PDA

View Full Version : MyMac or Streetwise? Not Sure what to choose

AppleXY
5th December 2004, 08:33 AM
Yo, people I need help choosing a centre to buy my 15" PowerBook/SD with 2gb of ram. Which store should I buy from MyMac Professional or Streetwise, Streetwise has great prices, tons of tons apple stuff; but I'm not sure of their customer service, and not sure if they'll install my 2gb of ram into my pb for me. But in MyMac Pro; I read their have excellent customer service, and their have a service centre; so they can install my ram for me, with a small additional price. But I'm not sure how much their ram costs, and have no discounts for Powerbooks (Still the R.R.P 3,999); also not sure if they hav Virtual PC. But they'll help me alot!

I dunno what to choose? :unsure: the discounts and free airport express or good customer service?

Special Thanks!!!!! ;)

decryption
5th December 2004, 09:40 AM
Streetwise will give you excellent customer service :)

Currawong
5th December 2004, 10:11 AM
You can come and talk to Adam, aka Blakat, one of the salespeople at Streetwise on #apple (http://www.appletalk.com.au/irc.php) if you like :)

MacNut
5th December 2004, 10:53 AM
I have purchased from Streetwise on a number of occassions and have nothing but praise for their service :D

OziMac
5th December 2004, 10:55 AM
I third the Streetwise choice between those two.

Though I would also recommend Desktop Power or Apple Centre Moonee Ponds in the alternative.

[EDIT] If Streetwise are giving you a free Airport Express then they are definitely the way to go. They have terrific customer service.

However, remember that you can buy the RAM chips wherever you like (as long as it meets the specs - namely good quality PC2700 SO-DIMMs) and install them yourself - very very easy to do, and there are instructions on how to do so in the User's Guide.

macmate
5th December 2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by AppleXY@Dec 5 2004, 08:33 AM
Yo, people I need help choosing a centre to buy my 15" PowerBook/SD with 2gb of ram. Which store should I buy from MyMac Professional or Streetwise, Streetwise has great prices, tons of tons apple stuff; but I'm not sure of their customer service, and not sure if they'll install my 2gb of ram into my pb for me. But in MyMac Pro; I read their have excellent customer service, and their have a service centre; so they can install my ram for me, with a small additional price. But I'm not sure how much their ram costs, and have no discounts for Powerbooks (Still the R.R.P 3,999); also not sure if they hav Virtual PC. But they'll help me alot!

I dunno what to choose? :unsure: the discounts and free airport express or good customer service?

Special Thanks!!!!! ;)
you get the airport express from anyone you buy it from, even my mac.

and if i catch anyone in Desktop power then they need their heads checked. i'd go mymac by a mile.

any mac place should install ram for free. if they don't then go elsewhere.

OziMac
5th December 2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by macmate@Dec 5 2004, 11:26 AM
you get the airport express from anyone you buy it from, even my mac.

and if i catch anyone in Desktop power then they need their heads checked. i'd go mymac by a mile.

any mac place should install ram for free. if they don't then go elsewhere.
Mate, your crusade against Desktop Power is a little disturbing. Just because you had a bad experience there while doing work experience there doesn&#39;t preclude the place from being a good reseller for many, if not most, others. <_<

There are many resellers that offer poor service and a generally negative experience - Desktop Power is not one of them, by a mile.

And, not that you have already, but be careful not to get carried away with your criticism either - libelling them explicitly pretty much violates Appletalk&#39;s code of conduct (as stated on many occasions by Disko and decryption), namely not to target negative comments at specific stores. :)

macmate
5th December 2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Dec 5 2004, 11:47 AM
Mate, your crusade against Desktop Power is a little disturbing. Just because you had a bad experience there while doing work experience there doesn&#39;t preclude the place from being a good reseller for many, if not most, others. <_<

There are many resellers that offer poor service and a generally negative experience - Desktop Power is not one of them, by a mile.

And, not that you have already, but be careful not to get carried away with your criticism either - libelling them explicitly pretty much violates Appletalk&#39;s code of conduct (as stated on many occasions by Disko and decryption), namely not to target negative comments at specific stores. :)
not a personal crudsade. sorry if it comes across like that. there is a lot more to it than a bad experience when i was there. it has a lot more to do with my experiences when trying to get info out of them to spend money with them. i have tried to buy at least 4 computers from there. tried giving them a new chance every time and every time i got the same poor service, which is a pity cause i lived around the corner.

i do work for a reseller in Thornbury and we get most of our clients from word of mouth but if you were to hang around for a couple of weeks you would be horrified by the amount of customers we get walking through the door who have become fed up with either them or a huge store in the city which i won&#39;t name.

In my opinion Desktop Power has some great people but they are too busy looking after their best clients(and rightly so). I had thought that this thread was asking for an opinion, as you prefer Desktop over MyMac, i prefer MyMac over Desktop. I mean if h asked where i thought the best place was then i would have said someone else all together.

Anyways, without getting too specific, i prefer MyMac because of the fact that they have some great techies there that can answer most questions easily.

BTW point taken about Libel........ after re-reading my post it kinda came across a bit aggressive. rest assured that i was actually just in a hurry cause my beautiful fiance had just made me some bacon and eggs&#33;&#33;

peace out

dev_enter
5th December 2004, 12:25 PM
Streetwise will definitely install your RAM for you.

gelfie
5th December 2004, 12:42 PM
Streetwise are great. I bought my iBook from them, and later a couple of airport cards. The customer service was excellent (My iBook was DOA, and the guys at Streetwise were very helpful in getting a replacement for me double time)

I&#39;d buy from them again without any hesitation.