PDA

View Full Version : Apple isolated the cause of the random macbook shutdown?

ilostmypassword
6th September 2006, 08:55 PM
Has Apple isolated the cause of the random macbook shutdown? I thought that i'd share :D

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/09/...s_isolated.html (http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/09/macbook_random_shutdown_syndrome_rss_isolated.html )

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/09/05/ran...book.shutdowns/ (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/09/05/random.macbook.shutdowns/)[/url]

(sorry mod if this has been posted)

choy
30th September 2006, 03:26 AM
Everyone sould make a note of this. This was posted at macfixit
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060929091210522

reproduced here because macfixit will only allow the post to be viewed on the day they post it - after that only paid subscribers can see the information, and I think this post is *very important* for all macbook owners who bought within the first 3 months.

Apparently the shutdown issue is completely isolated to a heatsink on the motherboard and a new heatsink is required. All macbooks made within the first 3 months of release are affected(!!?) and a test is suggested below to test your macbook to see if it is affected. It is now a known macbook issue and should be repaired no questions asked by your apple repairer.

Friday, September 29 2006 @ 09:00 AM PDT
Apple service document discusses MacBook sudden shutdowns

We've extensively covered an issue where MacBooks suddenly shutdown (see this article for a full recap) under varying circumstances. Apple acknowledged the issue in a Knowledge Base document earlier this month.

We've now obtained a service document revealing the instructions authorized repair service centers are receiving regarding the issue, and stating that only the heatsink needs to be replaced on afflicted models.

Unfortunately, these data suggest all early-run MacBooks are affected by this issue, as they all used the same heatsink design. Apple has corrected the issue in models currently leaving the factory, but that does not ensure that a new MacBook you purchase from a retailer (or directly from Apple) will not exhibit the problem.

You may want to use a utility like coconutIdentityCard to determine when your MacBook was built. The MacBook was introduced on May 16, 2006 -- so if your build-date is within the first two or three months of production runs, try causing the MacBook to shutdown via the following process.

1. Open the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities)
2. Type the following command: yes >/dev/null &
3. press return
4. type the command again: yes >/dev/null &
5. and press return

Wait up to 15 minutes and wait for shutdown to occur. If one occurs, call AppleCare for service.

The Apple service document states:

"For MacBooks exhibiting intermittent shutdown, previously released documentation directed Apple service providers to replace the main logic board (MLB) and heatsink. After further investigation, Apple has determined that only the heatsink needs to be replaced in MacBooks exhibiting intermittent shutdown.

"To support service providers in updating repairs affected by the revised part instructions, and effective immediately, Apple will review and update (as necessary) all repairs in which a MacBook logic board/heatsink combo part is on backorder. See complete details about order review below.

"Apple will only be reviewing and updating (as necessary) those MacBook repairs placed prior to the publication of this message. As a reminder for all future repairs, it is critical that notes clearly describing a product's issue(s) be entered into the GSX 'Notes' field for every repair.

"The new heatsink part is now available for order in GSX and should ship later this week: 076-1243 Heatsink Kit, with Sponge, 1.0 mm Conn The MacBook (13-inch) Service Manual has been updated with this information and is available via links on AppleCare Service Source."

dagaz
30th September 2006, 08:50 AM
My MacBook is suffering from the Random Shutdowns. I called AppleCare on Monday two weeks ago (I bought it online) and they instructed me to get in contact with my local Apple Certified technician (in Wagga Wagga) and to instruct them that I need my logic board replaced. Thing is there is a backlog on the logic boards and no-one can tell me when one will be available. I might try getting in contact with them again and see if they just want to do the heat sink.

c3017474
30th September 2006, 09:57 AM
My MacBook has just started suffering these random shut downs. I purchased my online the night they were announced and the shutdowns have only started this week - very odd. Looks like a trip to Mac1 here in Newcastle.

krazy1
2nd October 2006, 12:29 AM
All Apple service centres should be aware by now of the issue and fix for it.

