PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp and Windows xp

nicopiconico@hotmail.com
20th September 2006, 10:09 PM
Iam about to put Windows xp on my macbook with bootcamp but my friend said that boot camp and windows took over one of their friends whole system and just cut off all of the mac system.

Has anyone had that problem or WORSE.
Please tell me

Thanks

Nico

Likkie
20th September 2006, 10:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicopiconico@hotmail.com &#064; Sep 20 2006, 10&#58;09 PM) 216316</div>

Iam about to put Windows xp on my macbook with bootcamp but my friend said that boot camp and windows took over one of their friends whole system and just cut off all of the mac system.
[/b]

Took over the whole system??

Despite what many Mac users may think, Windows is just software and does not have a life of its own :)

If you read and follow the given instructions I think you&#39;ll probably be fine.

I have installed and re-installed Windows and other operating systems with Boot Camp many times now and I have not once seen any signs of anarchy. :)

Cheers,

Likkie

purana
20th September 2006, 10:29 PM
Of course Bootcamp is beta and well anything you want on OSX and cant live without should the install hose it, backup. That way if the install of bootcamp to put Windows on totals your OSX filesystem you wont cry.

Chances are it wont hurt a thing, but they do say use at own risk (and backup before you begin).

Quamen
20th September 2006, 10:31 PM
I think you&#39;ll be safe. I know I havn&#39;t had any problems with it, prefer to use parallels so that I can run both at once though.

I&#39;m guessing that your friend just didn&#39;t know how to switch between the two operating systems installed.

Exocet
20th September 2006, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicopiconico@hotmail.com &#064; Sep 20 2006, 10&#58;09 PM) 216316</div>

Has anyone had that problem or WORSE.
Please tell me
Thanks

Nico
[/b]
If they weren&#39;t using a WinXP CD with SP2 on it, it may not have recognised the partition that Boot Camp created, and as such they may have installed WinXP over their Mac partition. Happened to me, had to flatten and reinstalled OS X, and then find a WinXP CD with SP2. Then it worked fine. Make sure you print out the PDF from the bootcamp package, or have a laptop with the PDF open nearby.

designers_hub
20th September 2006, 10:39 PM
there has been reports of issue with the partitioning.

bootcamp is still in beta mode, so just back up your data, install and if something happens restore.

nicopiconico@hotmail.com
20th September 2006, 10:59 PM
OK,

Thanks ill make sure i back up my data.