PDA

View Full Version : I miss my MBP!

QueenOfSwords
2nd November 2006, 03:23 PM
I finally got around to dropping off my MBP for heat, whine and stability issues. (The techs were other women so maybe they'll even be able to hear the whine....)
Apparently I cold be waiting four days before a tech looks at it. Damn I wish I had a backup Mac. (What I have is a P2 running Linux).
All I want is a notebook Mac as comparably solid as my old iBook G4. *sigh*. Anyone else want to share MBP repair experiences?

gizo
2nd November 2006, 03:26 PM
I've not been brave enough to part with mine yet - fuzzy speaker, maybe a whine (not sure what i'm listening for)

QueenOfSwords
2nd November 2006, 03:29 PM
I've not been brave enough to part with mine yet - fuzzy speaker, maybe a whine (not sure what i'm listening for)

Hissy crackly noise around the top of the keyboard. Like white noise. If its the same as mine, it'll be worse when running on battery. Of course if *you* can't hear it in normal use, it doesn't need service :) the speaker is something else though.

gizo
2nd November 2006, 03:33 PM
oh. I can hear it like a little wind tunnel... fairly low-level though

QueenOfSwords
3rd November 2006, 12:00 AM
oh. I can hear it like a little wind tunnel... fairly low-level though

Hmm that could just be your fan. The CPU idle while is like this -

http://ned.ucam.org.nyud.net:8080/~fjb31/juzzin/MacBook_whine.mp3 (from http://ned.corpus.cam.ac.uk/~fjb31/) and is due to some harmonic resonance caused by caps on the MLB that aren't up to the job.

That's the best example I've found on the web :)

I'm really hoping the techs replace the MLB. It was impossible to hear the whine out in the main atrium area of the AppleCentre. AppleCentres != Apple Stores and while Apple USA has learned to swap out the MLBs, that might not be happening over here yet :confused:

gizo
3rd November 2006, 08:20 AM
Wow. Thanks for that. I'm lucky to not have that problem.
Good luck with it. (one day I'll get the courage to get someone to look at my dodgy speaker)

QueenOfSwords
8th November 2006, 09:35 AM
Ok after I got a chance to speak to the tech, I checked for an update and it looks as though there is a new MLB on order for me. Yay!

I hope they goof and order the wrong CPU.... but more likely the only goof I'm likely to see is a disconnected iSight or something.

Anyway a new MLB is hopefully a later rev with the right capacitors, de-whined and no thermal paste issues. Touch wood.....

samuelowens
10th November 2006, 07:57 PM
I too am going through the process of getting my MBP up to scratch.

I have just had the logic board replaced and it's now whine free and cool.

However, thanks to Apple's insane service policies, the service centre I took it to can't lodge a multi-part repair without losing some of their quality of service rating (or whatever it's called). I need to get a new top cover because the paint on the original is peeling at a rapid rate of knots. Hence I can't get a top cover for a month unless the service centre can successfully escalate the complaint...

I've also got a replacement battery, although I almost lost it thanks to the stupidity of Apple (who didn't put my name on the redirection label, just the company name) and the mail room at work (which I'd warned about the parcel two days ago), which didn't understand that my name under the 'Send to' box on the consignment note meant that I was the recipient ("I thought that was the packer", said the bloke in the mail room in all seriousness).

I'll probably need yet another Magsafe soon too. One of the pins on my replacement has already broken.

QueenOfSwords
14th November 2006, 08:06 AM
I too am going through the process of getting my MBP up to scratch.

I have just had the logic board replaced and it's now whine free and cool.

However, thanks to Apple's insane service policies, the service centre I took it to can't lodge a multi-part repair without losing some of their quality of service rating (or whatever it's called). I need to get a new top cover because the paint on the original is peeling at a rapid rate of knots. Hence I can't get a top cover for a month unless the service centre can successfully escalate the complaint...

I've also got a replacement battery, although I almost lost it thanks to the stupidity of Apple (who didn't put my name on the redirection label, just the company name) and the mail room at work (which I'd warned about the parcel two days ago), which didn't understand that my name under the 'Send to' box on the consignment note meant that I was the recipient ("I thought that was the packer", said the bloke in the mail room in all seriousness).

I'll probably need yet another Magsafe soon too. One of the pins on my replacement has already broken.

That sucks.... wow.

