PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.3 "panic: we're crashing here"

ajs
1st December 2004, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

Finally succumbed and bought Panther for my folks' G3 iMac 500MHz.

I tried to install Panther last night and the screen started getting all this code written to it and then the final message "panic: we're crashing here". :(

Any ideas as to why? Has anybody else experienced this?

I should add that when I installed 10.2 onto this machine that it would not boot off a CD, so I had to do a Target Disk installation. This was a p.i.t.a. I sort of hoped that it would not be necessary for Panther.

The disk drive in the iMac is a CD-RW. I have managed to burn a couple of CDs as a test and my Dad was able to rip one Frank Sinatra CD to iTunes when he first got the machine (... gotta love that ;) ), but since then the CDRW drive has had no use whatsoever by my folks.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers.

iSlayer
1st December 2004, 08:53 AM
there was a firmware update that you need to apply for that machine.

Disko
1st December 2004, 08:53 AM
That's what is called a Kernel Panic. It means that something is very wrong...

Try unplugging anything connected to the imac that isn't being used, eg: ethernet, external HD, printers and such. Then try again.

you can try resetting the P-Ram (not that it hardly ever helps) by holding :cmd: + option + P + R at boot (release after you hear the 2nd chime).

If they don't work, then you'll have to try reinstalling panther. Installing in Target Disk mode *should* work fine. After the 1st restart after installing, did you load OSX on the iMac, or on the other mac using the iMac as the Target disk? Which ever you did, try the other.

Good luck. :)

iSlayer
1st December 2004, 09:05 AM
check the disc.
just make sure it wasnt scratched when you got it.

ajs
1st December 2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 1 2004, 08:53 AM
there was a firmware update that you need to apply for that machine.
Thanks - I did the firmware update after I first bought this computer (I bought it 2nd hand) when I wiped all of OS 9 off of it and before I installed Jaguar - so I'm pretty sure it has the correct firmware update.

I'm not at my parents' place at the moment - so I can't check what firmware update it has. Can you let mw know how to verify this please?

ajs
1st December 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Dec 1 2004, 08:53 AM
That's what is called a Kernel Panic. It means that something is very wrong...

Try unplugging anything connected to the imac that isn't being used, eg: ethernet, external HD, printers and such. Then try again.

you can try resetting the P-Ram (not that it hardly ever helps) by holding :cmd: + option + P + R at boot (release after you hear the 2nd chime).

If they don't work, then you'll have to try reinstalling panther. Installing in Target Disk mode *should* work fine. After the 1st restart after installing, did you load OSX on the iMac, or on the other mac using the iMac as the Target disk? Which ever you did, try the other.

Good luck. :)
The iMac was not connected to anything aside from the USB keyboard, which had the USB mouse connected to it. (Apple Pro versions - black and translucent)

I don't understand your last comment though. When I first installed Jauguar onto the iMac - I had to do so in Target Disk mode - I booted the iMac up in Target Disk mode and loaded the Jaguar disks onto my TiPB. I then got my PB to install Jaguar onto the iMac drive. Then I shut down and rebooted - the iMac was fine.

I might have to do this again - but it is a royal p.i.t.a :angry: I don't know why this Mac won't boot off the CD drive. :(

ajs
1st December 2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 1 2004, 09:05 AM
check the disc.
just make sure it wasnt scratched when you got it.
I bought Panther brand new from the Apple Store - but just taking a look at Disk 1 now - it does have a *slight* mark on the disk. I'll see if I can run the installer on this PB and then get back to you. If it works on the PB, though, it does not necessarily guarantee that it will work on the iMac. On the other hand - if it does not work on the PB, then this could be *the* reason for not installing on the iMac.

Thanks. (geez - will this be embarrassing if this is what prevents the iMac from booting off of it!) :o

Disko
1st December 2004, 09:35 AM
What happens if you put the iMac into target disk mode, and booting the Powerbook off it?

Edge
1st December 2004, 10:09 PM
10.3 does not like dodgy RAM, especially during installation. If you have installed additional RAM, it would be worthwhile to remove it for the duration of the install.

ajs
1st December 2004, 10:27 PM
Well it was not the scratch on the disk - the installer on Disc 1 runs fine on my TiPB.

ajs
1st December 2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Edge@Dec 1 2004, 10:09 PM
10.3 does not like dodgy RAM, especially during installation. If you have installed additional RAM, it would be worthwhile to remove it for the duration of the install.
I'll check the RAM tomorrow. It has 512MB - two different sticks, and the iMac recognises them both when using System Profiler - also when viewing the "About This Mac" box.

However, if one of them is preventing the booting up off the CD, then I'd like to know. I'll take one stick out at a time and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.