PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo just arrived!!!!

raj
1st November 2006, 09:24 AM
This thing is absolutely HOT!! So quick! I'm taking a half day off work and going home to put her through her paces!!! Damn sexy ;)

decryption
1st November 2006, 09:27 AM
Ooh, you lucky bastard. Which model did ya get?

raj
1st November 2006, 09:28 AM
Pimped out 15" 2.33 Ghz model. Considering I ordered it 5 minutes after the online store got updated (1am) I think I deserve it ;)

Disko
1st November 2006, 09:30 AM
pics!

paulharrop
1st November 2006, 09:43 AM
Drool !! :rolleyes:

I'm still using an eMac. (Sorry eMac - you do work well !!)

Pics please !!

God kids keep you broke !! :mad:

$4000 at the orthodonist for one son (a new Macbook Pro for the same amount !!!!) :eek:

Maybe when I retire I can afford one !!

Paul

raj
1st November 2006, 09:46 AM
Excuse the crappy pics, had to take them with my phone... (which sucks)

The Box (http://www.webstar.net.au/macbookpro/01112006061.jpg)
Open on Desk (http://www.webstar.net.au/macbookpro/01112006063.jpg)
FW 800 is back (http://www.webstar.net.au/macbookpro/01112006064.jpg)
About this Mac (http://www.webstar.net.au/macbookpro/01112006065.jpg)

uncyherb
1st November 2006, 09:49 AM
Ohh.... super jealous now!

I'm set to order mine either this arvo or tomorrow morning... once I work out where I can get the best price and glossy/matte.

generik
1st November 2006, 10:37 AM
This thing is absolutely HOT!! So quick! I'm taking a half day off work and going home to put her through her paces!!! Damn sexy ;)

Does it run hot as well? Heard this new revision got spruced up ventilation holes but have not heard anything about how this translates into improved cooling.

mechcon
1st November 2006, 10:57 AM
quite a daunting issue with the mac book pro's and the presonus firebox (which is audio interface box I have) which would only affect me on this entire forum (thus far) but would affect musicians that want to get a macbook pro, and owning a presonus firebox too..

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=488869&tstart=75

Might wait for Rev C if it'll be fixed then :\

actually, hows the strength of the aiport going?

ricochet
1st November 2006, 11:04 AM
mechcon - that is a very bizarre problem, quite an extensive thread going there! I use the m-audio firewire 410 with 15" macbook pro no problems, but i only have the gen 1 FW400 model... hope you get a solution for that one soon because it's a great system for music production!

Kirium
1st November 2006, 11:04 AM
No dodgy pixels at all??

mechcon
1st November 2006, 11:45 AM
yeah i got a powerbook g4 (see signature) at the moment, and that too is still fine for audio production.. I'd ultimately love to get a macbook pro now because all the apps I use ARE now in universal (except for DSP Quattro which is a shame)

Im just shocked at the price of the current 17" macbook pro!!!

raj
1st November 2006, 11:50 AM
no dodgy pixels, been running installing apps last 2 hours and it's warm but better than I expected. Have ripped a dvd too and it's QUICK!!!!!

Currawong
1st November 2006, 08:05 PM
I just dropped into the Fukuoka Apple Store to ask if they had US-keyboard machines yet, which they don't. The manager is going to call me when I arrive. Until then, I've already gone out and bought an eSATA card and am hunting for multi-interface external drive boxes.

STK
1st November 2006, 08:51 PM
Maybe Ill get one for my Birthday Tommorow :D Did you get glossy or Matte?

EDIT: site for pics seems to be down?

lucid.motion
1st November 2006, 08:54 PM
epowermac.com.au has a decent selection of enclosures, I'm sure theres other places, for me it's the convenience of them being close to brisbane, so it's fast/cheap delivery , but yeah, not a bad place to take a look

Kirium
1st November 2006, 11:24 PM
no dodgy pixels

Nice... That's the only thing that worries me about buying from the online store. I think I used up all my initial good Mac-karma when I managed to get my iMac replaced no questions asked for having a dead pixel straight out of the box..

uncyherb
2nd November 2006, 01:47 PM
I've ordered my 17" today... DJ's tell me I might have one as early as the start of next week as they have a standing order and not all are spoken for.

Can't wait... I hope it turns up on Monday, otherwise the Cup Day holiday will hold it up!

Thom
3rd November 2006, 08:16 AM
My 15" 2.16Ghz arrived yesterday... Man that's quick (and I'm coming from the 1.83 MBP Core Duo)!

True to Apple form the package wasn't 100%, however, this time it's the OSX install discs- I couldn't reinstall OSX because disc 2 just wouldn't read.

It's going to be hard to get those discs replaced...!

lucious
3rd November 2006, 08:22 AM
My work has just ordered 2 last week, one for me hopefully, so it's good that you already got yours. There is hope.

mechcon
3rd November 2006, 08:32 AM
My 15" 2.16Ghz arrived yesterday... Man that's quick (and I'm coming from the 1.83 MBP Core Duo)!

True to Apple form the package wasn't 100%, however, this time it's the OSX install discs- I couldn't reinstall OSX because disc 2 just wouldn't read.