Hope they sort it out for you soon. What would it take for local Mac users to get similar service levels to USA residents? And I know those guys aren't perfect by a long shot.....

Concluding my story (hopefully) my MacBook Pro is back from South Melbourne, the heat seems greatly reduced (I don't know how reduced because Temperature Monitor is weirdly calibrated and is giving me a reading of 27 to 31 degrees for the CPU... huh?) and the whine is gone on battery and comes back faintly on DC, the opposite situation to last time. It's so quiet though I'm quite happy with it.

I'm going to try to boot this Mac with my current OSX DVD to see what happens. The MLBs sometimes require a new system disk (10.4.6 I think ?) and the girl on the counter had no idea about it. Would rather get the straightened out now if it's a problem.

samuelowens
14th November 2006, 11:19 AM
That sucks.... wow.

Hope they sort it out for you soon. What would it take for local Mac users to get similar service levels to USA residents? And I know those guys aren't perfect by a long shot.....

Concluding my story (hopefully) my MacBook Pro is back from South Melbourne, the heat seems greatly reduced (I don't know how reduced because Temperature Monitor is weirdly calibrated and is giving me a reading of 27 to 31 degrees for the CPU... huh?) and the whine is gone on battery and comes back faintly on DC, the opposite situation to last time. It's so quiet though I'm quite happy with it.

I'm going to try to boot this Mac with my current OSX DVD to see what happens. The MLBs sometimes require a new system disk (10.4.6 I think ?) and the girl on the counter had no idea about it. Would rather get the straightened out now if it's a problem.

I too have a weirdly calibrated temperature monitor (25 degrees my bottom) and new install media. I think there's something a bit different about the logic board that warranted it...

Still haven't heard about a new top cover. Will probably take it back in a month.

At least I can use my laptop computer as a laptop now...

adam89
14th November 2006, 12:33 PM
At least I can use my laptop computer as a laptop now...

You mean your Notebook computer as a Laptop now?

samuelowens
14th November 2006, 12:43 PM
You mean your Notebook computer as a Laptop now?

When I was a(n older) lad, they called portable computers laptops for a reason: you could use them on your lap without suffering third degree burns to your thighs.

(When I was a young lad, the Compaq Portable II (http://oldcomputers.net/compaqii.html) was where it was at, but using it on your lap was kinda difficult).

Hence, portable computers are, and will always be, laptops to me, and no about of lawyer-induced marketing from Apple will make me start calling them notebooks...

QueenOfSwords
14th November 2006, 12:44 PM
Ok, my new MLB is a week 46 (Yes, that's a 1.83 MLB produced after this model was killed). I can't push the CPU higher than 81 degrees.

I had to update Temperature Monitor, because the version I was running didn't grok the CPU thermal diode on the new board. I highly recommend this app, it gives you a LOT of readings, e.g. ambient temps as well.

gizo
28th November 2006, 11:58 AM
Well, I finally took the plunge and dropped my MBP off at the repairers.
The crapola sound from the right speaker started bugging me too much.

I have SpeedIt installed, and it reported the CPU was up at 34degrees Centigrade the other day, which scared me a bit, but the house was also around 30 degrees, so....

brentd
28th November 2006, 12:36 PM
woah - 34? is that a typo? Mine averages ~60oC (the fan kicks in after~70oC)
Thats after a logicboard replacement to remove the whine. It did run cooler for awhile after the replacement.

Now the Superdrive has to take two attempts before it will eject a CD... looks like another trip back to the service centre. :(

paulharrop
28th November 2006, 01:12 PM
I hate to read about all of these problems with MBP's as I am in the market for a 17 inch MBP C2D and it will cost heaps even at edu pricing. Hopefully many of these bugs have been sorted out on the new model.

Paul

gizo
28th November 2006, 01:15 PM
hmmm brentd.
iStat Nano did indicate that it was 34 (thirty four) degrees C.
Usually reports between 10-20....

what's the deal? don't ask me, i do not know, that's just what the widgets tell me...

tryandbyte
28th November 2006, 01:30 PM
My 15" Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo was returned today.

Once the temps hit 70 and an external display is plugged in the Macbook Pro display shows these horizontal lines.

So back to its creator it goes and now im ordering a new one and trying my luck again.

QueenOfSwords
28th November 2006, 10:06 PM
hmmm brentd.

what's the deal? don't ask me, i do not know, that's just what the widgets tell me...

