PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Hard-disk upgrade

ricochet
1st November 2006, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone, I'm a new member as of today (but a long time reader, so thanks for all the nice info up to now!)

Just though I'd share with you all that I recently bought and installed a new 160GB SATA 2.5" drive in my Macbook Pro. It was a bit fiddly but the video d/loaded from the bottom of this page really helped show the steps required:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/DDR2/

I see the new core2 macbook pros ship with up to 200GB drives, very nice... However at the time I couldn't find any retailers selling these drives stand-alone.

Interestingly, I dual boot the laptop with Vista RC2 and this new perpendicular 160gb drive has dramatically increased the score given to hard-drive from about 4.1 to 4.9 for reading speed, even though they are both 5400rpm. So I guess there's some truth to the new drives being faster after all :)

That's all, hopefully some of you others with macbook pros with 80gb like I had might be tempted to try it sometime soon, I recommend it if youre squeezed for space!

gizo
1st November 2006, 01:29 PM
Very cool. Does that have any effect on your warranty?

edit: oh, and welcome aboard! :)

ricochet
1st November 2006, 01:41 PM
Does that have any effect on your warranty?
You know, I'm really not sure about that to be honest - I would have thought that the hard-disk would be classified as a replaceable part, especially since you can choose different configurations for it when you purchase the machine. It probably just means if the drive is the point-of-failure then I'll have to go back to Western Digital instead of Apple.

You don't have to break any seals etc to put it in, so it is possible to just put back in the old 80GB one and then take it in for servicing if the other drive were likely to cause problems with Apple. I don't think it would though, and so far it's worked nicely.

If someone who knows the detailed ins-and-outs of the warranty though, I'd be interested to hear since I did shell out for the 3 yr applecare and wouldn't like to think that was all for nothing ;)