PDA

View Full Version : Parrallels is dead. Anyone else?

new2mac
3rd October 2006, 08:12 AM
Well it's dead...
I turned on the app, booted XP and got a window saying it was out of virtual disk space. Nice one. Started sorting that out & the whole app started to act eratically. Bouncing, not responding etc.
Tried to uninstall - reinstall Parrallels. as per thier customer support instruction. No luck. Tried booting from an XP disk. No luck there.

Any ideas out there? The only crucial thing in that program is my MYOB files. I'll lose a month but thats my fault for irregular back ups. :cry:

purana
3rd October 2006, 08:27 AM
Well you can't blame the app if the virtual machines disk filled up, bit of a user error on that account. Is it a Windows XP virtual machine? If so, you might have more luck booting it into recovery mode with a Windows XP cd and deleting any files from the various temp directories about to free up enough space to have it boot.

Otherwise you could always imagine the virtual machines drive using Acronis True Image (and then with another virtual XP machine install acronis true image into a Windows XP already running, which will allow you to basically mount the image you made of the dud machine (and then extract files you need to salvage)).

new2mac
3rd October 2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks... I didn't blame the app at all in my post. I know the error was my own.

Good advice, I'll try it. Or I'll dump it as I need to have no mistakes with my business records. Perhaps Boot Camp is an option after all.

purana
3rd October 2006, 08:37 AM
Sorry if that tone was wrong..

So you say you can't even load Parallels now? Ouch. Trash the some pref/plist files and see how it goes. But the method I describe above for making an image of the drive (to mount said image on another working system will certainly work). Although the program named is not free.

jeremy_warnock
3rd October 2006, 08:53 AM
Are you running the latest version of parrallels? I have an issue where xp would just hang on the boot but updating to RC2 fixed that. Also did you try running the image tool to increase the size of the virtual disk?

ilostmypassword
3rd October 2006, 09:09 AM
I had this happen to me on the first release... while playing around with it. Fortunately I don't use BETA software for important work ;)... and to be honest i don't think i'll ever use parallels or bootcamp for important admin.

I'm in the similar boat where our XP machine acts soley for quickbooks and quotes etc.... and i like it as a seperate machine.... I TRUST IT ;)

My advice, cut your losses and setup another machine and leave parellels and bootcamp alone.

As for trying to recover your files..... no idea... maybe call a PC store? :(

purana
3rd October 2006, 09:10 AM
I am running RC2, as of yesterday. I need to tinker around with it some more to see whats changed. I am also awaiting EMC to finally announce VMware for OSX is available as beta, then I can jump on that and see how good they bring out the first product for OSX (and hopefully it will introduce some competition for Parallels) even though both of them have similar UI's (but can't blame Parallels for doing a copy of certain aspects of VMware's UI).

AWSEM Films
3rd October 2006, 09:46 AM
Our local Apple users group did a comparison on Parrallel Vs Boot camp
Seems Parrallel did not get a very good end result
And getting back up msupport in Australia so just no available

ilostmypassword
3rd October 2006, 10:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWSEM Films &#064; Oct 3 2006, 09&#58;46 AM) 220450</div>

And getting back up msupport in Australia so just no available
[/b]

huh?

Edit: ahhhh mssupport = Microsoft Support? *light bulb*

purana
3rd October 2006, 10:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWSEM Films &#064; Oct 3 2006, 09&#58;46 AM) 220450</div>

Our local Apple users group did a comparison on Parrallel Vs Boot camp
[/b]

That&#39;s like comparing Apples and Oranges...

Its like me comparing Windows XP running native on a PC and then comparing it to running Windows XP in a VMware workstation session (aka virtual machine software lik parallels).

Native running will always win out over virtual. So it was obivous from the word go which would be better in that comparison I am afraid.

Personally I prefer virtual, as then I dont need to reboot out of OSX or any other operating system (assuming I was doing in on a PC with VMware workstation).

Of course virtual has limitations (and probably always will).

new2mac
3rd October 2006, 12:54 PM
Well it&#39;s interesting isn&#39;t it...

Firstly it was my error - no doubt about that.

I didn&#39;t use a Beta, I bought the App. But _ you know it is V1.
I live on my MBP & run 3 businesses with it. So accounting software is going to be on the MBP.
I have a mixture of 6 machines (3 PC&#39;s & 3 Macs)
I will not bank or do any financials on a PC

So it&#39;s a little off topic, but what accounting solution can I use?
MYOB is hateful. Cashflow Manager is PC only.
If I use either I must run XP on my MBP.

Tough compromise huh?

purana
3rd October 2006, 01:04 PM
I&#39;d stick with the setup you had, but try to understand what happened. It sounds like one thing with the disk fillling in the virtual machine went onto cause the other problems. So if step 1 didn&#39;t happen, then maybe 2, 3 and 4 might not have happened either.

