PDA

View Full Version : How to convert AVI to DVD?

ilostmypassword
2nd September 2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone know how to convert AVI's to DVD?

*mod maybe this should be in software?*

mvjs
2nd September 2006, 08:30 PM
One way at least, convert to .mov (if the avi can't be played in quicktime) import to iMovie and burn using iDVD

thorevenge
2nd September 2006, 08:38 PM
Toast 7 will do this and burn it to a DVD

ilostmypassword
2nd September 2006, 09:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thorevenge &#064; Sep 2 2006, 08&#58;38 PM) 210296</div>

Toast 7 will do this and burn it to a DVD
[/b]

Encoding in Toast 7 as we speak :D

Thanks.

patcanuck
2nd September 2006, 11:54 PM
At the risk of being brash: forget everything else and get VisualHub&#33; I have used Toast and occasionally you will find that a movie burns with great video and no sound (that is what led me to look for another way).
I cannot speak too highly of VisualHub. Not only will it convert and burn like Toast but also handle just about any type of file and convert Pal/Ntsc as well as convert for iPod use.
The real kicker that keeps me raving about this piece of software is the fact that you can burn several .avi movies onto ONE DVD and all are DVD movies&#33; I kid you not. At the moment I have five episodes of Weeds burnt as separate DVD movies on one DVD but even better I have just successfully burned five .avi movies onto one dvd disc and all show up as separate chapters on your stock standard dvd player. The guy who came up with the software makes the claim that you can get up to 18 hours of dvd viewing on one disk but I am more than satisfied with the 8+ hours I just did.
Try it: you&#39;ll like it :)

ilostmypassword
3rd September 2006, 05:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcanuck &#064; Sep 2 2006, 11&#58;54 PM) 210325</div>

At the risk of being brash: forget everything else and get VisualHub&#33; I have used Toast and occasionally you will find that a movie burns with great video and no sound (that is what led me to look for another way).
I cannot speak too highly of VisualHub. Not only will it convert and burn like Toast but also handle just about any type of file and convert Pal/Ntsc as well as convert for iPod use.
The real kicker that keeps me raving about this piece of software is the fact that you can burn several .avi movies onto ONE DVD and all are DVD movies&#33; I kid you not. At the moment I have five episodes of Weeds burnt as separate DVD movies on one DVD but even better I have just successfully burned five .avi movies onto one dvd disc and all show up as separate chapters on your stock standard dvd player. The guy who came up with the software makes the claim that you can get up to 18 hours of dvd viewing on one disk but I am more than satisfied with the 8+ hours I just did.
Try it: you&#39;ll like it :)
[/b]

Thanks for the detailed response&#33; I tried toast... and the first project had an excellent picture and NO SOUND&#33; So i&#39;m going to take you up on your advice and go check out visualHub. I&#39;ll post my results.

EDIT: OK results = AMAZING&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; What an excellent piece of software.

Man i love MACS. Thanks guys.

ilostmypassword
5th September 2006, 02:01 PM
bump

antechinus55
5th September 2006, 02:23 PM
iVCD, cheap, easy, great results.

sao

Bart Smastard
5th September 2006, 03:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcanuck &#064; Sep 2 2006, 11&#58;54 PM) 210325</div>

At the risk of being brash: forget everything else and get VisualHub&#33;
[/b]

I downloaded VisualHub last night, looks very promising - but requires a cash outlay to get full functionality (US&#036;20 something)

ilostmypassword
5th September 2006, 03:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bart Smastard &#064; Sep 5 2006, 03&#58;14 PM) 210931</div>

I downloaded VisualHub last night, looks very promising - but requires a cash outlay to get full functionality (US&#036;20 something)
[/b]

Yes. But what you get for next to nothing is outstanding. Simply the best &#036;20 i&#39;ve spent in a while.

