PDA

View Full Version : Understanding OS X Server

morgs
17th September 2006, 06:12 PM
Hello,

Trying to get a handle on whether we need to purchase and use OSX Server or if OSX itself can continue to serve our needs.

We are not serving to the internet. The service needs are internal.

Currently the need is simply to access files. One Mac Mini with 2 firewire drives, is set up. This has been working fine, but no more than 10 users can connect to the server at once. Maybe someone knows a way around this???

Upcoming needs:
1. Same file serving, but with access for more than 10 users at a time. Back up plan?
2. Centralised contacts database:
- As far as I can tell, the way to achieve this is to have the servers Address Book app set up to share and allow editing? But it would seem that with this option everyone wishing to subscribe to the database would need to have a .Mac account. Not a preferred option, but I have been unable to come up with any alternative. Very open to suggestion.

Do we need OSX Server or will OSX be enough?
Will either of them serve our needs?

Thanks
Morgs

mac_man_luke
17th September 2006, 06:17 PM
10 users is a limit of osx client

osx server unlimited will allow you to have more than 10 users connect at once

for the address book, i would setup LDAP on an osx server machine which can then be connected to and used as a centralised address book via address book.app and many other applications

of course this could all be setup for free using linux with the right skills

macmate
17th September 2006, 06:19 PM
you should be able to do what you wish with mac os x client.....

i recommend also looking at a program called sharepoint.

Ric

nard
17th September 2006, 07:51 PM
Unless your budget is extremely tight, I recommend using OS X Server. It's got all the ease of use we love about the Mac in a server context.

It's money well spent in a business.

morgs
17th September 2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone.

Tried googling the sharepoint thing. Couldn't work it out.

I think(as suggested) that OS X Server is the go. And fortunately we were fully willing to pay for it.

Not sure about this LPAD thing though. As I read it on the apple website, it seems that it is only used as a way to manage the users connected to the server? I have done some googling in an effort to understand how I would set this up and work with it.

I notice that the address book.app can be set to search an LDAP server, but does that mean you can add to/edit or delete entries in the directory? Does anyone know if there are groups that can be set up for the entries or is it just one big database?

thanks
Morgs

morgs
17th September 2006, 08:52 PM
I should have mentioned that we are actually using Entourage at the moment for contacts etc. The idea was to move everything to Mail.app AddressBook.app etc, but if there are no workable solutions for AddressBook sharing then maybe there are some solutions using entourage and maybe Exchange Server???

I do not understand exchange server. Would it run inside or beside OS X Server?

Thanks

mac_man_luke
17th September 2006, 08:54 PM
exchange server requires a windows 2k/2k3 server