View Full Version : I placed an order at nextbyte

ford.boy
23rd November 2004, 04:32 PM
First I'll give the specs:

12" iBook
1.2 Ghz
768 RAM
60GB hdd

So it was most definitely BTO. The order, according the Nextbyte, was placed on Friday the 29th of october with apple. I went to the store the next couple of days to pick it up, they obviously didn't have it {hey, gimme a break, this is my first Apple}). The politely told me told me to expect it within the next ten days, and let me fool around wih one of the new G5 iMacs. Great I thought, I can live with that!
So I sat back contented, for 11 days. :rolleyes: They didn't call :angry: So I called them. They said they are delays at Apple, and it should be here within a week. OK I thought, hopeful. About a week later, I got a call asking for student ID (for the discount;)). They said now that Apple has asked for that and fowarded the paperwork (or something like that) I should have it before the end of last week. I called to following monday to see if there was *any* news. Not there, still not there, but apparently nextbyte took a back order of stock in the last couple of days, and my book could be in there. The guy I talked to was extremely friendly and remebered me from a couple of weeks ago and would try and chase up my order through the stock, because i'd been waiting "and awful while". He said he'd call today. :( No call.

Just wondering, is this typical? I mean, I want my ibook, and I want to let nextbyte do their job (I work in retail, I know how crappy some customers are) and don't want to badger them. And I will need this computer sooner than later, because my dell is dying fast.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the whinge,
Tim.

Disko
23rd November 2004, 04:44 PM
There has been a shortage of iBooks of late in Australia. I dare say that'd be the main reason for the delay.
All you can do is politely check in with Next byte every few days...

Sucks, doesn't it. :/

mjankor
23rd November 2004, 04:50 PM
Hehe

Ask Macmedia what it was like when I ordered my Dual 2.0 G5 with ACD20". It was a rev A, one of the first in South Australia. I was expecting it to be delayed, which it was, but I reckon I still rang Macmedia every few days to ask.

I don't think they were impressed. God it felt good when it arrived though. There's nothing like the feeling of opening up a new Macintosh box.

ford.boy
23rd November 2004, 04:57 PM
Oh it's hell!

It's my first mac. :( *cries into he wintel* and I can't have it!

Oh well. Good thing come to those who wait. I suppose. Does anyone have any estimated time for a bto iBook?

Disko
23rd November 2004, 05:00 PM
I'd be expecting it very soon, ford.boy. 4 weeks is a long time in Apple land.

bassmanbliss
23rd November 2004, 05:02 PM
I must have been lucky then cause I ordered a 14' iBook for a family member on the 12th of November and received it on the 17th and this was through a reseller in brisbane, he also showed me an apple inventory list in the store and he said there were plenty of 12' and 14' iBooks in the country. Guess it must just depend on what reseller you see.

mjankor
23rd November 2004, 05:02 PM
I've always bought my iBooks from which ever store had them in stock so I can't help I'm afraid.

But have fun with your iBook when you get it and if you need any advice just ask. We try to be helpful. :)

sillydog701
23rd November 2004, 05:09 PM
When I ordered my PowerBook 12" rev C with CTO (the next morning when it was released) I did not even bother to ask when I will receive. They told me they would give me a call.
It ended up that the PowerBook was arrived earlier than I'd expected.

Just wait. They will call you.

thomas
23rd November 2004, 05:41 PM
Resellers always seem to get jipped - if you need something sooner rather than later, i'm sorry to say, its quicker to order directly from Apple.

kit
23rd November 2004, 06:33 PM
Mine's a PowerBook, ordered through Computers Now!, and it took a week from order to my house.

Jimbo
23rd November 2004, 06:56 PM
ibook g4 ordered on apple.com.au bto, with more ram bigger hdd etc, arrived a week later, and they still haven't charged me?

Atomac
23rd November 2004, 07:34 PM
I used to work for Next Byte and I can tell you that most of the people who work there are trying really hard to keep you happy. I used to feel awful when I customer had a computer on order, waiting for it to ship from Apple and it wouldn't come in.

The reseller really is the meat in the sandwich. They can only tell you what Apple tell them and it is hardly ever accurate. They want to make money and have your repeat business and so they understand it is in their interests to keep you happy.

Just sit tight, you'll get it as soon as Apple ship it. We ofter heard rumours that Apple were allocated stock when we couldn't get it, I don't believe this was true, but it often felt like it.

Currawong
23rd November 2004, 08:02 PM
Captain,

To counter your story, I know people who used to work at Nextbyte, as well as many people who bought from them, and of the salesmen told me that they generally would tell a customer anything to get their money and forget to mention anything about delays getting stock.

icant
23rd November 2004, 08:51 PM
About a year and a half ago (when iBooks were still G3), I ordered a BTO iBook. There was (from memory) no shortage of iBooks in Australia. But because it was BTO, it needed to come from Taiwan.