If you're getting weird readings you might need to update your software. The heat diodes are not quite the same on the new MLBs ....

QueenOfSwords
28th November 2006, 10:07 PM
My 15" Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo was returned today.

Once the temps hit 70 and an external display is plugged in the Macbook Pro display shows these horizontal lines.

So back to its creator it goes and now im ordering a new one and trying my luck again.

Damn, Core2Duo even... that sucks.

stevekicks
28th November 2006, 10:27 PM
i've been without a working mac for over a month now. as soon as i recieve the replacement core2duo, it's going on ebay.

i've been to apple repair places over 15 times for this stupid thing

vanlan2010
28th November 2006, 10:34 PM
Well, apparently I see plenty of MBPs got heat issue. It just runs extremely hot. Replace a board will make the temp drop like 25-30 degree

bertofski
29th November 2006, 12:01 AM
yeah mine averages 60-70 degreesC but i have smc fan control installed and that drops the temp by up to 20 degrees C by running the fans at about 2000rpm

gizo
30th November 2006, 02:26 PM
Just got a call from the tech (not bad, today is day 2)
Apparently the speaker buzz (see decryption, I told you it was odd ;) ) is caused by static from the main board. (!?)
They have ordered a new main board, but it probably wont be there till Monday, so they asked if I wanted to pick it up now, and bring it back Monday to get it replaced.
No complaints from me about the service so far. Yay!

gizo
5th December 2006, 11:56 AM
que Family Fued noiseSet

ba-bow!
I just went and picked up my MBP from the repairer. There was this little voice in my head saying 'check it before you go, check it', but it was turned off, and I was late back to work, and there was another customer going a bit berko about her iPod, so I left.

Got back to work, fired it up, and whaddya know, there's a new Logic Board, and the same bloody speaker problem.

Now I am not so happy. I have to find more time to take the darn thing in to get looked at again. And if they are going to order another logic board, that's another x days of waiting.... grrrr

edit: yes, I am an idiot for not listening to the little voice in my head. But when the tech's say on the invoice that they've tested it, then I should be able to assume that it works...

edit2: jeez! I've just noticed that the screw on the right hand side, towards the front (round the corner from the dvd drive) hasn't been put back in properly. It sticks out by almost a milimetre. That's S H O D D Y, in my book.

iSlayer
5th December 2006, 12:00 PM
hmmm brentd.

im a bit late with the answer but i have it...
Some early model core duo cpus had a flaw in them that stopped them from reporting the correct temp.

gizo
5th December 2006, 12:02 PM
heh. Thanks iSlayer. Now that I have a new Logic Board, will that change?

gizo
5th December 2006, 07:23 PM
edit2: jeez! I've just noticed that the screw on the right hand side, towards the front (round the corner from the dvd drive) hasn't been put back in properly. It sticks out by almost a milimetre. That's S H O D D Y, in my book.

update: 2 screws not put back in properly....

and the fans are much much louder. more like a plane....

gizo
7th December 2006, 02:30 PM
So the MBP went back today, to see if they could actually FIX the speaker problem this time.

Just got a call to tell me that they've fixed it. They replaced the speakers, and that did the job (I'll test that tomorrow when I pick it up)

So my question: Why did they change the Logic Board first? If the speakers were the problem, then why did they not change them first? Then I wouldn't have an imposter Logic Board, the Jet-Like fans (which I have been assured will not be a problem anymore - they tightened a screw...), and I would still be able to check my serial Number from 'about this Mac' (which would make me feel more comfortable about the whole Warranty situation.

Are there any techs or clever types out there who can answer me that? Is there something I have missed (other than my MBP for the last week and a bit)

gizo
11th December 2006, 09:00 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg ggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Recapping:
MacBook Pro has a distorting Right Speaker, and NO OTHER PROBLEMS
--- Take it in for repair ---
Techs replace 2 logic boards
Right speaker still distorts
Screws not replaced properly (not flush with body)
Fans blow like jet turbines (louder than my Compaq)
--- Take it back in for repair ---
Techs replace speaker assembly
Right speaker still distorts

Techs tell me to call apple - they give the impression they have done all they can, so I should ask Apple to replace the MBP.
Over the weekend, I get some recurring issues with the display - it distorts, flickers and doubles the screen output. The fans are also quite loud, not as loud as after the first repair, but, originally the MBP was whisper-quiet.
Then I notice the built in iSight is no longer found by any apps.

