PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Purchase of MBP



Comet
6th November 2006, 07:09 AM
So here I am in this situation where my Macbook has gone into its 3rd repair within 2 months, so I'm thinking of switching over to the macbook pros, even if the macbook comes back fixed.:thumbdn:

Anyways, I'm currently in the US looking at the online prices and am really struggling to decide which model to go with. I'm currently looking at 3 models

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch Glossy Display, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo (US$1599)

15.4-inch glossy widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Refurbished MacBook Pro, 17-inch Glossy Display, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo (US$2199)

17-inch glossy widescreen display (1680x1050 resolution)
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1144/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/macbookpro/img/product-title-15in216ghz.gif(US$1999)


2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1440 x 900 pixels
1GB memory
120GB hard drive1
6x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

The best deal out of these 3 seems to be the refurbished 15", but I'm not sure how the heat issue is with that model. The other problem is that if I go with the new C2D model of the 15", another $200 will get me the 17" which I feel is a better deal. What's everyone's opinion on the Rev A 15" and the Rev A 17". I'm not too much of a heavy user, but I don't want to end up with a bad machine again. Has the heat issue been resolved with the Rev A 15"? Has there been issues with the Rev A 17"? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

iGOOSE
6th November 2006, 07:11 AM
If you can afford it get the Intel Core 2 Duo version and you won't regret it - I didn't!

Comet
6th November 2006, 07:34 AM
If you can afford it get the Intel Core 2 Duo version and you won't regret it - I didn't!

The problem is that US$900 off the C2D model seems such a great deal to pass...

iGOOSE
6th November 2006, 08:00 AM
64-bit is the way to go my friend...

Galumay
6th November 2006, 08:12 AM
64-bit is the way to go my friend...

for what, my friend?!

mechcon
6th November 2006, 08:41 AM
question is also, what sort of stuff you gonna do on the macbook pro? I ask because if you are planning to do serious audio work, and want to invest in (or already have) a firewire audio interface (i.e. presonus firebox or m-audio audiophile) you may come across issues with the firewire and voltages (as in not entirely powering up and what not) granted that there are solutions for it...

Just thought I'd throw it that way :)


also, it affects the current and first-revision 17" macbook pros... apparently doesn't affect the 15"

chocho
6th November 2006, 08:46 AM
go the core 2 duo, revision b!

don't get yesterday's problems........

Brentnal
6th November 2006, 08:55 AM
go the core 2 duo, revision b!

don't get yesterday's problems........

I agree...

gizo
6th November 2006, 09:17 AM
get tomorrow's problems instead.... ;)

Comet
6th November 2006, 09:56 AM
So you guys feel that its worth spending US$900 bucks to get a Rev B?
How about the Rev A 17"?

mechcon
6th November 2006, 09:56 AM
again, what sort of work will you be doing on the notebook???

Comet
6th November 2006, 12:32 PM
I'll be using this for development on WebSphere, Lotus Notes when using XP, and watching DVDs, occassional use of iMove and iDVD.

new2mac
6th November 2006, 12:36 PM
You can buy mine for $3200 (see sig)...

(but then i'll have to upgrade my wife will kill me!)

sfcoy
6th November 2006, 12:55 PM
I'll be using this for development on WebSphere, Lotus Notes when using XP, and watching DVDs, occassional use of iMove and iDVD.

WebSphere? You poor bastard...

Anyway, to your question: I've been specifically waiting for the new version of the MBP for three reasons:

1) The original 15" MBP gets very hot, so hot that I would be concerned about the longevity of some of the components;

2) The ability to have up to 3GB RAM - I want to be able to run Windows in Parallels. If you're using WebSphere 6.0 then you're going to WANT this much RAM pretty quickly.

3) Availability of larger hard disk capacity.

Cheers,

Steve C

Comet
6th November 2006, 01:07 PM
2) The ability to have up to 3GB RAM - I want to be able to run Windows in Parallels. If you're using WebSphere 6.0 then you're going to WANT this much RAM pretty quickly.


Seems like WebSphere has a bottomless stomach, cause regardless of how much RAM you give, it seems to want more :confused: Plus, company won't be buying me 2gb RAM modules :mad:

If its a heat issue, does anyone know if the Rev A 17" had heat issues?

sfcoy
6th November 2006, 01:16 PM
Seems like WebSphere has a bottomless stomach, cause regardless of how much RAM you give, it seems to want more :confused: Plus, company won't be buying me 2gb RAM modules :mad:

If its a heat issue, does anyone know if the Rev A 17" had heat issues?

I guess the point is that while not affordable now, in time those 2GB RAM modules will become affordable. I remember when a 1GB module was nearly $1k, which is where we are at with the 2GB modules today. 1GB is now around $170.

I understand that heat is much less of an issue with the Rev A 17". It is by far and away the number one issue with the Rev A 15".

Steve C

Comet
6th November 2006, 02:54 PM
I guess I've narrowed down to the Rev A 17" or the C2D low end 15". Hmmm.... decisions decisions

generik
7th November 2006, 03:18 PM
I'd recommend you get the newer ones as well, the huge heat vents on these things makes everything so much cooler :rolleyes: