PDA

View Full Version : Leopard = death of Aqua?

stefanlod
18th September 2006, 10:05 PM
The introduction of iTunes had a completely different UI than the rest of Mac OS 9. However, as OS X was introduced, its style became the defacto UI for OS X. When iTunes 5 was released, it was without brushed metal. iLife came out the year after without any brushed metal.

iTunes 7 has no elements of the original aqua left in its main window. Instead it opts for a more plastic-like look. Even the iPods are no longer photorealistic.

Even though iTunes is a "brushed" app, trends in Mail, System Preferences, etc. show that the UI appears to be converging together to be consistent.

Is this a sign for what OS X might look like after Jobs unveils the true UI of Leopard? Will OS X not be "lickable" anymore? Just my thoughts. What are yours?

p53
18th September 2006, 10:13 PM
i have my reservations about the new look of iTunes 7, but I suppose it will grow on me. all new things take getting used to i suppose. like when my dad made a half-arsed attempt at painting our house, i was mortified when i first saw it, but now i'm so used to it i don't notice it anymore.
(you know i am a little embarassed to say that it took me over 6 months to work out what the hell a brushed app is!)

visional_studios
18th September 2006, 10:15 PM
I'm done with the brushed metal look, bring on something new, I actually like the look of Vistas UI.

Nevets_Anderson
18th September 2006, 10:24 PM
It's interesting in that there are elements of the hardware ui reflected in mac os X software ui ...

The interesting thing is where will it go?

Think about the black macbook and the black album browser of itunes 7, are we in for more shinny black? the brushed metal - how much longer will this last?

and you can see some times in the different pages on the apple web site elements of ui past and to come

I find it a continual tease - but that's all part of it - the 3 d side of things, incorporated in the typical apple subtle manner is going to be something to watch.

It's never boring I think that's why after all these years I'm still a mac user...

bartron
18th September 2006, 10:32 PM
meh...it's all just pixels. As long as the computer still does what I want it to do.

I actually prefer the itunes 7 look to the aqua look....the blue(gray) bubble buttons are only cute for so long. There comes a time when you have to change the ui.

Bartron

thorevenge
18th September 2006, 10:42 PM
I prefer the iTunes 7 look.

It's sleek, dark and mature.

Nuff said

marc
18th September 2006, 11:50 PM
I'm not a fan of several elements in iTunes 7.

- The scroll bars look really oversimplified and a bit childish. Not really refined or crafted well.
- The control buttons at the base of the main window lack contrast from the background and look really amateur.
- The black selection indicator on the source list... is black and fuzzy and unlike anything else used anywhere in OS X or even in iTunes. A big WTF??!?! for that one. It doesn't fit in with the old or the new, or look any good.
- I don't mind if things lose some reflections, however, the new icon and iTunes store are shinier than ever... what gives?
- The gratuitous use of caps is just plain ugly.

But:
- Coverflow and the new black UI elements are great. Very cool and similar to those found in the Finder's slideshow and full screen QuickTime view. I love them.
- The view switching buttons are really nice, clean, and well designed. Typical Apple there.

I really love the photorealism of OS X and its UI elements. I'll miss them if they go (and aren't replaced by something better). All in all I think OS X has always moved in a positive direction so I have faith, but I'm holding judgement until I see what's in store.

One thing I'd really love to see in the 10.5 UI is CONSISTENCY! Enough with the changing styles every 5 mins and with every app. Decide on 2 or three main styles that work together and carefully integrate them into every aspect of the OS and it's core apps. Don't have different click-though behaviour. Make smart copy and paste (http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/smart_cut_copy_paste) a global option, or remove it, or make it more obvious when/how/where it should and can be used.

iDaife
19th September 2006, 12:04 AM
Speaking of the iTunes dock icon, it seems to be of a lower quality than other Mac icons such as iDvd and iMovie HD. Is it just me?!

hawker
19th September 2006, 07:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDaife &#064; Sep 18 2006, 11&#58;34 PM) 215545</div>

Speaking of the iTunes dock icon, it seems to be of a lower quality than other Mac icons such as iDvd and iMovie HD. Is it just me?&#33;
[/b]

The new dock icon for iTunes 7 looks like a six year old coloured it in... Didn&#39;t they already use blue anyway? Way back in like iTunes 1 or 2?

Goodbye
19th September 2006, 08:20 AM
I think blue looks a hell of a lot better than the god-awful green they used to use.

