PDA

View Full Version : My ibook wont eject the dvd

denwol
4th September 2006, 02:28 PM
I cant get the ibook to eject the dvd. It makes a noise but the disc does not come out. What can I do?

Dennis

Mutters
4th September 2006, 02:32 PM
Which iBook?

denwol
4th September 2006, 02:35 PM
the last one - 1.42 G4 with superdrive

tintinaujapon
4th September 2006, 02:39 PM
Restart, holding down the mouse button.

This trick has been mentioned on ATAU often and works a treat.

Byrd
4th September 2006, 02:47 PM
And additionally (this is a juggling act), while holding down mouse, lift your iBook and point it with the slot-loading drive towards the ground. Gravity should take effect here.

JB

denwol
4th September 2006, 02:53 PM
I tried the mouse key but I think it is a mechanical thing. Ill try holding the laptop towards the ground.

Thanks

tried holding it face down but that did not work either. May need to return for warranty unless someone else can come up with a suggestions.

Mutters
4th September 2006, 03:03 PM
Did the DVD actually play when inserted? The reason I ask is I had the same problem. It turned out to be a warped DVD ( El cheapo imitation bought in Bali ).
I was able to get it out using a similar method to what Byrd posted, except I helped guide it out with a thin blunt object - read knife.
Did your iBook have a few goes at ejecting the disc before giving up? If so, it's what I experienced.

mutters

p53
4th September 2006, 04:03 PM
did you try entering
drutil eject
into Apps>Utilities>Terminal?
although if it didn't work pressing mouse button while restarting i don't think this one will work either.

Silver
4th September 2006, 04:04 PM
Ah for the days when a paper clip could solve all your CD ejecting woes.

DJY
4th September 2006, 08:27 PM
After a restart does the disk mount (reappear on your desktop)?
If so can you then use the Eject key or drag it to the Trash?

I've only ever had a couple of discs that my PB ate... and after I'd tried to eject it - it unmounted but never came out. the restart + mouse button is a good one to try - but by rebooting sometimes it seems one of the other ways of ejecting occasionally works.

If its warped / stuck then you may have to get yourself to a reseller

peajay
5th September 2006, 12:07 AM
i've experienced similar issues, often solved by restarting the finder then ejecting again... try option+apple+escape and force quit / relaunch the finder. when the finder is back up try dragging the disk to the trash again. obviously this won't help move a damaged disk, but this has got me out of trouble everytime the eject function seems to hang.

p.