PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky MacBook Hinge

Jaffa
4th October 2006, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,

Instead of giving me a mooing cow (fan) like a lot of the other macbooks got, I got a mouse. The plastic on the left side of the screen squeaks when the screen is about 90 and more. It uaually squeeks when the macbook has warmed up rather than when it is cooler.

I am currently doing work experience at my local AppleCentre and I talked to the guys there, they reakon that I shouldnt worry about it now as it will probably fix itself in time, and if it doesnt I should get it fixed before my warranty runs out.

Now, I do not want to wait till my warranty has run out, basically because it is quite annoying whn it happens. Now, someone told me that I should just put like half a drop of WD-40 or some kind of grease stuff on the part where the plastic squeaks to get rid of the squeak.

I am wondering what you guys think I should do to get rid of the squeak as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

eroda
4th October 2006, 07:19 PM
id take it back as anything you do might void warrenty,
unless yo wanna try some graphite but that also might kill your book

Jaffa
4th October 2006, 07:26 PM
Currawong suggested I try some Carbon Lube Powder because it is a Dry Lubricant, should I try that or should I leave it with the techies?

*Edit* If I was to leave it with the techies what would they actually do?

sarbear
4th October 2006, 07:30 PM
Lucky me, i got the cow and the mouse! Actually mine sounds more like a haunted house door than a mouse.....

scottgrot
4th October 2006, 07:30 PM
I showed the tech guy (that swapped over the dodgy RAM in my girlfriends macbook), this and he kind of looked at it and couldn't/didn't offer any advice.

Her squeak is on the right side of the hinge...

Any ideas? I guess I could take it to another apple shop. But aside from that, any suggestions?
s

Jaffa
4th October 2006, 07:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sarbear &#064; Oct 4 2006, 07&#58;30 PM) 221009</div>

Lucky me, i got the cow and the mouse&#33; Actually mine sounds more like a haunted house door than a mouse.....
[/b]

Mine sounds more like a haunted house door too, but I said mouse to go along with the cow :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scottgrot &#064; Oct 4 2006, 07&#58;30 PM) 221010</div>

I showed the tech guy (that swapped over the dodgy RAM in my girlfriends macbook), this and he kind of looked at it and couldn&#39;t/didn&#39;t offer any advice.

Her squeak is on the right side of the hinge...

Any ideas? I guess I could take it to another apple shop. But aside from that, any suggestions?
[/b]

I&#39;m in the same boat as you mate :(

internet
8th December 2006, 05:35 PM
hmm me too.. maybe there's some screws to loosen?

iDaife
8th December 2006, 05:44 PM
Haha I get this too- closing the lid quickly avoids it...

Byrd
8th December 2006, 05:51 PM
I'm with Currawong - a quick squirt of graphite will fix it. WD40/sewing machine oil may also do, but it might fling elsewhere and potentially mark the LCD.

It's a simple fix - the Apple tech probably couldn't care less.

JB

mini_Matt
19th August 2007, 09:57 PM
I know this is old but where would one get this dry lubricant.. I might consider this for a friends squeaky macbook

Byrd
19th August 2007, 10:41 PM
You can pickup dry graphite lubricant from a hardware store, or I even saw some in Safeway in the glue section (I was not snorting it, honest).

JB

carl
9th January 2008, 08:57 PM
My wife had the same noisy hinge on her Black MacBook. I googled it and found someone on another forum http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76324 they tried waxed dental floss on each side of the screen. It worked for me, all the noise gone completely.

zmit
11th January 2008, 09:15 AM
Haha I get this too- closing the lid quickly avoids it...

be careful with that one... closing it too quickly gradually wears hairline cracks into the 'book
I've already lost a piece on the left due to wear from the top tab hitting the base regularly. and I have the hairline crack on the right too.
I got the macbook in september...

Justin512989
11th January 2008, 01:03 PM
I have the same problem among others ..

Never buying another Display Model as long as I live =(

J.