PDA

View Full Version : MFC-640CW Bonjour Setup Issues

decryption
15th September 2006, 11:25 PM
I'm trying to setup a wireless printer via AirPort but it ain't going!
It's a Brother MFC-640CW. It's hooked up to the wireless network properly (I can ping it) and it can print fine via USB. However, setting it up to print wirelessly is being frustrating.

The documentation says (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/files/dlf/doc002019/BH3eWLAN_UkAsaEngNet_A.pdf) when you add the printer in the Print & Fax section of the System Preferences, the Rendezvous option will appear and to select it and the printer will automagically appear.

However, on 10.4, that menu choice has been done away with, and any Rendezvous/Bonjour printers are now automatically discovered in the Default Browser or appear the first time you go to print a document.

None of this is happening though! Nothing appears in the list. This seems to be the only way to add the printer, I can't find any manual network printing settings for it and the LPD and IP printing options don't seem to work with the printer.

Has anyone got any clues as to what could be the issue?

mac_man_luke
15th September 2006, 11:34 PM
if you go into airport utilitie does it show that the printer is plugged in

floyd
16th September 2006, 08:59 AM
Just a couple of things to try.

1. Make sure you don't have any firewall software running on the Mac, including the built in OS X one.

2. You need to turn the wireless option on of this MFC as it's off by default. Then you press Menu/Set 5, 3, 1 to search for the SSID of your wireless network. If you're hiding your SSID sometimes it helps to unhide it just while setting up the MFC.

3. Press menu/set 6, 6 on the printer to get a print out of the network settings page. Check that the IP and the gateway are correct. And that you are actually pinging the MFC.

4. You don't have MAC address filtering turned on your wireless access point?

5. Reset the wireless network card on the MFC and start again. Forgot what the menu option is for this.

But basically if it's not showing up in default browser it means that your mac can't see it for some reason. If you still have it installed as a USB printer maybe delete that from the printer list before trying to add it via Bonjour.

There is a driver update available for OS X 10.4 on solutions.brother.com but this wont help if the printer is not even showing up in the default browser.

Hope this helps.

decryption
16th September 2006, 10:23 AM
An excellent post Floyd - when I go over there again today, I will go through your tips (I did most of them, but let's try em again anyways :P) and hopefully it will automatically appear in the list :)

MacManLuke - the printer has it's own wireless card in it, so it's not going via an AirPort Extreme or Express, but talking to a Linksys WRT54G v5 instead.