Bart Smastard
5th September 2006, 03:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilostmypassword &#064; Sep 5 2006, 03&#58;16 PM) 210933</div>

Yes. But what you get for next to nothing is outstanding. Simply the best &#036;20 i&#39;ve spent in a while.
[/b]

Yep, sure is. I&#39;ll be buying it.
Just thought I&#39;d tell the kids that it&#39;s not freeware

ilostmypassword
5th September 2006, 05:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bart Smastard &#064; Sep 5 2006, 03&#58;20 PM) 210934</div>

Yep, sure is. I&#39;ll be buying it.
Just thought I&#39;d tell the kids that it&#39;s not freeware
[/b]

:thumbup:

g5agogo
5th September 2006, 06:19 PM
I guess we should say that it is really about &#036;30, given that this is AppleTalk AUSTRALIA. I&#39;ve been looking for reviews of visualhub for a few months, but there hasn&#39;t been much feedback to be found.

Patcanuk, mind if I ask how many hours of video you have managed to burn onto a DVD? There seems to be a few comments in the visualhub forum that suggest that more than 2 hours doesn&#39;t work. Has a fine pedigree since it comes from the excellent iSquint stable.

Cheers.

ilostmypassword
5th September 2006, 06:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g5agogo &#064; Sep 5 2006, 06&#58;19 PM) 210994</div>

I guess we should say that it is really about &#036;30, given that this is AppleTalk AUSTRALIA. I&#39;ve been looking for reviews of visualhub for a few months, but there hasn&#39;t been much feedback to be found.

Patcanuk, mind if I ask how many hours of video you have managed to burn onto a DVD? There seems to be a few comments in the visualhub forum that suggest that more than 2 hours doesn&#39;t work. Has a fine pedigree since it comes from the excellent iSquint stable.

Cheers.
[/b]

I&#39;ve just converted 3 AVI movies and "stitched them together" using visual hub. Then burnt them onto a single DVD disk.

And it&#39;s most definitely more than 2 hrs of footage :huh:

It works here.

floyd
5th September 2006, 06:37 PM
I&#39;d like to recommend ffmpegX. http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

As a side note, you might notice a few people using the rmvb format for a few tv shows lately and this was the only program i could find for the mac that will convert rmvb to avi. Although I must admit the new RM9 codec seems to produce some excellent results. Weeds is a funny show btw.

patcanuck
5th September 2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding: I was just up in Sydney for a couple days enjoying glorious sun and warmth along Darling Harbour.
At the moment I have managed to put FIVE full movies onto the one dvd disc&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; At about an hour and a half for each (but I know one of them is two hours long) that is just about eight hours of movie viewing. I found one trick was to convert each .avi file for "tv" and it produced an .mepg4 file that was about 60% of the original .avi file size. Then I dropped them all onto VisualHub and clicked "DVD" (it auto sets the quality) and "Burn"...........I also clicked on "quit VH when done".
Just one point I wanted to make to Ilostmypassword: you don&#39;t need to "stitch" them together to get them all on one disk. You only need do that when the movie happens to be in two or more files. If all you want to do is convert them to DVD and burn the results on the one disc then just drop them (in the order you want them played) and convert to DVD and burn.
I knew it was shareware (I don&#39;t think I ever suggested it was free) but can also suggest that there are ways and means if you are into that sort of thing.
patcanuck :)

antechinus55
5th September 2006, 09:04 PM
I have used ffmpegX. It&#39;s certainly comprehensive, but it requires quite a bit of study to get the most from it. You either have to understand all the various codexs or read the tutorials. While it will do almost anything video conversion wise its not an &#39;install and get immediate results&#39; type of program. While i image that iVCD is simply a neat wrapper around the same underlying *nix programs as ffmpegX, it is neater and much easier to use. But I think I will be spending another &#036;30 to check out VisualHub.

sao

g5agogo
7th September 2006, 12:33 PM
Antechinus,

I agree. ffmpegx is very comprehensive and works fine, once you&#39;ve configured everything correctly. My problem is that I only use it intermittently and find that each time I use it is a new adventure in selecting the best/most suitable options. It ends up costing me time in redoing things to get it "right". Maybe it&#39;s my aging synapses.

