PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a camcorder sub $1,000

decryption
30th November 2004, 07:11 PM
I don't know if I'll actually buy one, at the moment it just seems like a big itch wanting to be scratched, but I want a digital camcorder. My budget wouldn't be anymore than $1,000.

I know I could get a 3CCD camera for around $2,500 and it would give me a fair bit more quality, but 2.5k buys me an iMac :P

So yeah, can anyone recommend a camcorder for me under 1k? Or, what the hell do I look for when buying a digital camcorder anyways? I know the CCD makes a difference, but the lens would make a big difference too I'd assume. I don't know what video camera lenses are like really, I'm only used to photo camera lenses.

I'm looking at the Sharp VLZ1E (http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***JGJ-IG-134134134137142138-1371***-eProducts***-***shopping(directory)***.ws4d?shopping/results(S).html) that Wicked Digital currently has for $699. Seems like a good price to me. Anyone got any experience with one?

zen
30th November 2004, 07:34 PM
that's 800K Pixle... Your looking at something similar to an iSights quality :unsure: am I right? Most point & shoot digital camera's can take video's too, why don't you consider one with slightly better quality? $1k is plenty within that class.

Just buy my 6.4MP DSLR already! :P my advice, save up for something decent.

decryption
30th November 2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by zen@Nov 30 2004, 08:34 PM
that's 800K Pixle... Your looking at something similar to an iSights quality :unsure: am I right? Most point & shoot digital camera's can take video's too, why don't you consider one with slightly better quality? $1k is plenty within that class.

Just buy my 6.4MP DSLR already! :P my advice, save up for something decent.
Hmm, the sensor may be the similar to the iSight, but the lens would be a fair bit better. I'd hope anyways, I could be wrong! :P

A still image camera compresses everything into MPEG-4 and is limited to 10-15min as the size of the memory card in it limits the movie length. You also can't zoom properly while shooting with a still camera. I wouldn't really want to use a still camera for video...

macmate
30th November 2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Nov 30 2004, 07:48 PM
Hmm, the sensor may be the similar to the iSight, but the lens would be a fair bit better. I'd hope anyways, I could be wrong! :P

A still image camera compresses everything into MPEG-4 and is limited to 10-15min as the size of the memory card in it limits the movie length. You also can't zoom properly while shooting with a still camera. I wouldn't really want to use a still camera for video...
i would look at the canon range. the low end is a great camera. i think its the 700i or something like that. i highly recommend it.

we do alot of these so call/message me if you want more info on it cause i have borchures i can send out if you want. or you can check it online cause i think they have them on their site too.

wickeddigital
30th November 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Nov 30 2004, 07:11 PM
I'm looking at the Sharp VLZ1E (http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***JGJ-IG-134134134137142138-1371***-eProducts***-***shopping(directory)***.ws4d?shopping/results(S).html) that Wicked Digital currently has for $699. Seems like a good price to me. Anyone got any experience with one?
It is the last one left too.....

wickeddigital
30th November 2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by zen@Nov 30 2004, 07:34 PM
that's 800K Pixle... Your looking at something similar to an iSights quality
It is way superior to an iSight.....light years better!

macmate
30th November 2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by wickeddigital@Nov 30 2004, 08:04 PM
It is way superior to an iSight.....light years better!
not even the same ball park

estoyloco
30th November 2004, 11:17 PM
another thing you can do decryption...

jump on ebay.au, type in 3CCD and you often find ex-lease cameras that are 3CCD not compact but if you want it for some above average movie making right up your alleyt in terms of external mics etc..

or sometimes you find people that went to japan and bought this super camera for next to nothing and dont need it.. i nearly bought some never released 3CCD panasonic camera for $700 cos it only cost the guy $1k over there and he just could learn how to use it..

hawker
1st December 2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by zen@Nov 30 2004, 07:34 PM
my advice, save up for something decent.
That is good advice Zen.

In 6 months you'll probably have another $500 and be like, man I coulda got a better camera. But it depends how serious you are. Most people get a camera, use it for a week, stick it in the cupboard and use it once in a blue moon!

mdmcholet
1st December 2004, 08:10 AM
I got Sharp digital camcorder late last year (my Dad picked it up in Singapore for me) and love it - cant remember the model but will check when I go home.

Easy to use and picture quality is great.

Cheers

king89
1st December 2004, 08:50 AM
I have a JVC GR-DX95, which I got in HK about a year ago sub A$1000. Should be much cheaper now. :P

Picture quality:
It is okay, it is nothing compared to the 3CCDs of course. However, in low light, the picture quality degrades at an exponential rate. Still pictures are horrible.

Size:
It is probably one of the smallest and lightweight cameras when I bought it. It feels really small is my hands. The controls are placed in intuitive positions, but do require a little getting used too.

Sound quality:
It is okay, but would prefer a directional microphone, of which can be added I think.

It uses MiniDV tapes, which are regularly available.

I can't really give you any comparisions with other brands. As I haven't really tried other ones, except when I was trying them all out before settling on the JVC. It had a good price to quality/size ratio. Size is important, if it is too big and clumsy you really wouldn't want to use it much. i.e. leave it in the cupboard and take it out once in a blue moon.

wickeddigital
1st December 2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Nov 30 2004, 07:11 PM
If you do buy it from us I will give you FIVE FREE DV tapes for being an AppleTalk member! And keep in mind you also get a FREE Extra Tape with it and a Camera bag!