PDA

View Full Version : cheapest GarageBand setup

sdien
1st December 2004, 10:45 AM
hi all...

i have a friend who is very much into audio recording
and was somehow persuaded by someone to use garageband for all his work...

now, the question is,
do you actually need a powermac, or you can actually get away with emac to work on garageband?

what's the advantage and disadvantage?

thanks!

decryption
1st December 2004, 10:47 AM
You don't need a PowerMac, an iMac would do just fine.
However, if you can afford a PowerMac, get it! :P

Ozi
1st December 2004, 10:48 AM
you can get away with just an emac. However, you would want that emac to be loaded with RAM, and have a nice big HD to fit all the recorded audio into! Garageband is quite a greedy program, so a lot of RAM is a must, and you would need a bit of patients to wait for it to start up. i would say 512 RAM minimum, hopefully 768 or 1GB.

sdien
1st December 2004, 10:57 AM
what is the advantage of having a powermac rather than emac?
for garageband that is....

i have sawtooth/600/886MB and sometimes i wish i have bought an emac for the amount of money i've spent to upgrade it...

estoyloco
1st December 2004, 11:11 AM
I have a friend that uses a Dual 533 G4 setup.. he uses Logic tho...

He has no problems... mostly he uses hardware (synths, samplers etc) as oppsoed to software ones and just logic for sequencing...

If you were using software synths i dare say you would want something with a bit more power than an emac.. if he is serious.. but you could get by on an emac..

i was able to do some video editing on an old G3 600mhz Snow iBook a while back so im convinced that old macs can do ALOT of stuff...

hawker
1st December 2004, 11:14 AM
Hell yeah, my iMac G3 600 still handles what I throw at it, and one of my mates who is a good video editor still uses his iBook G3 500 to do his editing, although I must confess, the 10GB of Hard Drive space he has sucks, so he uses a pocket drive, which works, so yeah!

thomas
1st December 2004, 12:09 PM
As long as the emac has a direct audio input, i'm sure it would be perfect to use with garageband. Personally, i'd go with the iMac G5 though...

pipsqeek
5th December 2004, 12:43 PM
Stevejay, a member that use to frequent here in the beginning used an eMac for all his GB recording, and he actually made CD's and sold them....as well as providing music for other forms of media...websites, videos, etc.

Just load it up with RAM...but that's no different to any other Mac is it now?

If you can afford to, buy a powermac though. For this type of thing, I can imagine that you will want to be upgrading stuff, and a powermac is just more logical for that.

pipsqeek

fompsweeva
5th December 2004, 04:42 PM
Generally for audio any current model mac is fine. I have a 1ghz 768ram Ibook that I use to run protools, garage band, reason and even Final Cut Pro.