PDA

View Full Version : The new sleeves from Bitolithic

insular
20th September 2006, 04:06 PM
Just got one of the new Bitolithic Macbook sleeves, the newly designed ones that are coming out real soon (available to select people that expressed interest early). Thought I'd be the first and do a quick review of it and answer any questions I can for people. Basically it's a similiar material to the STM gloves but more in the style of the Booq XS2 Vypers which I was looking at getting initially. In comparison I probably like the Booq's better as far as design goes, but they boast a higher price tag and apparently dont give any cushy comfort for the plastic Macbook finish. That, and they can't be used without taking them out of the case! I'd think that these new Bito sleeves are better in value and design than the STM gloves and definitely come with more accessories than any others I've seen on the market for the price tag.

The goods
- Can use it without taking it out of the sleeve
- Neoprene material gives it a nice cushy protection against bumps and scratches
- Can't get scratched by the zipper on the inside
- Nice snuggly fit, perfect size match
- Keyboard screen protector and pencil case for mouse and other accessories.
- Good value for $$$

The not so perfects
- Zipper is completely exposed, may wear out over time (but appears stronger than most zips)
- Logo advertising is a bit big, and could be made simpler and less distracting
- No handle to carry it around

Overall 9.4/10
I'm definitely happy with it and recommend to anyone looking for some on the road protection for their Macbook.

mac_man_luke
20th September 2006, 04:21 PM
how rubbery is the case? i had a look at the stm glove and it was way to light and firm - changed my mind straight away from that

insular
20th September 2006, 04:39 PM
It's more soft and cushy than rubbery. It's not overly thick but provides a decent amount of protection against slight bumps. It's sort of like a wetsuit but thinner I think (I'm not a surfie so I can't say exactly).

From memory, compared to the STM glove it's fairly similiar. Next time I'm in the city I'll have a look athe STM gloves and see if I can make a more descriptive comparison.

mac_man_luke
20th September 2006, 08:37 PM
cool thanks, the word im thinking of is prolly weight, the stm was really light and firm

Repulse
21st September 2006, 07:45 PM
Cheers for the review. I was deciding between this Bitolithic sleeve and an STM glove, and this seems to be the overall better choice. Have you tried the STM Rebound (http://www.stmbags.com.au/rebound)? From what I've seen it's basically the same as the Bitolithic, but there's no screen protector.

coming out real soon[/b]
How soon? :)

mac_man_luke
21st September 2006, 07:49 PM
the rebound is really firm and rough imo, you want something stretch and rubbery

cgollner
21st September 2006, 08:12 PM
I still like the Booq Vyper M2 for my 15" MBP. Its the next purchase I plan to make. Carry hand is definatley a must and better styling.

insular
21st September 2006, 10:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Repulse &#064; Sep 21 2006, 07&#58;15 PM) 216725</div>

Cheers for the review. I was deciding between this Bitolithic sleeve and an STM glove, and this seems to be the overall better choice. Have you tried the STM Rebound (http://www.stmbags.com.au/rebound)? From what I&#39;ve seen it&#39;s basically the same as the Bitolithic, but there&#39;s no screen protector.
How soon? :)
[/b]

http://www.bitolithic.com/bags/blog.htm

This is the only one I&#39;ve tried, but I think from seeing the STM rebound in the shop it didn&#39;t really appeal to be for some reason. I think it didn&#39;t have enough padding for my tastes. But now that I&#39;ve got the Bito, it&#39;s not a great deal more but still ample.

Yeah the Booq&#39;s look nice, and the carry handle is a bonus but someone mentioned you can&#39;t use it in the case so that&#39;s definitely a bummer to me so I changed my mind.