Summary - after 2 trips to techs,
MBP has:
- Still got a Distorted Right Speaker
- iSight has gone away (cannot be found by Photo Booth, iMovie, or Skype)
- fans have gotten quite loud
- recurring display issues (link (http://www.users.on.net/~gizo/IMG_1365.jpg))

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is my first encounter with Apple repairs - is this how they all go? I find it incredibly frustrating....

pipsqeek
11th December 2006, 09:40 AM
If you ask most people, that's not how Apple repairs go.

If you ask me. If any Apple of mine fails and is still under warranty, I don't want a single person touching the innards.. I want a replacement machine.

That's talking from my experiences.

pipsqeek

gizo
11th December 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I thought I'd hear from you, Mr Squeek. I hope I don't get drawn into the same large turmoil that you did. Hopefully I'll get some decent resolution later today.

pipsqeek
11th December 2006, 10:07 AM
If you don't hear from them, hassle the crap out of them. Apple Australia are a bunch of slack arse gits that I'd rather see all unemployed.

And having been unemployed and just about homeless... I wouldn't wish unemployment on my worst enemy.... Just Apple Australia "Customer" "Relations" staff.

pipsqeek

gizo
11th December 2006, 10:25 AM
Contacted Apple.
"please take the machine to a service tech, get them to diagnose the issues and escalate to customer service..."

I like the way they make it seem like yr making progress.....

Currawong
11th December 2006, 10:53 AM
Take it to a different repairer. Mind you, I'd be threatening to take it to Consumer Affairs by this stage. Sounds like the techs are incompetent.

gizo
11th December 2006, 12:26 PM
You may be right, Curra. I have no idea how to tell if it's a bunch of faulty boards, or a technician at fault.
The problem is that I need the damn thing fixed, and I have to work, and they are the only techs I can get to in my lunch break.
Anywho, it is back in their hands, for them to diagnose and escalate to Apple Customer Service. I spoke with the Service Manager, and have bee assured it'll happen today.

.....We shall see what we shall see.....

Mctastic
11th December 2006, 01:05 PM
This is all unsatisfactory. Sounds like... with shoddy re-assembly, bad diagnosis etc.
Apple centres are representative of Apple & need to comply with Apple take apart procedures etc. I've personally repaired at least a dozen MB & MBP machines to date and they are pretty simple to get into & out. Make a report to Apple. This gives them(Apple) & their products a bad name.

to add. there are known issues with overheating etc. replacement of the logicboard & proper reseating of heatsink assembly is imperative as well as sunsequent reconnection(and propers seating) of all components.

gizo
11th December 2006, 01:13 PM
to add. there are known issues with overheating etc. replacement of the logicboard & proper reseating of heatsink assembly is imperative as well as sunsequent reconnection(and propers seating) of all components.

On topic: Thanks for the words, McTastic - I think I will follow up further with Apple tomorrow (the Apple Support man did say that he wanted to check to make sure the techs were doing the right things)

Off topic: 'Sunsequent' is a delightful word, truly. Thanks. ;)

Mctastic
11th December 2006, 08:10 PM
Off topic: 'Sunsequent' is a delightful word, truly. Thanks. http://forums.mactalk.com.au/images/smilies/wink.gif

yeah, true...

u know, ... and i know all to well, to put the time & care into repairs. After years of support my much loved mac user customer base, .. i 've no interest or inclination to add to the already long list of complaints resulting from bad tech support been provided out there.

i did a job about a week ago (no doubt to fix a previous bad repair), and was appalled at the state of the internals of the above said machine. By the way, .. the faulty was a result the said 'repair'. :eek:

gizo
12th December 2006, 10:35 AM
Just called Apple to check if the tech had indeed escalated the case as they were asked to do.
They had not (why am I not surprised?)
The Apple employee straight away offered to call the technician and find out what was going on, and promised to call me before the close of business today to let me know what was happening.
I don't think I could ask Apple for much more than that, could I?

Updated (see edit) Score so far- Apple: 3, Tech: -4, Me: grrrrrrrrr++

edit: Apple just called me back. The techs have not done the diagnosis yet, Apple rep has asked them to get it done. The Apple rep also gave me their direct phone number, in case I have further enquiries about this case.

