for either 30 or 60 days before you can use the trading area.

Personally I'd just prefer to have a feedback system like eBay.

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 07:02 AM
yeah a rating system could work.

personally i along with many others list my trades in my sig.
that way someone can easily contact one of them.

zen
6th December 2004, 07:30 AM
Personally I don't agree with a rating system or the so call 'only-trade-with-the-regulars'.

I've done over $10k of transactions on OCAU/eBay/Appletalk in the past few years and no major hick-up's. It was a pain in the arse to start off with since a lot of people judge people by those previous statements.

A person with high post counts and a regular might not be exacly that great to deal with. No pun intended.

My rule is either when your buying or selling. Be professional with the responses, show them your serious. Provide relevant identification information (eg. residence address and a work email perhaps) but it all comes down to trust. If you don't think that person is reliable walk away.

mjankor
6th December 2004, 07:38 AM
Yes Zen, I agree with that too. Hopefully my chat log in the MX1000 thread will show people something usefull

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 07:40 AM
yeah it did sound a bit dodgy.
well i can vouch for mjankor along with others.
ive bought 5 items and all have gone perfactly

AusMac
6th December 2004, 07:41 AM
I agree with what you say Zen about .. impossible to rate other than by experience.

High post counts means nothing.. they could all have been repeat posts of a huge sig pic and no content.

When it all boils down if you cannot look at and touch the product nor have the choice of putting cash in a real hand .. then leave the sale to someone who can.

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 07:45 AM
there are times when its hard to actually see an item.
sure alot of you guys live in melb,syd,adelaide....
but i live in tas.
makes it hard for someone to see the item before they buy it.

mjankor
6th December 2004, 09:10 AM
OK guys. Just an update.

See the Logitech MX1000 thread for more info. Turns out he was just disconnected and was unable to reconnect. He sent me an email with photos and proof of purchase .

iSlayer
6th December 2004, 09:12 AM
hehe
bet you feel a bit stupid mjankor :)
never hurts to be careful

Disko
6th December 2004, 09:15 AM
Let this be a lesson to all who make a conclusion at 12am and scathe another member. :)

*closed*