It's going to be hard to get those discs replaced...!

wait... you upgraded your current speedy mbp to a slightly speedier mbp? *shakes head in confusion*

anyways, a positive note on the macbook pro's (even though their firewire is a bit sketchy) is this article

http://apple.qj.net/2-33GHz-Core-2-Duo-MacBook-Pro-runs-cooler/pg/49/aid/71448

Daltasaur
3rd November 2006, 09:08 AM
:banghead: waiting for mine to arrive, most likely Tuesday :), the wait is killifiying me!

Thom
3rd November 2006, 11:13 AM
...Yep, I'm a chronic updater!

I also wanted a glossy screen (which is brilliant by the way), 802.11n functionality, a dual layer burner and a bigger HDD. It's crazy but I have no regrets; the Core 2 Duo is a major speed boost.

For people's reference I ordered the base machine the day after they were announced and had a 160g HDD and glossy screen as BTO options. Original delivery date was quoted as 3/11 but it arrived 2/11.

Also, it's really quiet. When copying my files and preferences across via an extremely short firewire cable in a quiet room I could only hear the Rev A machine.

I've never directly copied my files like this but it took AGES! ~2.25 hours to copy 60gig!!

lenojd
4th November 2006, 12:12 PM
...Yep, I'm a chronic updater!

I also wanted a glossy screen (which is brilliant by the way), 802.11n functionality, a dual layer burner and a bigger HDD. It's crazy but I have no regrets; the Core 2 Duo is a major speed boost.

For people's reference I ordered the base machine the day after they were announced and had a 160g HDD and glossy screen as BTO options. Original delivery date was quoted as 3/11 but it arrived 2/11.

Also, it's really quiet. When copying my files and preferences across via an extremely short firewire cable in a quiet room I could only hear the Rev A machine.

I've never directly copied my files like this but it took AGES! ~2.25 hours to copy 60gig!!

I order the same day and I am still waiting for mine to be shipped (according to the site)!!

The stimated ship date is for 3/11 (yesterday) and the status still says "not shipped". The apple site says if the estimate ship date is pushed back, they will send an email advising of this.

I got a 15" 2.16 an extra 2GB if ram, 160 GB HDD and Matte screen.

Where the hell is mine? I am getting jealous of you guys! :p

Thom
5th November 2006, 09:26 AM
I think gloss screens were generally quicker... I know when I was playing with the config options having gloss selected cut the delivery time by a day or two.

mikinoz
5th November 2006, 10:08 AM
:banghead: waiting for mine to arrive, most likely Tuesday :), the wait is killifiying me!

Come on, your spending the weekend chasing skirts, so the nerd toys can wait! :rolleyes:

markkemperman
6th November 2006, 03:50 PM
the Core 2 Duo is a major speed boost.

Macworld ran some benchmarks (MBP C2D v MBP CD) and it's around a 10% improvement.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firstlooks/mbpbench/index.php

Will be interesting to see other benchmarks as they emerge.

supa007
6th November 2006, 11:21 PM
Got my stock standard base 15" over the weekend. No pre-ordering, no waiting, just rocked up to Apple Ivanhoe and handed over the good old CC for 1 of 2 they had. Very impressed with the speed, definitely noticeable compared with my 2Ghz iMac Core Duo. With normal usage (browsing, music, installing software, watching EyeTV) it makes almost no noise and runs pretty cool, definitely no problems on the lap, but with HDV importing, editing, it does get noisy and hot!

Whilst I'm at it, wondering if someone here can help me with my new found networking problem. I have my iMac connected wirelessly to a Netgear 834g wireless adsl modem/router for internet. As I'll be using the MBP predominently at home, I really don't want to waste my HD space on duplicating media files on the MBP. I have spent the entire weekend trying to figure out how to wirelessly share all the files on the iMac with the MBP which is connected to the same wireless network. I thought Bonjour is suppose to make it easier... I've enabled share library and look for shared files in all the applications, but still nothing...

Any help much appreciated.

Thom
6th November 2006, 11:28 PM

Scrap that, the optical drive's just screwed in general. It fails to play 1 in 3 brand new DVD's.

It's official, I'm no longer recommending people buy Apple. The quality just isn't there. I've never had a 100% perfect Apple product through 4 laptops and 5 iPods.

adam89
7th November 2006, 02:43 AM
I have spent the entire weekend trying to figure out how to wirelessly share all the files on the iMac with the MBP which is connected to the same wireless network. I thought Bonjour is suppose to make it easier... I've enabled share library and look for shared files in all the applications, but still nothing...

Tried this?

System Preferences > Internet & Network > Sharing > Enable 'Personal File Sharing'

generik
7th November 2006, 03:15 PM
no dodgy pixels, been running installing apps last 2 hours and it's warm but better than I expected. Have ripped a dvd too and it's QUICK!!!!!

How did you rip a DVD? Did you have to waste one of your region changes before you can do that?

Mac The Ripper doesn't seem to work out too well for me :(

Currawong
11th November 2006, 11:37 PM
I picked up my MBP on Thursday on the way to work. I was so eager to get it running that I stopped by a second-hand computer store to pick up a notebook HD to put in my clearlight case so I could copy across my user folder to that first.

When I got to work, I set it all up, much to the envy of the staff ;)

What I've noticed about the machine is that the intel machines feel a lot more responsive than the G4/G5 ones. Simple things like web browsing are just faster. Also, there's none of that "We're now beginning out take-off" sound like my G5's fans whenever I do anything mildly CPU intensive.