PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Upgrade from Combo to Super

tigerlily
2nd September 2006, 01:15 PM
I was thinking about asking Apple to upgrade my MacBook from combo or super when it goes in to be repaired after suffering from the sudden shutdowns. I was wondering if someone with a superdrive macbook could tell me the details of the Matshita superdrive that is installed so I can start searching for a replacement. I've got a feeling that I could probably get one cheaper myself than paying for one from Apple. I'm not sure. I didn't get the superdrive model because someone told me that it would be cheaper to do it this way, and it's the perfect time to do it seen as they will already have it open to repair the logic board.

If anyone can help or even advise me whether this is a bad idea I would really appreciate it.

decryption
2nd September 2006, 01:43 PM
For starters, it's going to be hard to find a replacement drive that fits the spec of the MacBook. Apple uses the latest model to get it in a case so slim, and they haven't filtered through to the 3rd party market yet. If they come available, you're looking at ~$400 anyways. Plus the labor charges to fit a SuperDrive wouldn't be cheap either, they won't charge you less because "it's already open".

mac_man_luke
2nd September 2006, 01:49 PM
once the logic board is replaced sell it and buy a superdrive model

tigerlily
2nd September 2006, 02:49 PM
I was thinking about doing that mac_man_luke, but I would feel dishonest just passing on a problem machine to someone else. Maybe I'm too honest, who knows. Getting the superdrive installed was a thought I had that I thought might make sense if I got it done while it was in to be repaired. If I can't get it done or if it's too expense then I guess I can always just get an external dvd burner, although it does kinda defy the purpose of getting a notebook. Hopefully I'll be able to get together enough soon to buy a 30" iMac. I'll just get a superdrive then. I wish I had thought to ask someones opinion on here about the combo/superdrive before getting my MB.

mac_man_luke
2nd September 2006, 03:02 PM
Your not being dishonnest passing the machine on after its been repaired, 99% of the time after a logic board replacement the machine wont have troubles again

nath
2nd September 2006, 03:10 PM
Have you thought about an external firewire drive ?

tigerlily
2nd September 2006, 03:42 PM
What is an external firewire drive? I'm still kinda new. I have a wireless network at my place, can I plug an external dvd-rw into the router and do it that way without having to have the drive plugged into the macbook?

newusr
6th September 2006, 09:31 PM
An external firewire drive, is a drive that plugs into a firewire port on your computer. It cannot be plugged into a router; none has a firewire port anyway. Just do a 'Google' search for 'external firewire drives', which provides models and specifications on the results listed.