Of course virtual machine has some limitations, and I have found one so far (or atleast only lastnight), although can&#39;t remember it not working previously.. Daemon Tools (virtual cd/dvd rom emu) don&#39;t work on the latest RC2 :(

ilostmypassword
3rd October 2006, 01:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(new2mac &#064; Oct 3 2006, 12&#58;54 PM) 220522</div>

MYOB is hateful. Cashflow Manager is PC only.
If I use either I must run XP on my MBP.

[/b]

If it&#39;s that important.... then back it up EVERYDAY. Simple solution.

purana
3rd October 2006, 01:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilostmypassword &#064; Oct 3 2006, 01&#58;05 PM) 220527</div>

If it&#39;s that imortant.... then back it up EVERYDAY. Simple solution.
[/b]

And of course, a simple method to backup your parallels virtual machine, is to copy all the files relating to the virtual machine else where (think of it a point in time copy).

ilostmypassword
3rd October 2006, 01:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purana &#064; Oct 3 2006, 01&#58;07 PM) 220529</div>

And of course, a simple method to backup your parallels virtual machine, is to copy all the files relating to the virtual machine else where (think of it a point in time copy).
[/b]

Nice idea :thumbup:

Jaffa
3rd October 2006, 04:39 PM
I have the latest Beta. No problems for me :D

new2mac
3rd October 2006, 08:01 PM
Can I have Time Machine now please Steve? B)

mac_man_luke
3rd October 2006, 08:19 PM
MYOB runs under mac os x, why use a windows version?

Chundermuffin
3rd October 2006, 10:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mac_man_luke &#064; Oct 3 2006, 08&#58;19 PM) 220636</div>

MYOB runs under mac os x, why use a windows version?
[/b]
If he&#39;s using RetailManager, there is no Mac version.

choy
3rd October 2006, 11:52 PM
Is it just me, or has no one else suggested opening up the drive image in ImageTool.app (which is included with Parallels desktop, look in the parallels folder in your applications folder), and increasing the size of the virtual disk space?

new2mac
4th October 2006, 08:08 AM
I&#39;m noy using retail manager.
As a switcher I&#39;ve had some app&#39;s that I had previously purchased. Some are critical to my business workflows etc. MYOB on PC is one. Especially since my admin person is Mac illiterate. Hence I kept MYOB running in a Windoze environment.
I&#39;ll probably pay the &#036;100 to change my MYOB to the Mac version & train my book keeper to use OS X.

I think thats safer at this stage ;)

purana
4th October 2006, 08:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(choy &#064; Oct 3 2006, 11&#58;52 PM) 220697</div>

Is it just me, or has no one else suggested opening up the drive image in ImageTool.app (which is included with Parallels desktop, look in the parallels folder in your applications folder), and increasing the size of the virtual disk space?
[/b]

Indeed you can certainly do that, but I am not even certain windows when booted (would remotely be able to resize ntfs filesystem on the fly).

The filesystem on the device has to support resizing on the fly, and well I dont think ntfs does that, but certainly worth a try (and of course as per the applications suggestion). Backup the file representing the disk before you do it.

new2mac
4th October 2006, 09:23 AM
No resizing didn&#39;t work for me in this case.
Actually lead to losing the entire XP installation.

purana
4th October 2006, 09:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(new2mac &#064; Oct 4 2006, 09&#58;23 AM) 220760</div>

No resizing didn&#39;t work for me in this case.
Actually lead to losing the entire XP installation.
[/b]

So you tried this before the problem (or after you got the message about full space). I dont recall you mentioned this in your post.

The application clearly states, backup the virtual disk file (before doing anything, including a defrag on it using the tool they supply).

Anyways, I was 99% certain that NTFS certainly wouldn&#39;t allow you to resize its filesystem on the fly. So even if the resize using the tool worked, Windows and its NTFS filesystem would still be stuck at the size it was.

Like a real computer, a virtual machine has to be managed. ie. don&#39;t fill the filesystem up. etc.

Sorry to hear you had so much problems, but it&#39;s not a bad product (just needs to be managed correctly).

I think backups are becoming more and more important, since more and more people now have digital cameras.

As they say, lesson learnt.

new2mac
4th October 2006, 10:27 AM
Purana, Once again for clarity...

I am not blaming Parallels in any way. The mistake was my own as I have repeatedly stated. I&#39;ve posted my experience so others won&#39;t make my mistake.
Also, a mixed office platform system is becoming easier to manage lately & I&#39;m totally in favour of this obviously. But there will be hiccups along the way.

My experience is just such a hiccup. we&#39;ll all learn from it :)