PDA

View Full Version : Animation

Disko
30th November 2004, 12:19 PM
What do people use for creating animations? Is there an app that does it for osX?

Does anyone work in the film/animation industry who can share their experiences? :)

InfiniteAnthony
30th November 2004, 01:26 PM
Macromedia Flash or Fireworks does the job

iSlayer
30th November 2004, 01:29 PM
what kind of animation are you talking about.

Maya?

Disko
30th November 2004, 01:37 PM
anything/everything.

I saw a story on southpark, and watched them using an animation program that makes that... Might have been on windows though.

iSlayer
30th November 2004, 01:44 PM
well the 2 big pro animation apps are maya and 3dstudiomax
maya is the only cross platofrom one out of the 2.
it costs a fortune but there is a personal learning edition(PLE) which you can download for free.
its no good for commercial use as it has a watermark over everything you make in it.

they both take along time to learn but maya has a great online tutorial library that is worth checking out.
you will start off making very simple objects but after a week or 2 you will be able to make all kinds of things.
one of my favs is the winding staircase.

Ozi
30th November 2004, 01:46 PM
a lot of people also use Lightwave: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/

Its one of the two top animation apps, right alongside Maya. :)

iSlayer
30th November 2004, 01:48 PM
for mac yes it is.
i havent used lightwave.
ive always stuck with maya.

3dstudiomax is the easiest to learn but pc only!!

gelfie
30th November 2004, 01:52 PM
Not to mention Cinema4D. Which by all accounts is quite a capable piece of software.

As for modeling software for the mac, Modo is mac native, and developed on the mac. www.luxology.com

And there is also Silo which is a pretty kick butt modeler for $109US. www.nevercenter.com

There is also Wings3D which is very powerful and completely free. www.wings3d.com

And Cheetah3d (I think it is called) which is an os x native cocoa app. Though I haven't really done much more than give it a quick glance.

There are freeware Renderman Compliant renderers for the mac, such as 3Delight.

Oh, lets not forget Blender either.

gizo
30th November 2004, 01:59 PM
from the wings3d website:

"There is no support in Wings for doing animations."

gelfie
30th November 2004, 02:05 PM
yes, which is why I listed it along with the modelers. All the software listed after "As for modelling software" is, strange as it may seem, for modelling only.

iSlayer
30th November 2004, 02:06 PM
add bryce 5 for modelling aswell

gizo
30th November 2004, 02:07 PM
i punch myself in the head for you, okay.... sorry.. i am a shoddy reader..

InfiniteAnthony
30th November 2004, 04:20 PM
For 2D Animation Macromedia Director is what southpark was originally created on. Im not sure if they used Mac's as Director is cross platform.

Maya and Studiomax is for 3d stuff

arty
30th November 2004, 04:45 PM
Director can do 3D as well as 2D these days

gelfie
11th December 2004, 04:55 PM
Just realised, there is an opensource freeware app called K-3D that supposedly does animation (not sure to what extent, but as it seems with all opensource software it is constantly in development, so who knows).

It's a poly, nurbs, and subdivision modeler and supports numerous Renderman renderers.

www.k-3d.org

It'll compile on OS X, though I got sick of trying after downloading and compiling about four dependencies and still needing others...

pipsqeek
11th December 2004, 07:23 PM
ADDmotion.

Comes with every version of Hypercard. :P

Sorry, I am in a very happy mood.

PiPsQeEk :D

Squozen
21st December 2004, 11:30 PM
www.istopmotion.com !

sillydog701
22nd December 2004, 12:24 PM
I don't think I can afford Maya. But what about Poser? It is an animation software or just a modelling software? It's 209,00 EUR.

larfinboy
22nd December 2004, 04:34 PM
Just out of interest, South Park is done with 3DS Max on PeeCees.
Even though it looks 2D it's done with a 3D app.

I did a semester of animation as part of my degree and we used Director and Flash for 2D and 3DS Max for 3D. Being on PeeCees since the Uni are cheap skates.

Does Poser do animation ?

InfiniteAnthony
22nd December 2004, 05:28 PM
We all stand corrected!

Southpark was actually made on Alias/Wavefront's Power Animator on BL&U and now made on Alias' Maya software

http://www.southparkstudios.com/show/displ...709&search_faq= (http://www.southparkstudios.com/show/display_faq_search.php?section=2&id=8709&search_faq=)

elvis
22nd December 2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Nov 30 2004, 01:44 PM
well the 2 big pro animation apps are maya and 3dstudiomax
I dunno about calling them the "big 2". Sure, you're most likely to see these in a small animation or 3D house here in AU, but in hollywood the tools are far bigger and more complex.

There's Cinema4D, Houdini, Lightwave, XSI, Blender3D just to start. Most of the big houses like ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) will often have home-brew stuff that will never see the light of day commercially, as it's all trade-secret stuff.

Then there's renderers: the two biggest being Pixar's PRMan (their own version of the RenderMan specification) and Mental Image's Mental Ray, which you see bundled with many lower-budget modelling apps these days (XSI, Maya and 3dsMax all come with MR these days).

There are tonnes more tools out there. The list is almost as varied as the types of animation that people create. Maya and Max are certainly the two most common at the low-end of 3D production, but they are definitely not the last word in 3D.