Thanks for your experiences ilostmypassword and Patcanuk. I think I&#39;ll give visualhub a whirl.

Bart Smastard
7th September 2006, 12:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g5agogo &#064; Sep 7 2006, 12&#58;33 PM) 211637</div>

Antechinus,

I agree. ffmpegx is very comprehensive and works fine, once you&#39;ve configured everything correctly. My problem is that I only use it intermittently and find that each time I use it is a new adventure in selecting the best/most suitable options. It ends up costing me time in redoing things to get it "right". Maybe it&#39;s my aging synapses.

Thanks for your experiences ilostmypassword and Patcanuk. I think I&#39;ll give visualhub a whirl.
[/b]

ffmpegX was the first DVD authoring thingy I tried, it was so overwhelmingly complicated I never got close to achieving what I wanted... which was just a bunch of avi&#39;s on a DVD that would work on my DVD player.

There&#39;s probably a good tute out there somewhere but I can&#39;t be arsed looking after having such a frustrating time with it.

antechinus55
7th September 2006, 01:33 PM
I am using iVCD as I noted in an earlier post, but I think visualhub has my money because of its capacity to use xgrid (it takes nearly a day to author a dvd on my g4 733 and about 6hrs on my g4 1.25 using iVCD so xgrid seems the way to go). Anyway I have been looking for an excuse to use it, so thats my justification.

sao

Wally
7th September 2006, 01:44 PM
i Use iMovie to convert Avis.

Except some of them have turned out shocking..

martinX
7th September 2006, 01:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(floyd &#064; Sep 5 2006, 06&#58;37 PM) 210998</div>

As a side note, you might notice a few people using the rmvb format for a few tv shows lately[/b]

Do some people have this compulsion where they simply have to use obscure codecs? Gakk, the innanet is littered with videos made with hard to use codecs.

MPEG1, 2 and 4. That&#39;s all you need in life.

Bachman
7th September 2006, 02:30 PM
I use Cleaner which does a nice job but is a rather expensive solution.

PS AVI is not an obsure codec

Silver
7th September 2006, 02:36 PM
I didn&#39;t think it was even a codec, but more a wrapper, much like quicktime &#39;.mov&#39; files are.

patcanuck
7th September 2006, 07:22 PM
I feel compelled to reveal this because it was "forcefully" pointed out to me on another mac site when I was waxing lyrical about VisualHub and how I had moved to it from ffmpegx. Apparently VisualHub is simply a visual "wrapper" and has ffmpegx at its core. Bugger me dead. I had no idea&#33; But in the long run I don&#39;t care because it is a LOT easier to use and because I can still brag about putting five movies onto one DVD disk as dvd movies. Maybe I am easily impressed :)

Bart Smastard
7th September 2006, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcanuck &#064; Sep 7 2006, 07&#58;22 PM) 211764</div>

I feel compelled to reveal this because it was "forcefully" pointed out to me on another mac site when I was waxing lyrical about VisualHub and how I had moved to it from ffmpegx. Apparently VisualHub is simply a visual "wrapper" and has ffmpegx at its core. Bugger me dead. I had no idea&#33; But in the long run I don&#39;t care because it is a LOT easier to use and because I can still brag about putting five movies onto one DVD disk as dvd movies. Maybe I am easily impressed :)
[/b]

Oh no&#33; Next they&#39;ll be telling us that OS X is just unix with a visual wrapper :P

g5agogo
7th September 2006, 11:34 PM
patcanuk,

there&#39;s no secret about visualhub using ffmpegx, it&#39;s quite clear from the docs and from the website and faq and fora, where it mentions that some problems have cropped up from time to time because of problems introduced in newer versions of ffmpegx. So, I wouldn&#39;t worry about misleading people on this. Bart Smastard is exactly right (as a unix superuser with 20+ years experience that made me laugh aloud)&#33; It&#39;s the ability to get things done rather than wrestling with the technology that makes software.