PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and deleting files

Mad1
29th November 2004, 12:51 PM
Am I missing something totally? I can't find a way to refresh a my music collection in iTunes? It's easy to add songs, but say I have moved some files around or deleted them, I have multiple copies listed in iTunes. I can't go through every file one by one just to refresh it. You can't even tell which one in the list is the deleted one without trying to play it. Please tell me I am missing something and this is just how it is. Winamp Media Centre is totally dynamic, and from all the good things I've heard about iTunes I thought it would handle this a bit better. But then again, maybe I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance.

thomas
29th November 2004, 01:09 PM
If i ever move a song (not that that ever happens cause i keep my music in the one directory) iTunes displays a ! next to it, indicating it has been moved....

sillydog701
29th November 2004, 01:10 PM
Have you tried "consolidating your library"?

Mad1
29th November 2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701@Nov 29 2004, 01:10 PM
Have you tried "consolidating your library"?
Consolidating might be a good idea if all my mp3 tags were correct and consistent (since it re-arranges all the files)... but they're not. and I don't have enough time to go through correcting spelling mistakes etc. of 12gb of music.

tempestas
29th November 2004, 02:47 PM
iTunes->Preferences->Advanced gives you the power to move where your music files are, but I think it won't cope with having folders in seperate folders - nested seems fine though.

Jmi
29th November 2004, 03:05 PM
Although I find iTunes can consolidate and put music into nice folders, but mp3 without proper info mentioned before does screw things up abit.

What I did was I used to have my own organisation of mp3 files, which I think most of you might have, and set the default location to point to it.
1. I "logically" separates them into different "playlists" and when I load them into the library, I dragged them into the playlist that I wanted.
2. Export it and save the playlist. Clear the library and repeat for the next playlist I wanted.
3. When all is done, I import each playlists which in turn loads them into the library.
4. Whenever I add a new song, it is added to the library, then dragged to the playlist and I export the playlist songs again.

From this way, I just need to keep an updated playlist. When files that are deleted or not found, the loading process will complain and I manually remove the entry from the playlists. then exports it again to make sure I got the new one.

Longwinded process but it suits me fine since I don't often add songs and I like the way I have already organised my songs.

Mad1
29th November 2004, 06:55 PM
Since I can't work out any better way, it seems any time i do some re-organising I have to remove all songs and re-add them. Yes I am talking major re-organising - I do it a lot.

I've just realised thomas is in Rocky too :)

Gothikon
30th November 2004, 06:18 AM
When you want to delete a file in iTune, select it and press command - backspace It should ask you if you want to move the file to the trash at the same time. If you are deleting files manually delete your entire library inside iTunes and re-add your music folder in one go (obviously don't tell it to move the files to the trash if you do this).

Also proper ID3 tags is easy if you remember 2 things. Batch editing, and don't rush it, if you make changes as and when you listen to tracks it's easy, before you know it they will all be correct, and I find iTunes is perfectly good at keeping my music organised.