Gerbils
19th September 2006, 08:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goodbye &#064; Sep 19 2006, 08&#58;20 AM) 215569</div>

I think blue looks a hell of a lot better than the god-awful green they used to use.
[/b]

Agree totally.. the dock icon looks much better than before.

Silver
19th September 2006, 08:56 AM
I also have various points about iTunes 7 that I like and dislike. My particular pet peeve is that it doesn&#39;t comply with system level settings, like double scroll arrows at both ends, or the highlight colour in the source list. I&#39;m also a fan of UI consistency across apps, but I don&#39;t mind a change as long as its an improvement.

ford.boy
19th September 2006, 08:57 AM
They dock icon looks like it&#39;s from Jaguar.

And has anyone notice when they search, the bar across the top of the window no long pops up allowing you to select the album, or song title &#39;mode&#39;? I&#39;m pissed at apple for taking something out one release after it was implemented..

warren21
19th September 2006, 09:14 AM
I love the new iTunes look. I don&#39;t see any problem with it. That&#39;s just my 2c worth.

pipsqeek
19th September 2006, 09:16 AM
I thought it was a refreshing change.

pipsqeek

gizo
19th September 2006, 10:02 AM
Well, it could always be worse. Apple could have been taken over by h4xx0rs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobian/246692018)
(via JeffCroft.com)

bartron
19th September 2006, 09:27 PM
Well...if you don&#39;t like the new look....behold&#33;&#33;&#33; (http://www.thrica.com/software/aguat/)

Bartron

iDaife
19th September 2006, 09:51 PM
noob question- what exactly is &#39;aqua&#39;? Is it the style of how the windows look (the brushed metal, colored minimize, expand and exit buttons etc)?

marc
19th September 2006, 11:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDaife &#064; Sep 19 2006, 09&#58;51 PM) 215802</div>

noob question- what exactly is &#39;aqua&#39;? Is it the style of how the windows look (the brushed metal, colored minimize, expand and exit buttons etc)?
[/b]
Yes, but think OS X 10.0 watery buttons and windows, not so much brushed metal etc.

stevekicks
20th September 2006, 12:20 AM
is there a video of steve jobs saying that the interface is lickable?

i&#39;ve read/heard of people saying it but never seen it. can anyone supply a link??

cheers

oh yeah.. itunes 7 is the bomb

Tiger
22nd September 2006, 12:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(warren21 &#064; Sep 19 2006, 09&#58;14 AM) 215582</div>

I love the new iTunes look. I don&#39;t see any problem with it. That&#39;s just my 2c worth.
[/b]

I was starting to wonder I was one of the few that actually like it. I could quite happily enjoy this look through OS X.

WonderBoy
22nd September 2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stevekicks &#064; Sep 20 2006, 12&#58;20 AM) 215855</div>

is there a video of steve jobs saying that the interface is lickable?

i&#39;ve read/heard of people saying it but never seen it. can anyone supply a link??

cheers

oh yeah.. itunes 7 is the bomb
[/b]

I have it. But it&#39;s on a CD ROM.

helloroto
22nd September 2006, 03:06 PM
Did anyone else notice the shortcut for the Equalizer has been taken out, and is only accessible by one of the menus.

Shortcut used to be :cmd: + 2

MadMuggle
29th September 2006, 02:34 AM
I don&#39;t mind the new iTunes look. I like the blue, especially the dark blue when you highlight a playlist.

I don&#39;t understand where all these caps supposedly are...

I *HATE* the icon though, I changed it the second I got it. Blergh. I have a simple black one, more like a black version of the version 6 green icon. I don&#39;t mind blue but the crazy colours are just ugly. It&#39;s weird, normally Apple can do no wrong in my eyes (design wise at least) but that was pretty much the worst I&#39;ve seen from them in a long time.

The Fluffy Duck
29th September 2006, 02:48 AM
it would be nice if apple gave people the option of Aqua, brushed metal or flat metal. rather than this seasonal change

MadMuggle
29th September 2006, 02:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Fluffy Duck &#064; Sep 29 2006, 02&#58;48 AM) 219164</div>

it would be nice if apple gave people the option of Aqua, brushed metal or flat metal. rather than this seasonal change
[/b]
I agree. A few options never hurt anybody. Then we&#39;d all win.

I can&#39;t see any difference in the "preview" on the apple site though... Do they not show us what it will actually look like? (as in, do they only show us new features, not new "looks"? I&#39;ve only been using Macs for 2 years so I&#39;m kinda new to this).