PDA

View Full Version : Freeware PDF Printers

Beast5500
4th September 2006, 10:35 AM
What does Mac OS X have in the range of freeware PDF Printers?

Sort of like Adobe Distiller and PDFCreator for Windows.

bartron
4th September 2006, 10:40 AM
You mean seperate to the built in print to PDF function? (on the print dialogue look on the bottom left)

Bartron

gilligan911
4th September 2006, 10:55 AM
This may be what you are after: PDF Lab. (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24482&vid=281317)

Wally
4th September 2006, 11:13 AM
Im with bartron, its natively supported like most things

I dont think many people know about print to PDF, its fairly hidden in some circumstances.

bartron
4th September 2006, 11:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wally4000 &#064; Sep 4 2006, 11&#58;13 AM) 210523</div>
Im with bartron, its natively supported like most things

I dont think many people know about print to PDF, its fairly hidden in some circumstances. [/b]

It is a bit isn&#39;t it....You would expect the button to be next to the print button or something, not in a dropdown on the other side of the dialogue.

In the windows world I use CutePDF which just looks like another printer to windows. Easy.

Anyone I&#39;ve shown OS X&#39;s pdf functionality to has goon "wow...coool" as if it&#39;s some amazing new feature Apple snuck in with no-one noticing.

Bartron

mwot
4th September 2006, 12:09 PM
I use the Print to PDF frequently. I wouldn&#39;t say it is hidden .. out of the way, maybe, but not hidden.

From memory, in the print dialogue, you&#39;ve got your PRINT button on the bottom right, and in the bottom left there is the SAVE TO PDF button. Clicking on this gives you a drop-down list with several options, the first one saving (printing) your doc to your desktop.

mctext
4th September 2006, 12:22 PM
Why was it not included in the "Save as" menu?

Mutters
4th September 2006, 12:34 PM
What about a freeware PostScript printer utility - I don&#39;t think so&#33;

mutters

gbuikstra
4th September 2006, 02:15 PM
Whilst talking about printing to PDF&#39;s I have an issue with printing an Excel document to PDF that someone might be able to help with.

The Excel document has multiple tabed pages of which the first 5 need to be printed. If you select all the tabs and print to a normal printer all is OK. But to print to a PDF only the first page is printed. It apears however that all pages are being printed in the progress bar.

The only way I can print as a PDF is to have 5 seperate documents, 1 for each page. Is there a way to make this print as 1 ducument with 5 pages?

thanks

froggy
4th September 2006, 02:38 PM
I&#39;m not sure if this is what you&#39;re after.

CocoaBooklet (http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/cocoabooklet/) creates PDF booklets from the Print dialogue box or by dropping a file onto the application.

Cheers,
Andrew

richbowen
4th September 2006, 02:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gbuikstra &#064; Sep 4 2006, 02&#58;15 PM) 210556</div>

The only way I can print as a PDF is to have 5 seperate documents, 1 for each page. Is there a way to make this print as 1 ducument with 5 pages?
[/b]

I have similar trouble saving as PDF in MS Word. If I have section breaks it prints each section as a separate document. I did once find a fix, but next time I needed it I couldn&#39;t find the workaround, so now I just use an automator workflow to combine each of the separate PDF&#39;s into one PDF document. Can be a pain with page numbering, but for short docs it works. I&#39;d be happy to send you the workflow if you thought it would help.