PDA

View Full Version : Gray Screen On boot?

roll_n_yaw
26th September 2006, 12:00 AM
For those of you who have not read my previous post. I have been trying to get a 12" g3 ibook to work again from a state of dead LCD screen. I have been rewarded in my efforts and now I am presented with a new dilema, a gray screen, with a folder icon in the middle which has superimosed on it a mac face icon alternating with question mark?? I admit a am completely new to the mac operating system and feel more at home with good old XP boot problems :D . So can someone tell me What does this screen mean and what can be done to fix/bypass it?

By the way I believe this mac did not suffer the famous ATI core delamination, I have narrowed it down to faulty backlight cables at the hinge junction. :thumbup:

MightyAtom
26th September 2006, 12:10 AM
It means the computer can not find the operating system to boot from.

mjankor
26th September 2006, 12:13 AM
Just chuck a system cd in and hold down c to make sure it boots of the cd during startup. (It shouldn't need the c key held down, but it can't hurt)

roll_n_yaw
26th September 2006, 12:32 AM
I see. Kinda afraid that would be the answer. Unfortunately for me I was given the laptop but not boot cd to go with it, I can only imagine where da hell I will get OS 9 from.... Hmm will tiger run on this baby?? How demanding is it? It would be a lot easier to get. :blink:

pipsqeek
26th September 2006, 07:18 AM
Tiger should run on any G3 iBook. Just make sure your have the RAM at a decent level.

applecollector
26th September 2006, 07:26 AM
ummm DVD or CD Drive?

mjankor
26th September 2006, 08:51 AM
You used to be able to download older OS's for free from Apple's site. OS 9 may be available there now.

stefanlod
26th September 2006, 08:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjankor &#064; Sep 26 2006, 08&#58;51 AM) 218165</div>

You used to be able to download older OS&#39;s for free from Apple&#39;s site. OS 9 may be available there now.
[/b]

That&#39;s right, but only up to 7.5.3 due to licensing reasons.

I suggest you use OS X due to the infinite advantages over OS 9. For a G3 iBook, I think Panther workes best, but that&#39;s just my opinion. If you&#39;re willing to use tiger (the last OS X version to work on the G3) then go for it. I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll find a way to get it&#33;

roll_n_yaw
26th September 2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks people, I will look it gettin tiger.

Does anyone here have a wiring diagram or knowlege of the cables running to the LCD?

I am quite sure its the backlight cable thats stuffed around the hinge area, I confirm this as the screen works at a ceirtain opening angle. When it&#39;s off i can see the icon under torch light. I must have got it working when I disturbed the cable while pulling the mac apart to shimmy the ATI core (which I dont think did anythin).

I now have to pull it apart again to fix the cable and remove the shim... :blink:
I think I will leave the aluminium fin and thermal paste under the heat shield just to apply small amout of pressure on the GPU, so the solder junctions do not delaminate in the future, but will more than likely remove the rest of the shim structure. I just hope the cable is damaged at the hinge not in the screen, the torx screw / hex key on the LCD are not standard sizes.....I found that out with two trips to bunnings to get one <_<

antechinus55
26th September 2006, 12:31 PM
Tell me the model of your iBook and where you are. I probably have/can get/can send you too the manual for it. The manuals are pdfs and I can&#39;t email it to you, hence the request for where you are.
IHHO 10.3.9 is the best for a g3 machine, but I have 10.4.7 on an iBook g3 700 640ram and its fine. You can use the firewire cable to install using target disk mode even if you don&#39;t have a dvd rom:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583
the tork screws certainly are standard, I have a set of tork screwdrivers from jaycar that fit them. from memory they are no 6 tork screws. the apple manual has all the details.

sao

roll_n_yaw
26th September 2006, 02:21 PM
Hey thanx for the offer, but I got the service manuals for this model in pdf already, also there is some good ones available on the web..... Although none of them go into the detail about wiring, just how to pull the thing appart. Does the manual you have differ ?? I mean does it have a wiring diagram, (what&#39;s under the black plastic shirink of the backlight cable). If so I am more than happy to provide details.

antechinus55
26th September 2006, 02:30 PM
nah, I got the official apple manuals and one from the pbfixit site. they have exploded diagrams but no wiring. BUT there is a seller on ebay now who is offering the bits you want, I have bought other bits off him and he is fine.

sao

roll_n_yaw
26th September 2006, 04:09 PM
Have you got an item link for this seller, i assume you are reffering to the backlight cable replacement.??

ClockWork
26th September 2006, 05:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Sep 26 2006, 07&#58;26 AM) 218146</div>

ummm DVD or CD Drive?
[/b]

Collector makes a good point here. Tiger installs from a DVD. Does this iBook G3 have a DVD Optical Drive?

If not, you&#39;ll need to install it from another Apple Mac with a DVD Drive, via a FireWire cable.

cheers,

cw

roll_n_yaw
26th September 2006, 07:32 PM
It&#39;s Got a combo drive... So DVD installation is not a problem. Just hope I was careful enough and did not disturb the optical drive track when removing that one pesky top cover screw underneath. When I press F12 it ejects the tray after about 10 seconds, is this normal? Maby a result of the corrupt OS as mentioned above??

MightyAtom
26th September 2006, 07:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roll_n_yaw &#064; Sep 26 2006, 08&#58;02 PM) 218345</div>
When I press F12 it ejects the tray after about 10 seconds, is this normal? Maby a result of the corrupt OS as mentioned above??
[/b]
F12 is the eject key on an iBook keyboard. You need to press "Fn + F12" to activate F12.

antechinus55
26th September 2006, 07:55 PM
roll
here is a link to the ebay member:
http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:SID (http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=sydster26&item=250028405836&iid=250028405836&frm=1883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:SID)

sydster is his moniker. as I said I have bought from him and he is fine.

sao