PDA

View Full Version : I've Switched

Moose
29th November 2004, 08:48 PM
It's finally happened. The minister of war and finance (the wife) has previosly disallowed the purchase of any new Mac until late next year, however an opportunity to switch presented itself.
I was speaking to a mate that works in an education department and he told that they were updating to G5's and would be selling off older stock to staff at a reduced price and asked if I was interested. Of course I was.

He picked it up for me, specs as follows;

Powermac G4 400 MHz
512 mb ram
60 gig HD
OSX
17" Apple studio display, etc

How much you ask?

$100 all up!!!!!!

I know it's not the latest and greatest but it is to me. This means I can operate on Mac until the funds come in to update.

I just had to share, itís all too exciting.

Moose. B)

Atomac
29th November 2004, 08:56 PM
Well that is a steal. You would pay $500+ on eBay for that. Many congrats. The 400 Mhz will be great for most tasks, my 350 Mhz G3 is a gun (if a flint lock pistol). What OS?

Many congrats and welcome to the club.

Phillip
29th November 2004, 08:56 PM
Congrats.

Hope Mac OS X will convince you to go further in the Mac world ;)

*looks at the price* :o Thats a steal! Any more where it came from?

Moose
29th November 2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Captain Panz@Nov 29 2004, 08:56 PM
What OS?

OS is 10.208. I assume I will be able to update to 10.3?

Moose
29th November 2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Nov 29 2004, 08:56 PM
*looks at the price* :o Thats a steal! Any more where it came from?
No, all gone. I was hoping to get 2 and sell one on ebay to cover the cost. But that's just greedy isn't it. :P
There were 21 x G4 Pmacs and 8 x G3 700mhz imac that went for $50. I tried to get an imac as well but no luck. :(
Happy with this one though.

Phillip
29th November 2004, 09:05 PM
You have to *buy* 10.3. Or you can obtain it now, and pay for the upgrade to 10.4. I think thats fair.

Phillip
29th November 2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Moose@Nov 29 2004, 10:05 PM
No, all gone. I was hoping to get 2 and sell one on ebay to cover the cost. But that's just greedy isn't it. :P
There were 21 x G4 Pmacs and 8 x G3 700mhz imac that went for $50. I tried to get an imac as well but no luck. :(
Happy with this one though.
You greedy bastard! (I would do the same thing thou :lol: )

Moose
29th November 2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Nov 29 2004, 09:05 PM
You have to *buy* 10.3. Or you can obtain it now, and pay for the upgrade to 10.4. I think thats fair.
So this spec will run the latest OS no probs? I hadn't really looked into it. It's hard to get out of PC mentality, a PC only a couple of years old wouldnít run new OS without upgrading.

Itís a whole new world. :P

Ozi
29th November 2004, 09:16 PM
:D awesome price! Thats a very nice computer. And yeah it will run OS X (even the newest version) fine, with no probs.the 512MB of RAM is good, and to make it absolutely fly, you could add another 512MB chip (very cheap these days) and a faster HD. They are good computers for upgrading: lots of room inide, unlike lappies.

PyroVesten
29th November 2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Moose@Nov 29 2004, 08:48 PM
Powermac G4 400 MHz
512 mb ram
60 gig HD
OSX
17" Apple studio display, etc

$100 all up!!!!!!
Ho. ley. Crap. AWESOME PRICE! Very cool system too.

the_OM
29th November 2004, 11:36 PM
You know what the best thing about updating your OS will be?
Your mac will even feel faster....... Welcome to the promised land.

Thats an awesome price for an awesome system too.

eyeLikeCarrots
30th November 2004, 08:03 AM
That price is freaking unbeliveable!

spargo
30th November 2004, 08:21 AM
Moose, you're a damn champion..

I'd love one of those for home to run my music and house stuff on.. They must not have known what they were giving away!!

Top work! I wonder if it'll really be necessary to go for the upgrade so soon?

(are we sure he didn't forget the last zero?? :P )

Mark T
30th November 2004, 08:55 AM
Moose,

I've got one of those (currently gathering dust) and it's a great machine.

As mentioned earlier, put some more RAM into it if you can.

You may find that the standard graphics card inadequate by today's standards, as it won't even take advantage of quartz extreme (including those fancy revolving cube transitions when changing users and fading desktop pictures) but no big deal. I did upgrade mine to a Radeon 8500 mac edition which works a treat.

I have four hard drives sitting inside mine (PCI RAID card installed), so there's plenty of room for expansion there.

Yes, it will run the latest OS X 10.3.x with plenty of ease.

Minor drawback with mine was the noise that it made (compared to the new G5 iMac).

