PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Problems

STK
27th September 2006, 09:00 PM
my mac has had random shutdowns over the last couple of weeks. My macbook has been having some seriouse crashes my fan first overheats than my computer screen blacks out. its anoyin this happens 4-5 times a month and yeah macs don't crash this is my first mac and i was very impressed by it but now i almost regret buying it!! i still love apple but i wish some one could help so anyway my computer has jus been goin black and the only way to get back on was by the switch other times it would come up with a message sayin plz hold down the power switch frustrated yea i turn it off and this time it says macosx has unexpectedly quit when I reboot.

Simo

The Architect.mac
27th September 2006, 09:05 PM
Would you like me to come over and fix it for you...

I assume you have done all your firmware updates...

Take it back to where you bought it from to have it diagnosed...

mjankor
27th September 2006, 09:13 PM
It's a very common problem with Macbooks. Apple is aware of the the problem and has a solution. It's caused by a faulty heatsink design that burns through a sensor cable and shorts out the sensor resulting in an emergency shutdown.

Take it to an Apple service center. They should be able to diagnose it quickly. In fact, given the commonness of this problem they "should" just take your word for it. They may try playing with memory and other such things. It's extremely unlikely this will solve it. It will almost definately need a new heatsink and possibly a new logic board.

Quamen
27th September 2006, 10:08 PM
what mjankor said. And you'll be lucky to get it turned around anytime soon. I was quoted 2 weeks. Thank the gods for the mac mini on my desk.

scottgrot
27th September 2006, 10:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Simo &#064; Sep 27 2006, 09&#58;00 PM) 218698</div>

my mac has had random shutdowns over the last couple of weeks. My macbook has been having some seriouse crashes my fan first overheats than my computer screen blacks out. its anoyin this happens 4-5 times a month and yeah macs don&#39;t crash this is my first mac and i was very impressed by it but now i almost regret buying it&#33;&#33; i still love apple but i wish some one could help so anyway my computer has jus been goin black and the only way to get back on was by the switch other times it would come up with a message sayin plz hold down the power switch frustrated yea i turn it off and this time it says macosx has unexpectedly quit when I reboot.

Simo
[/b]

My girlfriend had a few problems like this. Her problems were due to faulty RAM.

So, assuming you have upgraded your RAM, you can check it for problems by inserting your hardware test disc -- the first of the two that came with the computer. Restart the computer and hold down the &#39;D&#39; key.

When it starts up, follow the instructions and the first test that it does is the RAM test. Only takes a couple of minutes.

If this is the problem, contact the shop where you got the RAM from, tell them that it is faulty and they should look after you.

Hope this helps,

- Scott

STK
27th September 2006, 10:31 PM
Done the hardware test...All is good.

choy
28th September 2006, 08:51 AM
Simo,

Just take it in the a service center.The random shutdown issue has been isolated to a part (assuming your RAM isn&#39;t faulty and your firmware updates are up to date). There&#39;s no point wasting time here expecting someone to fix the problem since it is likely a hardware issue (I believe they isolated the fault to a heatsink)

sensires
29th September 2006, 05:38 PM
yeah ... i&#39;ve read that the problem is due to the heatsink - vaguely remember the article saying the heatsink expands after a period of use and short circuits another system component causing the restart ...