Edit: Wednesday AM, the Apple rep called me to let me know that the technicians have started the diagnosis of my MBP. Apple will contact me this afternoon or early tomorrow.
This Apple rep really understands what Servicing the Customer is all about, yay!

gizo
14th December 2006, 10:06 AM
So, Apple called back.
The diagnosis has been performed (by the technicians, not by Apple), and Apple technical Support acknowledge that the faults were all caused by the technicians.
It appears that they didn't bother to mention the continuing inability to fix the distorted right speaker (the original problem).
So the Apple rep is resubmitting my claim to Engineering, based on the speaker problems.
In the meantime, I am still waiting.

In short, the technicians have been unable to fix the problem on two occasions, and each time they have caused more problems of a more significant nature. I have been without my MBP for over two weeks now (with the exception of one weekend, where the display kept screwing up and there was no iSight). Apple state that all the problems (other than the right speaker) are a direct result of the 'repairs' done by the technicians.
So, does anyone think that I am entitled to get a replacement machine from the technicians?

decryption
14th December 2006, 11:00 AM
I think it's very fair that you be compensated for the lax work done by the techs. Get Apple to apply pressure to the techs that did it so they can give you a brand new latest model MacBook Pro with all the trimmings.

Currawong
14th December 2006, 12:23 PM
So, Apple called back.
The diagnosis has been performed (by the technicians, not by Apple), and Apple technical Support acknowledge that the faults were all caused by the technicians.
It appears that they didn't bother to mention the continuing inability to fix the distorted right speaker (the original problem).
So the Apple rep is resubmitting my claim to Engineering, based on the speaker problems.
In the meantime, I am still waiting.

In short, the technicians have been unable to fix the problem on two occasions, and each time they have caused more problems of a more significant nature. I have been without my MBP for over two weeks now (with the exception of one weekend, where the display kept screwing up and there was no iSight). Apple state that all the problems (other than the right speaker) are a direct result of the 'repairs' done by the technicians.
So, does anyone think that I am entitled to get a replacement machine from the technicians?

This is a problem I've been (unofficially) told Apple Oz has with repairs - too often the authorised techs are lazy, dodgy or incompetent. Apple ends up copping the blame for what was the responsibility of others to do right the first time.

forgie
14th December 2006, 12:29 PM
That's true, but a corporation is responsible for it's employees. If they employ hacks to do repair work, they have to bear the brunt of that. And it certainly looks like there are a few hacks in there.

gizo
14th December 2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah, Curra. I get what you mean. Apple so far have been great to me. Pro-active and informative. I have no issue with them.

But, these techs are Apple Certified, so in some ways the responsibility is Apple's. It's up to Apple to do something about dodgy techs. Either remove certification, or charge them for bad work, or something. No?

forgie
14th December 2006, 12:33 PM
Where have you been taking the MBP in to get it repaired? I would like to know where I should avoid taking my macs in the future.

gizo
14th December 2006, 12:37 PM
Ah forgie, you know I'm not going to name them. That wouldn't be nice.
I am venting my frustration and seeknig advice here.
If you're ever unfortunate enough to have to get yr Mac serviced, feel free to PM me with your preferred Technician, and I can tell you if that's who I have had troubles with...

forgie
14th December 2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah, on second thought there could be legal issues or something like that. It's just shit that crappy techs can hide behind the anonymity of a corporation and not be identified for doing shoddy work and messing around their customers.

speedway boy
14th December 2006, 03:16 PM
well, it seems I have now too been introduced to the world of Apple repairers.

We have a rev a MBP and in the last month the computer has been powering down unexpectedly. It finally came to a point that it would turn on unless it was plugged in.

Take it to mac shop where I bought it.
They replaced the logic board and a new battery.

got it back today. Now its crashing like a bastard.
Freezes up in sleep or when the screen saver is on. Or just freezes altogether. (Mouse don't move)

So onto the merry go round I go...we take it back tomorrow.

I have been (and still am I think) happy with this mac shop. But from now on I'll reserve judgement until I get a good working machine.

3 macs in the last 2 years. 2 have had major issues within the first year (hard drive failure and now MBP issues). My third mac is only 2months old. Lets see how that goes!

:rolleyes:

gizo
14th December 2006, 03:19 PM
Oh dear...
Good luck, SpeedWayBoy, may your journey be simpler and quicker than mine.
Just in case, though - be sure to record everything that happens, makes it easier to tell Apple if you've been writing it down as you go along.

pipsqeek
14th December 2006, 05:03 PM
Record everything indeed. You'll need as much evidence as you can produce legally in order to prove yourself.

