PDA

View Full Version : iStat: Memory graph normal?

ppops
29th September 2006, 12:51 AM
Is this normal? It is always full like that...

I only have Safari, iTunes and iStat running........I don't find anything wrong with it's performance it just looks weird because the bar is always full.

I am using a 1.67 Ghz 15" G4 Powerbook with 1 Gb of RAM and using 10.4.7.

Thanks! :)

marc
30th September 2006, 11:42 AM
Has your mac been on for a long time?

The iStat graph shows inactive ram as being part of the used ram, so if you haven't restarted in a while then it makes sense for it to be like that.

From Apple:

Wired memory
This information can't be cached to disk, so it must stay in RAM. The amount depends on what applications you are using.

Active memory
This information is currently in RAM and actively being used.

Inactive memory
This information is no longer being used and has been cached to disk, but it will remain in RAM until another application needs the space. Leaving this information in RAM is to your advantage if you (or a client of your computer) come back to it later.

Free memory
This memory is not being used.

What does all this mean?
This means you shouldn't worry when the Free memory is low. The only time Free memory should be high is right after the computer starts up. As you use applications or services, memory is used and transitions to Inactive. Applications that need more memory will take from the Inactive, but the Inactive is there just in case you need it again. If the combination of Free and Inactive is very low, then you might need more memory.[/b]
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

Just so everyone knows, we're working on some documentation for the iStat application release, so all this stuff will make more sense!

ppops
30th September 2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the reply! It makes more sense now...

Yeah at that stage....the uptime was probably about a week. I probably only turn it off on average once every week (sowftare updates and stuff).

Since I understand now....why wouldn't the graph show

Wired and Active Vs. Inactive and Free

instead of:

Wired and Active and Inactive Vs. Free

To me, that would make more sense....just a suggestion.

Thanks. Love you widgets and apps! :D

marc
30th September 2006, 01:22 PM
You've inspired a blog post :)
http://islayer.com/blog/?p=69

Maybe we should show just wired and inactive. Not sure.