PDA

View Full Version : Uni and Macbooks

macgrrl
2nd November 2006, 01:01 PM
Not sure if here is the right place to put it, there used to be a link in a pinned thread but its disappeared so please feel free to direct me to the right spot.
I am going back to uni next year to do a BSc and i would really like to get a macbook, ibook or a powerbook. But i have questions.
*I've been told most of the software is for PC. But also been told that that is what bootcamp is for. Could somebody explain to me if this is true?
*And if it is which apple would i be better getting? I would only want a smaller screen, say a 12/13inch, nothing too big to carry around.
*The software i will be needing will be quite hungry RAM and space wise i presume. Or would i just be better biting the bullet and getting a PC notebook? (*cries*)

Any help would be appreciated, i need to start saving now, hopefully Santa will bring me the correct one... You hear that santa??!!
Macgrrl x

Jimbo
2nd November 2006, 01:05 PM
go with the macbook, i know i will be, you can use parallels to run pc crap on yer intel mac. the ibook, powerbook, or any of the older ppc macs, can't run pc software easily, it can be done, but it isn't worth your while, just get a macbook or mac book pro (if you need heavy graphics use ie gaming) and max out the ram.

Jimi.

Johnny Appleseed
2nd November 2006, 01:07 PM
If you want a small screen, go the MacBook. With Boot Camp it will run Windows just as well (if not better) than a similarly specced PC notebook. Max out the RAM to 2GB if you can afford it, if not get 1GB minimum.

macgrrl
2nd November 2006, 01:07 PM
well i dont think i'll be doing much gaming but who knows what kind of nerd i will turn into! I thought the older ones would have trouble with that kind of software.
thanks jimbo!

forgie
2nd November 2006, 01:11 PM
What software exactly? I am studying Engineering/Computer Science, and every program we have used has a mac version (albeit sometimes a crumby mac version).

As has been said, windows software on a Macbook is pretty easy - either bootcamp or parallels will let you run ANYTHING.

macgrrl
2nd November 2006, 01:14 PM
What software exactly? I am studying Engineering/Computer Science, and every program we have used has a mac version (albeit sometimes a crumby mac version).

As has been said, windows software on a Macbook is pretty easy - either bootcamp or parallels will let you run ANYTHING.

Not sure exactly what software as yet, mapping and geological is what it will be used for. Its good to know i can run stuff on a mac, i really didnt want to go back to a PC.

Exocet
2nd November 2006, 01:25 PM
Macgrrl, any Windows software will work with Bootcamp. When you load your Macbook into Windows, it is just the same as any other PC laptop - except its in a better case ;)

macgrrl
2nd November 2006, 04:00 PM
Macgrrl, any Windows software will work with Bootcamp. When you load your Macbook into Windows, it is just the same as any other PC laptop - except its in a better case ;)

mmm sexy ;)

Quamen
2nd November 2006, 06:43 PM
I am going back to uni next year to do a BSc and i would really like to get a macbook, ibook or a powerbook.

Bsc? Bull Shit Course?

haha. I have no idea wha that is? Maybe you should elaborate more. Also which uni are you planning to go to? Perhaps there is someone here who is doing or has done the same course?

I'm doing Software Engineering at RMIT and slowly bu surely everyone is getting a mac. Since everything in the Computer Science department is UNIX based.

Exocet
2nd November 2006, 06:52 PM
B. Science I'm guessing?

iDaife
2nd November 2006, 07:05 PM
I got a MacBook at the start of this year for uni. Put the ram up to 1GB and it has been fine. It's small enough for it to be like another book, and the battery lasts really well. It is a little heavy though, and there are some pretty small Asus laptops if weight is an issue (but not looks lol). Anyway, with the 1GB ram Word works with 100+ page documents reasonably well. I would hit the MacBook- its a great price point.

Good luck, Dave;)

macgrrl
2nd November 2006, 11:03 PM
Bsc? Bull Shit Course?

haha. I have no idea wha that is? Maybe you should elaborate more. Also which uni are you planning to go to? Perhaps there is someone here who is doing or has done the same course?

I'm doing Software Engineering at RMIT and slowly bu surely everyone is getting a mac. Since everything in the Computer Science department is UNIX based.

yahahaa! It better not be for the money i'm paying! No its a Bachelor of Science, I dont know how up to date the science depts are with macs, a freind in the field was the one that told me most of the programs are pc based.
You know i would expect computer science to be mac friendly considering almost every nerd i know considers them the way of the future.

Thanks to all that have given me advice, once again you are livesavers!
M x

QueenOfSwords
2nd November 2006, 11:40 PM
yahahaa! It better not be for the money i'm paying! No its a Bachelor of Science, I dont know how up to date the science depts are with macs, a freind in the field was the one that told me most of the programs are pc based.
You know i would expect computer science to be mac friendly considering almost every nerd i know considers them the way of the future.

Thanks to all that have given me advice, once again you are livesavers!
M x

What you have there is a cute, portable Unix workstation that runs Office. You're good for a Science degree :)

macgrrl
2nd November 2006, 11:44 PM
What you have there is a cute, portable Unix workstation that runs Office. You're good for a Science degree :)

I'm going to be the hottest goth science geek around! I want to get a T-shirt made up for my BF that says " I HEART MY MAC GEEK"