PDA

View Full Version : ibook latch no longer catching

timbobsteve
13th September 2006, 08:21 AM
Hey All,

I have an ibook G3 12" and recently when I close the lid, the magnetic latch no longer catches on to the base. I can confirm that the latch is being magnetised towards the base and it does connect, its just not that strong and the lid easily breaks free again. I did replace the HDD recently, but the latch was working after reassembly (for about a week).

Is there any common cause as to why this occurs, and possibly a way to fix it without a high $ price-tag?

Thanks.

Timbobsteve

Byrd
13th September 2006, 08:53 AM
Did the same thing when I took apart my iBook G3 for a HD upgrade.

I reckon you'll have to open it back up again and take a look at the latch mechanish on the top case (palmrest). If you look inside where the latch goes do you see any hook on the left side? This is where the latch catches when closed. If it isnt there, then you know where to start :)

JB

timbobsteve
13th September 2006, 09:10 AM
I have just taken a look and it seems that the latch (the top part) is further forward than the catching mechanism and possibly a little too far to the left.

BTW, did you get yours working again?

timbobsteve
13th September 2006, 09:47 AM
Ah-HA!!! Got it.

It turns out that the catching mechanism is working fine, it is the little swing-down latch that is the problem. When it extends it is too far forward and it is not catching properly. Unfortunately the only temp. way I could think to fix it was to stick a piece of paper inbetween it and the case to make sure that it is in the correct place to catch on when the lid is closed. Now the swing-latch is permanently extended. Thats OK though at least my battery wills top dying from lid-not-closing problems.

Thanks for the info.

NOTE: I realised what the problem was about 2/3rds the way through removing the bottom case.... I hate the ibook internals... it is so delicated and scary... always think I am going to break something.

patcanuck
13th September 2006, 05:52 PM
We had an iBook that did the same thing. Fortunately for us it somehow returned to working just fine. I "think" I did some research and someone suggested slightly bending that latch you were talking about.................better you than me :)

timbobsteve
14th September 2006, 08:47 AM
ooohhh... that does sound like it would fix it, but if I do it wron then it will probably never work. I will try the make-shift raiser that I have at the moment and if I get too sick of it I will try that instead.