PDA

View Full Version : HELP: MacBook Pro SuperDrive problem

cgollner
29th September 2006, 06:46 PM
I have started to have a strange issue with the Superdrive. Here are its details.
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857:
Firmware Revision: HAE4
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Some background. I always have been using Sony DVD-R 8x media, with the MBP and my Powerbook. I ran out of supply and in a pinch bought some TDK DVD-R 16x.
I out the blank media in, wait a few seconds it gets ejected. Try a few more times and eventually it works. Sometimes the discs work first go. I use roxio to burn them. Burn and verify with no problems. Eject disc. Inserted it again, wait a few seconds and it ejects.

I thought it was just the media. Payday rolls round and I go buy some of my Sonys.

WTF. Same problem. What the hell is going on. I put in some commercial media data and dvd-video ones. No problems. Discs spin up in a few seconds. I put in some of my Sonys from some months back. Same problem.

I am thinking its a drive issue. Seems pretty selective though. I put my ear close to the drive when I put a blank in and you can here partially spin up, then pause, then spin up again. 3 or 4 repetitions and the disc ejects. Powerbook can read and accept all the discs without problems, further supporting my suspicions thats its the drive.

So, is my SuperDrive fubar'd or what. What puzzles me is why is it only recordable media.

Chris.

nicwithsticks
29th September 2006, 07:17 PM
Could indeed be the drive - Both TDK and Sony make great media and regardless of it's rated speed the MBP should be able to burn to it without a problem or ejecting like you have mentioned.

It's under warranty so if it continues I'd take it in for a looksie

krazy1
29th September 2006, 08:15 PM
Are u burning at maximum possible speed?

Maybe try burning at lower speed?? Have noticed at times that usually works, but still for a MB Pro thats still under waranty, just get it fixed.

cgollner
30th September 2006, 07:42 AM
I did burning at all the speeds available 1x, 2x, 4x. Does not go any higher even with 8x or 16x media. Anyway, looks like Nextbyte in Clarence Street in Sydney is my closest service centre, 5 minutes from work. I'll pop in there Tuesday morning with it. I presume I only need to take the MBP? I have read threads about service and to not pester them etc. Any idea what the turn around could be? days/weeks (hopefully not).

Chris

jerrah
30th September 2006, 07:50 AM
TDK works fine with my MBP.

spike@au
30th September 2006, 09:12 AM
I guy I work with had the same issue and took it back to Apple and they replaced the drive, to 3 weeks to get the part so be prepared to lose it for a while. Alternatively see if they will let you keep the lappy until the parts come in.

krazy1
30th September 2006, 10:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgollner &#064; Sep 30 2006, 07&#58;42 AM) 219537</div>

I did burning at all the speeds available 1x, 2x, 4x. Does not go any higher even with 8x or 16x media. Anyway, looks like Nextbyte in Clarence Street in Sydney is my closest service centre, 5 minutes from work. I&#39;ll pop in there Tuesday morning with it. I presume I only need to take the MBP? I have read threads about service and to not pester them etc. Any idea what the turn around could be? days/weeks (hopefully not).

Chris
[/b]

Hack nextbyte, they will take 2-3 weeks for a simple superdrive. Cant make promises, but try Powermedia in Surry Hills, they shouldnt take longer than a week from what ive seen and the service guys actually care. Just take your MacBook Pro.

MadMuggle
30th September 2006, 02:45 PM
It *might* be the cd. I&#39;m no computer expert (I come in here to ask questions not answer them&#33;) but my husband just got a new MacBook Pro and we got some dvd&#39;s for him to burn and they wouldn&#39;t even show up on his computer. We mucked around a bit, one got jammed, a few spat out etc and so we tried the same type in my Powerbook and what is happening to you happened to me - spat it out repeatedly.

We plan on returning the dvds. We would never have though faulty dvds were possible, but it&#39;s never happened before or since with other brands (they were Verbatim printable dvds which we use all the time). It&#39;s weird.

cgollner
17th October 2006, 09:21 AM
Got my MBP back today. Just a little over a week via Nextbyte. Was in email contact with the technician doing the actual work and received an email update part way through. It was the drive that was faulty and it has been replaced. Interesting thing is the new drives eject/drawin mechanism is much quieter than the original one.