PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Mac Lover First Time Mac Owner

Craker
8th October 2006, 11:10 AM
Hi all I am a long time Mac lover first time Mac owner.

I just picked up my first Mac a G4 733MHz Quicksilver a few weeks ago and I must say I am enjoying it very much. Everything just makes more sense on a Mac.

Now coming from using a Windows PC 90% of the time I just got a couple of questions.

On my Windows PC I used to partition my HDD in to different categories eg: Music, Photos, and Downloads etc, just to keep it all safe and separate. Is it necessary to do this on a Mac?

I have read I do not need any anti virus at all on my Mac how true is this? What about a firewall?

I am sure I may have some more questions as I dive in deeper, but as I have found out already fellow Mac users are very nice people and very happy to help out. Do you have any other advice, tips, hints or tricks for a new Mac user?

purana
8th October 2006, 11:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Craker &#064; Oct 8 2006, 11&#58;10 AM) 222199</div>

What about a firewall?
[/b]

OSX contains one, if you load system preferences, and then click sharing. You will see a firewall tab. Although some people also install little snitch to help control what applications attempt to talk external to which you might not expect them to do so. ie. phone home time applications.

timwallG5
8th October 2006, 11:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Craker &#064; Oct 8 2006, 11&#58;10 AM) 222199</div>

On my Windows PC I used to partition my HDD in to different categories eg: Music, Photos, and Downloads etc, just to keep it all safe and separate. Is it necessary to do this on a Mac?
[/b]

It&#39;s not necessary, but you can still do it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa...en/duh1959.html (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1959.html)

You have to boot your Mac from the OS X Installer disc to partition your startup disc, and it, as in Windows, will destroy all the data that&#39;s on there, and you&#39;ll have to reinstall OS X all over again. The above URL will tell you everything.

OS X is very safe, and provides you with a user account with it&#39;s own folders for Music, Movies, Pictures etc. There are no viruses worth noting - the loinshare is for Windows; the small amount you might hear mentioned are for the older Mac OS 9 operating system and don&#39;t affect OS X; the remaining TWO have been patched by Apple in 10.4.8.

hawker
8th October 2006, 01:13 PM
You don&#39;t really need anti-virus, unless you plan to buy an intel mac and install windows :P

The only real reason you might want an anti - virus is if you associate with a lot of Windows based machines, and you don&#39;t want to harbour and pass any viruses on.

if this is you, I recommend running: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ClamXav.shtml

I do not recommend buying Nortan Anti Virus for mac, it does nothing but slow your system down and drive you mad (sort of like on Windows).

tintinaujapon
8th October 2006, 03:08 PM
Norton in general is pretty much getting slammed by everyone these days.

Heard a &#39;pro&#39; on ABC radio the other day telling people to get it off their systems ASAP.

On the other hand, he also said that ZoneAlarm just &#39;doesn&#39;t work&#39; with Firefox and that you should switch between sometimes using Windows firewall, and sometimes using ZoneAlarm.

Guess anyone can be a PC expert.

suryo
9th October 2006, 01:22 AM
My take on these questions:
[/b]There is absolutely no need to do this at all and it won&#39;t make your data safer. If the HD is going to fail it will almost inevitably take every partition with it. My advice is to just use folders to keep your stuff organised and regularly back up everything onto an external drive using something like SuperDuper&#33; (http://www.shirtpocket.com/).
I have read I do not need any anti virus at all on my Mac how true is this?[/b]There are currently no viruses that affect computers running OS X. There is no spyware, trojans nor worms. This does not mean there will never be a virus for Mac in the future - there probably will be. However, the likelihood of being infected with a virus on OS X is so remote, you would be far more likely to suffer problems that are caused by an antivirus. Just be careful not to forward any sus-looking emails to your Windows buddies.
What about a firewall?[/b]Use the built-in firewall. It is definitely good enough. It is switched on by default unlike on a Windows system and you can change its settings in System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall. Keep in mind that turning on Windows Sharing will cause your passwords to be stored in a less secure way - so avoid using it if you can, or turn it off whenever you don&#39;t need it.

Also keep in mind that OS X doesn&#39;t really benefit from a restart, so you can generally just leave it on or asleep for weeks or months at a time - until the next software update that requires restart. You also never need to defragment your hard drive under OS X unless you are doing serious video editing, since files smaller than 20MB are defragmented automatically on the fly.

So what do you need to do to protect and maintain your Mac? Nothing. As with any computer you should backup regularly and keep your software up to date but that&#39;s about it. Enjoy your Mac&#33;