PDA

View Full Version : Apple Hardware Test errors

Granny Smith
6th November 2006, 10:07 AM
Speaking of Hardware Test, I recently ran v2.something on my 14" iBook G4 and it returned the followng error (on "Extended Test"):
2MEM/2/4:DIMM1/J31
I re-ran the test and it returned:
2MEM/101/4:DIMM1/J31
Now, I'm stuffed if I know how to interpret those findings, beyond an inkling that there's something not right with the 512Mb of RAM I installed not long ago.
But can anyone shed any light on exactly what these errors denote?
Many thanks.

hawker
6th November 2006, 10:09 AM
When you go to the Apple Menu, and go to about this mac and system profiler, under memory, do both ram sticks come up with 'ok' in the status?

And have you run another ram testing software like remeber etc?

Granny Smith
6th November 2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Hawker,
Yes, it seems both RAM sticks are recognised by System Profiler, and are reported to be OK. And if I run the "Quick Test" on Hardware Test (it's iBook version 2.0.2), the RAM passes with no trouble.
GS

It has failed the "Block Sequential" test in Rember, at 129 out of 256 (whatever that means):

126 of 256testing 126 of 256setting 127 of 256testing 127 of 256setting 128 of 256testing 128 of 256setting 129 of 256testing 129 of 256FAILURE: 0x80808090 != 0x80808080 at offset 0x018f2fbb.

Is this a big problem?

MacDave
6th November 2006, 12:10 PM
Failing RAM, at least at first, can result in some subtle, insideous errors which you may not even discover until later like corrupt files after a transfer. Also, bad RAM is the leading cause of kernel panics.

Try cleaning out your RAM slots and reseating the RAM. Personally, I wouldn't put much faith in the results of the Apple Hardware CD's reliablity and the status of RAM in System Profiler is even less meaningful.

I've been through this on one of my Xserves recently which has 8 GB of RAM (all 8 slots full.) I was getting some KP's during large i/o activity and parity errors in single user mode with the system booted which I'd NEVER have noticed if not in single user mode. I ran memtest several times and there were no errors and finally, I ran memtest while monitoring the Xserve with Server Admin and suddenly a red warning light lit up for the failing RAM chip.

Anyhow, my story is a lot different than yours, but yes, you should attend to it ASAP before something really does happen like KP's upon booting.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15837 <-Rember

http://www.memtestosx.org/ <-memtest

Rember is a GUI front-end for memtest.

Dave

Granny Smith
6th November 2006, 02:25 PM
Great - thank you. I'll get into it.