PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyist Film-makers

decryption
30th November 2004, 04:55 PM
I'm interested in buying myself a camcorder that would be used to make little short films.
Does anyone here do the same? I'd love to see some work, examples of what can be done with a consumer grade camera and software like Final Cut Pro, Shake, Motion and the rest :)

tempestas
30th November 2004, 05:15 PM
I borrowed a Sony before our wedding & can post a vid in QT I made of the cat if that is of interest. I have a mate with FCPro (and skills) who is assisting in turning the raw footage into something decent and have 90secs of his work.

File sizes are not small so I'll see if I can put it up on my trial .Mac account tomorrow.

Sony/Canon/Panasonic have the best reps for digital cameras, but as always what do you want it to do & how much are you willing to spend? B)

zefi
30th November 2004, 05:16 PM
These are ultra short films:

http://tensecondcinema.com/

But I'm somewhat mesmirised by them.

decryption
30th November 2004, 06:01 PM
Those little films are pretty cool zefi. But I watch them and say "aw, what, it's over already?" :P

Jimbo
30th November 2004, 08:03 PM
my opinion, go with sony, and a common digital format, such as minidv, or dvcam, don't go with dvd, miromv or analogue formats (cept' 16mm film:D)

i have not had great experience with panasonics, and canon make bloody good cameras in the pro market, but not in the consumer.

features price and reliability go sony.

as for short films, where are you located wanna get together and fight crime?, i mean make short films

decryption
30th November 2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Nov 30 2004, 09:03 PM
my opinion, go with sony, and a common digital format, such as minidv, or dvcam, don't go with dvd, miromv or analogue formats (cept' 16mm film:D)

as for short films, where are you located wanna get together and fight crime?, i mean make short films
Yeah, MiniDV is what I'd go with. DVCam is far too expensive for me :P
The others are just proprietary formats. And analogue? *shudders*

Too bad you're in Canberra, otherwise I'd meet up with you and discuss video cameras :P

arty
30th November 2004, 09:42 PM
Definitely go with MiniDV.

Sony are good - very nice lenses, but you pay for the name.

If you don't want to spend too much 1st up - have a look at JVC. A little bigger than the Sony and Panasonic offerings, but have all the same features for less $$$.

If your budget isn't too limited, and you are looking at higher-end Sony consumer cams, also have a look at the pro range. Some of the lower end pro models have more features than the high-end consumer, but actually cost less - don't ask me why *lol*

decryption
30th November 2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by arty@Nov 30 2004, 10:42 PM
Definitely go with MiniDV.

Sony are good - very nice lenses, but you pay for the name.

If you don't want to spend too much 1st up - have a look at JVC. A little bigger than the Sony and Panasonic offerings, but have all the same features for less $$$.

If your budget isn't too limited, and you are looking at higher-end Sony consumer cams, also have a look at the pro range. Some of the lower end pro models have more features than the high-end consumer, but actually cost less - don't ask me why *lol*
Hmm, the JVC models seem to have a higher lux rating, which is good for low light conditions. Might look into their range :)

estoyloco
30th November 2004, 11:13 PM
Decryption..

I have owned a heap of miniDV cameras..

Try and get a PAL model first off.. i know its tempting but PAL is better quality from same camera in alot of cases. MicroMV probably isntsupported by iMovie yet (someone correct me).

Get a camera with at least 530lines.. my old JVC used to have 540 and its been the best quality video camera i have had. It was the GR-DVX9. They dont sell them anymore.. i can believe i sold it..

I havent followed digital video cameras lately but i hear that Panasonic have some cheap 3CCD cameras on the market that can be had in PAL version from ebay for around $1100 delivered. You can easily pick up a camera from JBHIFI for under $1k these days but its worth getting something good.

My last cameras were JVC DVP3 then upgraded to DVP7. Awesome cameras i got them cos of size, 530 lines, 1MP stills, effects, and overall quality... i find JVC better than sony.

