PDA

View Full Version : Question relating to MacBook Pro and future native screen resolutions



chrissara
2nd September 2006, 09:43 PM
Hi all. Haven't posted for a while (work commitments). Looks like I am going to get back into HD video editing again. At this stage it is a toss up between a Sony HC3 (currently out and selling for $2299 but streetprices about $300 cheaper) or waiting for Sony's new HDD based HD player expected out in October (prefered buy). These are 1080i based camcorders.

Anyway this leads to my question on the MacBook Pro. I have a high end Wintel laptop that does 1920x1200 (i.e. 1080p) native on its 17" screen. I am also fortunate that I own a 37" 1080P LCD TV screen.

Now I understand the MacBook Pro only has a native res of 1480x960 (or something similar). Whilst the onboard graphics chip can do 1920x1200 etc, its screen cannot. However I can hook up MacBook Pro to the LCD TV via DVI if required for editing.

The question essentially is this - I need the Mac software e.g Imovie etc for its HD video editing (actually its simplicity at HD video editing) hence the need for a Mac. The MacBook Pro currently seems the only Mac laptop that could comfortably handle HD video editing. I see howver there is a possibility of a newer Core 2 model coming.

What are the probabilities of a 1080i or 1080p LCD screen being used in newer MacBook Pros? Reason I ask is that if the Core 2 does come out but it is stifled to 1420x960 or 1680x1080 type res, then I am better just getting the current Core Duo version. Would prefer to edit straight to a laptop that another LCD screen.

dev_enter
2nd September 2006, 10:14 PM
The current 17" MacBook Pros do 1680x1050, so essentially right now, that's the highest res you can get.

I'm hoping for a bump in the resolutions when the new models are released, as I've noticed there are 15.4" PC notebooks which can do 1680x1050 and wouldn't mind having that for my new notebook. Or I might even be tempted to get a 17" model if they bump up to 1920x1200...

I suggest you wait until the Apple Expo on the 12th if you can afford to wait, it's highly likely (though not guaranteed) that an update will come then. Other than that, Apple doesn't really pre-announce anything, nobody can really give you a solid answer right now.

chrissara
3rd September 2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. This raises another question- am I better getting a MacBook instead of a Pro for HD video editing. I was lead to believe that provided I have sufficient ram, most of the editing etc is CPU intensive and not GPU intensive. Is this correct?