PDA

View Full Version : So ... who has a truck in Adelaide?

Byrd
28th November 2004, 11:34 AM
Just trawling eBay and came across this one (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4607&item=5142338876&rd=1), dozens after dozens of 68K, PPC and G3 iMacs.

So wish I lived in Adelaide right now :)

If anyone wins the bidding on this auction, I'd take a Bondi iMac of their hands immediately!

JB

Phillip
28th November 2004, 11:56 AM
WOW. I guess someone will buy it and do them up and sell them and get a profit.

mjankor
28th November 2004, 11:56 AM
I've asked if they're prepared to split them and I'll buy 2 - 3 iMacs @ $10 each

tempestas
28th November 2004, 11:57 AM
Perhaps our Adelaide members could join forces for the job lot & resell to the rest of us :P

mjankor
28th November 2004, 12:05 PM
Well if someone in Adelaide has room for them all and is prepared to organize it I'll help.

funkmaster_dan
28th November 2004, 12:13 PM
My dad happens to have a longreach ute which I'd be able to use, it would fit alot of that stuff in the back.

I'd be happy to go and help pick up the stuff for whoever wants it as long as I can get my hands on one of those iMacs for a few bucks.

PyroVesten
28th November 2004, 12:52 PM
Dude, score! Chances are this is gonna go cheap too because the bidders are limited to eBay-using Adelaide residents with a way of transporting the lot..

mjankor
28th November 2004, 01:19 PM
Read this.

I am very interested. Can you email me the details for the 233s and the 333's before you post them on eBay and a price you're after.

thanks

Martin

On 28/11/2004, at 1:14 PM, wapples@iprimus.com.au wrote:

Sorry IAM Not seperating that AUCTION But on TUESDAY Iam picking up some
20 more 233 IMACS so If you just send me an E-mail on WED then perhaps I
can have some set aside for you but you will need to pick them up. I will
hopefully have a few more imac 333 in complete workinng order going on e-bay
in next week

Disko
28th November 2004, 01:20 PM
Can we combine all the parts to build a Mecha?

mjankor
28th November 2004, 01:25 PM
Would that be an iRobot?

Goodbye
28th November 2004, 01:49 PM
iMacquariums! :D

titan44
28th November 2004, 03:47 PM
Group buy! i've got a van

Byrd
28th November 2004, 04:27 PM
If we could get him to take up an offer of his iMac 233's he hasn't put up for sale there, we could get some cheap machines up and running for poor Appletalk users :D

JB

funkmaster_dan
28th November 2004, 04:49 PM
I noticed in the description that the cd lasers from all the iMacs had been removed, presumably so the school kids couldn't load stuff onto them. Is it hard to replace the cd drive in these iMacs?

Byrd
28th November 2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by funkmaster_dan@Nov 28 2004, 04:49 PM
Is it hard to replace the cd drive in these iMacs?
Unless the seller has them lying around perhaps, although they're sensitive and probably fiddly to replace unless you take the iMac apart to get to the drive.

You'd be best off looking for a replacement drive, any generic notebook CD drive would probably work, if it takes a standard "mini-IDE" (yes I just made that up) cable.

Otherwise, it supports netboot and getting OS X onto such a machine shouldn't be that hard.

JB

snax
28th November 2004, 06:55 PM
And, it is not possible to boot from the USB in those machines (external drive, etc).

Phillip
28th November 2004, 11:26 PM
I would love an iMac :)

Mark T
1st December 2004, 09:20 AM
I don't want to start a bidding war with anyone who has already contributed to this thread, but I am prepared to bid on this lot if noone else in this thread is going to (and noone has yet indicated that they are).

going once... going twice... for the third and final time...

Regards,

Mark

LCGuy
1st December 2004, 09:30 AM
Yep, bYrd was right, you can put a standard PC laptop CD/DVD drive into an iMac. A few times i've had a Combo drive from a Toshiba Tecra S1 in my iMac, and it worked fine. You just need to remove the interface board from the back of the iMac CD drive and install it on the PC drive. Anyway, i wish i was local....i have access to a Holden one tonner which could be used to move all this stuff, but i'm in QLD. :(

Mark T
1st December 2004, 02:11 PM
Well, I put in a couple of bids (last one $517) but someone else thought that these machines were worth even more.

Not sure that the Bondi iMacs with no working CD drive are worth more than $50 each though.

BTW: If I was selling 9 iMacs (along with other miscellaneous working/non-working items) on eBay and found one of the iMacs to be damaged, I'm sure I wouldn't pull it from the lot. Seems to me that the one taken out of the auction was possibly the best of the 9, not the worst.

Regards

Mark

purana
1st December 2004, 03:02 PM
Mark,

I'd have to agree with you. This auction would be a gamble..

funkmaster_dan
1st December 2004, 05:10 PM
Did anyone email him today about the other 20 iMacs he was supposed to get in yesterday?

saggsy
1st December 2004, 07:58 PM
what school is he at?

mjankor
4th December 2004, 09:48 AM
New email

OK I have two Blueberry IMACS at 333Mhz G3 CPU's 160MB RAM 6GB HDD All
existing software KEYBOARD and Mouse in great condition hoping to fetch $160
EACH or $300 for the both. They both have working CD-ROM drives Ethernet
Onboard Sound and Modem and usb 1.0 equipped I also Have some 233's BUT
Wont know Until Later on in the week the exact condition of them. I just
picked 16 of them up yesterday but have not had five seconds to actually
assess them.

Update time

tranp
4th December 2004, 11:32 AM
Just skimmed through this thread but did one of you guys win the auction? if so, i'd really love to buy an imac (or two) off of you. :o