PDA

View Full Version : Help me crosss over

forno
1st December 2004, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

I am planning "THE CHANGE", I will be in KL, France & Ialy next year and was wondering if anyone knows where to get a tax free iBook while I am over there.

:P

the_OM
1st December 2004, 04:15 PM
Sorry for my ignorance... but what is KL? (Kuala Lumpur?)

Anyways, between france and italy, the lower tax rate from memory is in italy..... both use the euro, so you won't have to worry about exchange rate differences or anything.
Can't think of any places where you could get it tax free....... although, what you can do is buy it from either place, pay the v.a.t. or g.s.t. on the ibook, then claim it back at the airport when your leaving........ and don't declare it when you enter into australia.....voila! Tax Free.

Rayd
1st December 2004, 05:28 PM
since were on the topic of tax... i was wondering if i was to order somthing off ebay from america... from a "power seller" and paid 26 dollars for postage... would i have to pay tax?

Gothikon
1st December 2004, 08:43 PM
It depends on the calue of the item and whether it is treated as a gift/secondhand/new etc.. Unless you are considering second hand deals here I wouldn't buy something like that off eBay, if you'd be happy with a second had laptop bought in Aus then eBay isn't that different.

spargo
1st December 2004, 09:22 PM
Hi grippon,

Please check your prices and exchange rates first! - you may be better off buying your gear in Australia from a store/dealer that you know, within 30 days of when you depart, then get back the GST at the airport on your way out (it gets credited to your credit card).. It's all done under the TRS - see the Australian Customs website here. (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4366)

I did this when I brought a Powerbook, 40Gb iPod, Airport Express and MS Office:Mac software in Brisbane on our way over here. In all it was nearly AU$5K worth, but as long as you are taking it out of the country you are entitled to the refund regardless of value. This way it was cheaper than buying it in when we got here..

There's nothing like having one when your travelling for your music, photo storage, and for access wireless hotspots on the fly - my only comment is that a 15" is a little large for when you're completely mobile with only backpacks etc, but I am glad I didn't comprimise, as the backlit k'board is a treat on planes etc, and widescreen DVD is excellent on the 15"'er..

An iBook would be great too - scratches etc less likely to show up on the white plastic when getting around..

Need any other info on buying in Europe/UK, send me a PM or e-mail/MSN Messenger..

forno
2nd December 2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, cant wait to get my mits on the gadget :drool:

Just need to work out the most cost effective way