Guilty until proven otherwise.

N i C O?
14th December 2006, 06:23 PM
i guess im lucky that i know the people at the next byte in Hobart.

I soon have to take my macbook in for RSS(random shutdown problems) and i said to them that i will only bring it in when you are ready to replace the part so that i can still use it in 1GHz mode.

I think that its 1Ghz mode anyway......It works

pipsqeek
14th December 2006, 06:58 PM
In my case, it wouldn't have mattered where I took it. Apple Australia were the arses. Then the shop turned nasty towards the end of the saga.

A bizarre twist to the story, me thinks

speedway boy
14th December 2006, 09:47 PM
In my case, it wouldn't have mattered where I took it. Apple Australia were the arses. Then the shop turned nasty towards the end of the saga.

A bizarre twist to the story, me thinks

Pipsqeek is there a thread of your story I can read? I have a feeling I need to be up to speed on the antics of Apple and resellers when machines go bad.

areal
14th December 2006, 09:55 PM
the iBook saga (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=1479&page=1)

gizo
18th December 2006, 11:21 AM

Apparently so.
I sent a message to the manager of the technicians last week, explaining my situation and asking for a quick and suitable response. I got a phone call from the manager today, stating that 'we think you should be entitled to a new machine, and we will try to get you one from our stock'. So that seems to bode well.
We shall see what happens tomorrow, when I get my return call.....

gizo
19th December 2006, 08:52 AM
Boo + Ya = BooYA!!

Just got a call to let me know that they are currently transferring data to my brand spanking new MBP, and I can pick it up probably later today, or tomorrow.

Thanks y'all for the support + advice. Especially you, Decryption.

pipsqeek
19th December 2006, 10:17 AM
Congrats. Though I'll congratulate you properly when you have the machine sitting on your lap.

Apple said the same thing to me about the iBook. I got it a long while after they finally agreed to give me a new one.

From my experience. I'd be asking Apple Australia for a written letter stating they are going to replace it. Because that's how much I trust them....

pipsqeek

gizo
19th December 2006, 10:22 AM
yeah Pip.. I am carrying that little doubt. I just got a call to say it's ready, but even still.... I am slightly worried.. More later today...

gizo
19th December 2006, 12:38 PM
I have it, and a bit more.
I originally had a base model MBP (2.0ghz Core Duo 1.5RAM 80 HD 128Video)
It has been replaced with a 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo 2.0RAM 120HD 256Video...

and guess what? The right speaker isn't distorted. iCheer.

pipsqeek
19th December 2006, 12:43 PM
I have it, and a bit more.
I originally had a base model MBP (2.0ghz Core Duo 1.5RAM 80 HD 128Video)
It has been replaced with a 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo 2.0RAM 120HD 256Video...

and guess what? The right speaker isn't distorted. iCheer.

You have it already? OMG, awesome.

And congrats (for real this time) on the new machine, with improvements. And it all works!

Hope you never have to send it back to them again for anything, and it's one of those mac's that use to plod along for years and years and years, until it just dies of old age and overuse because that's what things do.

pipsqeek

gizo
19th December 2006, 12:49 PM
You have it already? OMG, awesome.
Yeah.
I believe that it ended up being replaced by the technicians, not Apple.
Apple wanted to repair it again, which I suppose is fair enough, considering that the problems were pretty much all the fault of the technicians. But I sent a letter to the technicians' manager, who approved an immediate replacement from their stock.

And again, the people that I dealt with at Apple were as helpful and friendly and pro-active as I could have wanted. (Maybe they learned from your experience Pip, and have improved their game, we can only hope, eh?)

pipsqeek
19th December 2006, 02:15 PM
Well, I know there are a few new staff members. The old ones had gone by the time my saga came to it's end ;)

sunrisesister
19th December 2006, 02:19 PM
yay gringo! :D

samuelowens
19th December 2006, 08:05 PM
At long last, after a logic board, a new top cover, a new battery and three power bricks, my MacBook Pro is now working the way it should.

The tech at Connecting Point has put everything back the way it should be too, so I'm a happy camper.

I just hope the pins on power brick #3 hold out longer than the other two (6 weeks and 6 months).

gizo
19th December 2006, 08:58 PM
samuel - yoikes! that's a terrible journey...