I have owned and can comment on

Sony IP5, IP7, PC9
JVC DVX9, DVP3, DVP7

Only thing sony has going for it above JVC is nightvision which is patented i think.. JVC have a night mode but you need to be filming still objects otherwise the motion is jaggered. I can take some pics of my current DVP7 if you want to know what it looks like etc, in my hands size.. its TINY!!!

i got mine(one of many) back in the days for $520USD not sure what they are at now but it was a bargain back then!....if you need any help finding a specific model i can look around... i used to import them to fund my video camera addiction..

decryption
30th November 2004, 11:16 PM
If you have any cameras you wish to sell estoyloco, I'd be interested :)

saggsy
1st December 2004, 07:35 AM
I made a movie of when me and my GF went to melbourne for the weekend. :lol: The content was really boring, we just went shopping!!, but i made it flow to an extent.

hawker
1st December 2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Nov 30 2004, 11:13 PM
Try and get a PAL model first off..
As opposed to what? NTSC? LOL

If you have the cash splurg on a Sony PD150 or Canon XL1. If not, look for a 3CCD camera, which will give out better qauilty all the time.

Panasonic, Canon and Sony lead the way in technology, but I have to say from the offset I am a Sony man, but if i had $10,000 would grab an XL1 in a heartbeat.

titan44
1st December 2004, 07:47 AM
Have alook at the panasonic 3ccd the're very afordable now, i've got one awsome picture quality

Jimbo
1st December 2004, 08:12 AM
but if i had $10,000 would grab an XL1 in a heartbeat.

$10,000? try like 3,000 they are not expensive cameras, and pd150, from memory are dvcam anyway, which although has longer recording time on tapes, are generally twice the price of minidv tapes

estoyloco
1st December 2004, 08:26 AM
Yeh there is some dude on ebay selling an XL1 for buy it now of $2500..

HAWKER yes thats exactly what i mean.. as opposed to NTSC... he might have gone the import from US route....

DECRYPTION sorry no cameras at the moment.. just the one that i kept for the family to use....

I never looked at the larger models cos i wanted portability.. So i couldtn tell you if the LARGER/Cheaper vidcams perform as well as the ones i had...

There are often ex-gig cameras on ebay so if you want a full pro one then grab one off there.. they will be thrashed tho.. probably used once /twice a week for months/years..

Those panasonic ones are gettin good reviews, i think the GS120 sells for around $1200 on ebay.. and proabably even cheaper through an imported... I cant comment on them but they are 3CCD, have 1MP stills,LEICA lens (probably means leica designed not built)

hawker
1st December 2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Dec 1 2004, 08:12 AM
$10,000? try like 3,000 they are not expensive cameras, and pd150, from memory are dvcam anyway, which although has longer recording time on tapes, are generally twice the price of minidv tapes
XL1 is finished now, and according to:

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/c..._video/xl2.html (http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/cameras_video/xl2.html)

$8999.00 inc GST RRP, the cheapest I can get it would be around $6500, add on $1500 for the Miller Tripod I would get $8,000. pretty close to my ball park figure of $10,000!

PD150's are Mini DV, otherwise I have been putting the wrong tapes into them for the past three years! I don't pay RRP for tapes, TV industry contacts means I get them for a steal, $8 Mini DV Tapes, $40 DV cam Tapes!

zefi
1st December 2004, 08:47 AM
I reckon an Appletalk film competition is in order!

hawker
1st December 2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by zefi@Dec 1 2004, 08:47 AM
I reckon an Appletalk film competition is in order!
Sounds like it :P

king89
1st December 2004, 11:51 AM
have a look at this site. (http://www.mymoviefest.com)

It has a lot of great movies that people have done on Macs.

Ozi
1st December 2004, 12:04 PM
nice site, King! http://www.mymoviefest.com/movies/729.html tehehe

pipsqeek
2nd December 2004, 12:00 AM
Dec, I think you mean, a lower lux rating is better for low light.

Funny how the low end pro-sumer cams are cheaper then the high end consumer cams.

pipsqeek