PDA

View Full Version : MacBook RSD - Questions...

roundaboutmusic
21st September 2006, 09:39 AM
Hi guys,

I got my macbook back in june, and it's worked pretty much fine since then. I've been reading about all of these people having problems with random shutdowns and thinking 'thank god my machine's okay'

Until this morning... I fired up the macbook and after about 5mins, BOOM - shutdown. Tried turning it on again and it shutdown immediately. So I unplugged the power, turned it on and replugged the power and it's been working fine for the last 1/2 hour or so. So what should i do?

Will these shutdowns keep occuring?

Should i take it in to be repaired straight away?

What are the current wait times for this kind of repair in Aus?

and,

Can anyone recommend a repairer in Melb. I've had some trouble with the store i bought it from and i'd prefer not to deal with them again...

cheers,
-tom

hawker
21st September 2006, 09:46 AM
If you think it's going to be an on going problem, or want it checked out for peace of mind - take it to Ric (MacMate) on the forums. Good guy, knows his stuff and he won't stuff you around.

His details are on here: http://www.macmate.com.au! He'll look after you!

Repair times depend on parts availability!

roundaboutmusic
21st September 2006, 09:58 AM
cheers, I'll drop him a line.
-tom

Byrd
21st September 2006, 10:55 AM
roundaboutmusic,

Out of interest what does "RSD" mean in your thread title? The medical terminology in me says "reflex sympathetic dystrophy", but I doubt it's that :D

JB

nard
21st September 2006, 11:24 AM
RSD = random shut down

Am I right?

roundaboutmusic
21st September 2006, 11:43 AM
correct... although i did just look up reflex sympathetic dystrophy to try and make some comparisons, there aren't any really - but the macbook does get pretty warm sometimes :)

Wally
21st September 2006, 11:46 AM
Logicboard?

roundaboutmusic
21st September 2006, 04:12 PM
Apparently it's the heatsink/logic board problem.

I emailed Macmate and he's getting in the parts for me and when they arrive i'll drop the lappy in for repair. I am THRILLED by this service!

Last time i had a repair done on my macbook (the screen inverter needed replacing) it took the repair centre (a retail chain who shall remain nameless) over a week just to look at it. It then took another week to fix the problem :thumbdn:

It's going to take a while for the parts to come in, but at least i still have the computer in the meantime!

Of course it would be better if it didn't need fixing at all :angry:

-tom

macropus
21st September 2006, 05:40 PM
My MacBook's got the RSD problem as well :(

Anyone recommend somewhere to take it to in Sydney.

dRanged
22nd September 2006, 07:25 AM
I had the same PMU fault. It seems to develop a couple of weeks or months after first purchase.. Anyway after convincing Apple there was indeed a problem ("we've never heard of that!", they replaced the logic board, which took 2 weeks to complete (no boards in the country! Great supply chain.) Anyhow, I am using my new replaced logic board and guess what!!! You guessed it. RSD. Now I get to go through all this fun Apple stuff again.

PS. On the first reporting when the Apple consultant was denying this problem existed, he tried to upsell me to Applecare 3 years. Great timing mate!

So. Replacement this time I hope.
for more info, go
here (http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Random_Shut_Downs_.26_Rand omly_Turning_Off)

WonderBoy
22nd September 2006, 08:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roundaboutmusic &#064; Sep 21 2006, 04&#58;12 PM) 216659</div>
I emailed Macmate and he&#39;s getting in the parts for me and when they arrive i&#39;ll drop the lappy in for repair. I am THRILLED by this service&#33; [/b]

It should be noted that Macmate is trusting you to a degree. After the parts arrive he has a certain amount of days to return the faulty parts. If you were not to bring in the faulty parts for any reason by this time (family crisis, emergency job placement, broken down car, anything) then Macmate would be charged full price on the part and lose money on the repair.

Oh and I agree - would be great to have the working laptop you paid for.

ilostmypassword
22nd September 2006, 09:36 AM
Hey, look on the bright side. Apple are ar least dealing with the problems... it could be worse ;) :thumbup:

macmate
22nd September 2006, 09:38 AM
thanks for that wonderboy. i did stress that they have 4 days max to get me the computer and it would seem that it won&#39;t be a problem.

fitting him in for the repair will be the hard part, apple haven&#39;t started shipping the combo logicboard/heatsink part yet so i can&#39;t make plans to have some spare time as there is no ETA as yet. i could order the two parts seperately but then apple would punish me for too many two part repairs. you can&#39;t win sometimes.

ric

roundaboutmusic
22nd September 2006, 08:52 PM
It&#39;s true there is a degree of trust involved, in my case I desperately need my computer for uni (it&#39;s my only one) so being able to hang on to it for as long as possible (until the part arrives) and then getting it repaired as quickly as possible (ie as soon as the part arrives) are of the utmost importance to me.
I intimated this to Ric and let him know that i would make myself available to drop off/pick up the computer when it&#39;s ready to go.
Yes there&#39;s still a degree of trust involved, but it is that fact that i am most impressed with.
-tom

Maximage
22nd September 2006, 11:40 PM
I think this gives a perfect example of why the big companies expect you to leave your machine with them over the repair. It&#39;s one thing when Ric offers to take the risk over someone on ATAU (still very generous and very risky on his behalf considering roundaboutmusic is still a stranger [no insult intended roundabout]), can you imagine how often the big AppleCentres would get stung by Apple&#39;s repair policy if they let people take their machines back while they waited for parts and they didnt come back in time? The bigger companies tend to be the more prominent locations so Im sure would end up doing a much larger portion of the online sales repairs and DJ/Myer type repairs. Whilst frustrating having to wait so long, look at it from the other side of trying to manage a business under Apple&#39;s crappy policies. Thankfully there are also people like MacMate who are there in urgent situations like this&#33;