Its ONLY the heatsink, till now they have been replacing the board too but hasnt been required, last I heard, they only need to replace the heatsink for you.

chuck
5th October 2006, 05:31 PM
My Macbook has been in having this fixed since August 28... so it's six weeks now. Having waited this long I just don't want it back anymore. In the words of Ron Burgundy, `Macbook was a bad choice!'.

Jaffa
6th October 2006, 10:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck &#064; Oct 5 2006, 05&#58;31 PM) 221410</div>

My Macbook has been in having this fixed since August 28... so it&#39;s six weeks now. Having waited this long I just don&#39;t want it back anymore. In the words of Ron Burgundy, &#96;Macbook was a bad choice&#33;&#39;.
[/b]

I&#39;m working at an AppleCentre at the moment and we&#39;ve been waiting for parts from Apple for ages as well.

ClockWork
6th October 2006, 10:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jaffa &#064; Oct 6 2006, 10&#58;38 AM) 221678</div>

I&#39;m working at an AppleCentre at the moment and we&#39;ve been waiting for parts from Apple for ages as well.
[/b]

You&#39;re - what - around 14 years old - maybe 15 - and you&#39;re working in an Apple Centre ?

PS: tell your bro I have a ton of Hockey Pucks :P

jerrah
6th October 2006, 11:11 AM
What is different with the new heatsink design?

iDaife
6th October 2006, 12:27 PM
My MacBook was built within the first month of production, but I haven&#39;t been experiencing random shutdowns. Should I take it to get repaired anyway?

Jaffa
6th October 2006, 01:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Oct 6 2006, 10&#58;55 AM) 221683</div>

You&#39;re - what - around 14 years old - maybe 15 - and you&#39;re working in an Apple Centre ?
[/b]

I&#39;m 16 mate. My brother is the one thats 13.

Jimbo
6th October 2006, 01:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jerrah &#064; Oct 6 2006, 11&#58;11 AM) 221693</div>

What is different with the new heatsink design?
[/b]

There is a connector with some wire passing through the heatsink, this wire over time gets very hot and the platic insulation shrinks exposing the wires, which then after a little while short against the heatsink. Or so i&#39;m led to believe.

Jaffa
6th October 2006, 01:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Oct 6 2006, 10&#58;55 AM) 221683</div>

PS: tell your bro I have a ton of Hockey Pucks :P
[/b]

I don&#39;t mean to be rude, but you can tell him yourself if you want, I&#39;m not a messenger boy :P

Jaffa
16th October 2006, 09:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDaife &#064; Oct 6 2006, 12&#58;27 PM) 221742</div>

My MacBook was built within the first month of production, but I haven&#39;t been experiencing random shutdowns. Should I take it to get repaired anyway?
[/b]

Nope. They wont bother replacing anything unless you have this issue. Although if you get random shutdown, take it to an AppleCentre straight away.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jimbo &#064; Oct 6 2006, 01&#58;29 PM) 221775</div>

There is a connector with some wire passing through the heatsink, this wire over time gets very hot and the platic insulation shrinks exposing the wires, which then after a little while short against the heatsink. Or so i&#39;m led to believe.
[/b]

You are led to believe slightly wrong unfortunately. it&#39;s actually two wires, from the heat detectors, that pass between the heatsink and the fan and when the heatsink heats up the wires either short or disconnect (not sure which one) and the computer thinks somethings wrong and switches itself off automatically.

Jeff

P.S. Sorry to dig up an older thread :P

Devil rolla
31st March 2009, 05:27 AM
MBP shutdown 3 times this morning in the space of 40 minutes on battery power. Ran the terminal as mentioned above and I will be calling the mac service centre @ lunch. Bah humbug, first issue ive had in 3 years of ownership.

Devil rolla
31st March 2009, 05:48 AM
sorry, does the terminal activated crash apply to when the macbook is running off mains power also ?

ran the terminal that was suggested above and the mbp didnt crash within 30minutes, should i try a new battery first or just take in back to a mac service centre and get them to diagnose it ?

battery only has 376 cycles on it..

Suggestions please !

steve