You and your Minister should be very pleased.

Regards,

Mark

iluvmymactoo
30th November 2004, 10:18 AM
That's neat :)

A friend of mine got the same setup a few months back. His cousin gave it to him because he couldn't sell it in his pc only shop lol

It's real simple and not expensive to upgrade.

Let us know how u get along.

gelfie
30th November 2004, 11:57 AM
10.3 is probably going to run better on it that 10.2 currently is. Every version of OS X so far as been speedier (on the same hardware) than its predecessor.

We have a dual 500mhz g4, and it runs really nicely. Nothing to complain about at all.

Adding some ram to that 512 will help out too, although 512 is a respectable place to start.

Currawong
30th November 2004, 01:43 PM
Just so you know, the General forum is for things not to do with Apple or computers, so I'm moving this to Apple/Tech General :)

Moose
30th November 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by spargo@Nov 30 2004, 08:21 AM
Moose, you're a damn champion..

I'd love one of those for home to run my music and house stuff on.. They must not have known what they were giving away!!

Top work! I wonder if it'll really be necessary to go for the upgrade so soon?

(are we sure he didn't forget the last zero?? :P )
I was totally surprised with the price, it has something to do with being a government department they have already taken the maximum tax cuts on the stock, so they basically they write it off at a loss. Or some crap like that. Who cares it's cheap. :P

pipsqeek
30th November 2004, 06:33 PM
That is a nice price.

I paid $600 for mine 6 months ago, same specs. No monitor.

lucky bastard!

pipsqeek

Moose
1st December 2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 30 2004, 06:33 PM
That is a nice price.

I paid $600 for mine 6 months ago, same specs. No monitor.

lucky bastard!

pipsqeek
I am loving this system. The monitor is the CRT version but matches the box really well. I'm surprised how high the res is on a three year old monitor. Are they Sony screens in these things?

Ozi
1st December 2004, 03:45 PM
is it this screen?
http://www.001abc.com/monitors/i/apple_17in_studio_display_1.jpg

Moose
1st December 2004, 03:49 PM
Yep. Isn't she a beauty. B)

Ozi
1st December 2004, 03:51 PM
very sexy. I love that display: the see-through bit at the back rocks. :)

Phillip
1st December 2004, 09:42 PM
I have just realised you got a 17" Apple CRT Display. definitely the hottest looking CRT.

And for $100 for everything. *jealous*

Moose
5th December 2004, 12:23 PM
here tis. B)

Phillip
5th December 2004, 01:48 PM
Nice ;)

*still feels jealous*

Edge
5th December 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Moose@Dec 1 2004, 03:25 PM
Are they Sony screens in these things?
Mitsubishi Diamondtron

AusMac
5th December 2004, 02:47 PM
Your contact .. moose .. he obviously told accounting that it was going in the bin and put the 100 bucks in his pocket.

Moose
5th December 2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by AusMac@Dec 5 2004, 03:47 PM
Your contact .. moose .. he obviously told accounting that it was going in the bin and put the 100 bucks in his pocket.
I wondered why the police were knocking at the door! :P

No it's all above board, I waiting for him to 'purchase' some spare parts from work though. A bigger hard drive and dvd burner would go nicely. :)

diomedes
5th December 2004, 07:08 PM
yeah we tender on stuff being thrown out by companies all the time, generally if no one in house wants them they go to the local auction house for what ever they can get for them.. but going to auction is more hassle apparently.

I picked up a g3 and a g4 with a 21" Studio monitor the other day (i only wanted the monitor) for 200 bucks.. money well spent me thinks.

My Office Setup inc my Macs (http://www.promonet.com.au/diomedes/office/)

Currawong
5th December 2004, 07:37 PM
diomedes, do repost that link in the post your setup (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=219) thread! I have never seen such an excellent collection of choice hardware - every machine there is either Sun, Apple, or carefully selected PC gear (Shuttle, Lian-li cased PC or the Coolermaster case). I want your job! What do you do? :)

diomedes
7th December 2004, 09:20 AM
I should probably update that now acutally, since i did that we've just added a new 72" Sun rack, a dual 2ghz G5, and a G5 iMac..

I'm the manager/director of a small Unix firm, all of those pc's primarily boot debian linux.. however we often have to dual boot them to do support work for our clients.

I think I'm pretty damn lucky actually to be working in an enviroment where I get to work with Unix most of my day. We're an Apple and Sun Microsystems Partner. We rollout Mac OS X machines for the workstations, and use Sun servers or Linux based x86 hardware for the servers.

They go togeather really well, as does the Xserve Raid units.