I was really annoyed because it took about 2 weeks to build, then overnight flight to Sydney. Then from Sydney to Tassie a courier service took 1 week. And it arrived with a broken CD drive.

Apple wouldn't order me another BTO iBook before I returned the new but damaged iBook. So another week by "courier" to Sydney. Then the 2 week+1 week routine would start again. So I just returned the iBook, and asked for a refund.

After that, I would be very very wary about ordering BTO. Non-BTO machines are more available both for shipping, and in case of returns. Non-BTO machines essentially are "off the shelf" machines, which are easier to replace.

petruk
23rd November 2004, 08:57 PM
I've seen Next Byte's dodgy dealings and I've heard even worse stories about them (from someone who used to work there). Fortuneately for you, it's hard for them to rip you off, getting the student discount and everything, but I never trust them anymore.

Delays? Dodgy Next Byte or a product revamp coming up?

Edit: ooo, that's what BTO stands for. Built to order :) No wonder! Still 4 weeks is pretty hairy.

king89
23rd November 2004, 08:59 PM
Just to give contrast to icant's experiences.

I ordered my PowerBook with BTO options (faster HDD, and upgraded video card). I put the order in on a Monday, and I had it by the Monday after. Maybe I was just lucky?

The order was placed through the Mac reseller at my Uni.

Atomac
23rd November 2004, 09:14 PM
Currawong. In any organisation you are going to get people like that. In general, among the people that I knew, we cared about the customer. It is difficult from the customers point of view to realise that the person you are talking to isn't stringing you along and trying only to get your money.

It does no salesperson any good at all to behave that way, computers are a repeat custom business. Now, I can't pretent I also didn't see somethings to which I raised an eyebrow, but, as I said above, in general, we tried really hard for our customers, although I admit it didn't always look that way.

No reseller is perfect. I am the last one to stand up and say that one dealer is better than another.

CarbonRods
23rd November 2004, 09:16 PM
I've just bought an eMac and an iBook from Next Byte at Glenunga and the service was fine.

I just rang them, confirmed that they had what I wanted in stock, went to the shop and swapped the money for a machine.

Never was tempted by BTO as it always seemed like a recipe for some serious hassles.

And Next Byte were VERY nice to me when I bought an academic version of MS Office ;-)

Steve

ford.boy
23rd November 2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Captain Panz@Nov 23 2004, 07:34 PM
I used to work for Next Byte and I can tell you that most of the people who work there are trying really hard to keep you happy. I used to feel awful when I customer had a computer on order, waiting for it to ship from Apple and it wouldn't come in.

The reseller really is the meat in the sandwich. They can only tell you what Apple tell them and it is hardly ever accurate. They want to make money and have your repeat business and so they understand it is in their interests to keep you happy.

Just sit tight, you'll get it as soon as Apple ship it. We ofter heard rumours that Apple were allocated stock when we couldn't get it, I don't believe this was true, but it often felt like it.
I have no doubt that they are trying to get it to me ASAP.

I'm not blaming them for the amount of time it's taken, but I thought it would be here sooner. And I'd be inclined to think Apple would serve their own needs before bothering too much about the resellers.

And thanks all for the replies. This is a great place :D

EDIT: I've heard some 'horror' stories and some references even in this thread about shonky BTO :blink: There's not my likelyhood that my iBook will be a 'road apple' is there?

Daltasaur
23rd November 2004, 09:19 PM
Yowch.

I had issues with nextbyte myself a couple of years ago when I bought the 1st lot of 12" PowerBooks released. My opinion of them at that time and presently:

They suck and I will NEVER do business with them EVER again. I also reccomend friends and strangers alike against going there!

M :angry:

Danamania
23rd November 2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Daltasaur@Nov 23 2004, 09:19 PM
I had issues with nextbyte myself a couple of years ago when I bought the 1st lot of 12" PowerBooks released.
Dang, I'm too slow. I was going to relate your experience here too :).

Not knowing the full behind-the-scenes thing with apple & resellers, it DOES sound like they give them a really shocking time compared to their own stores. Both times I've bought new macs I've gone online at the apple store on apple.com.au, and it's been 3-4 days waiting. That includes courier to rural NSW.

dana

symean
24th November 2004, 07:03 AM
Try to remember any reseller or store is in the middle of the equation, with the buyer expecting results on one side and the vendor (Apple) pretty much doing what they like on the other. If they keep getting later and later ETAs from Apple there&#39;s not much they can do, and also it is near impossible to get a definite ETA if there are delays. It may be that they simply cannot get an ETA from Apple, so based on past experience they are estimating how long it will be and telling you that. Just be blunt and ask for the nasty truth, I find customers would rather have bad news than no news, or lies... <_<

Talk to your salesperson and tell him you understand they probably have heaps of customers screaming at them for their machines, sympathise with him (or her), and you&#39;re not about to become a difficult customer as well, but you just want to know what your options are (Better price on an in-stock model? Freebie game or mouse for waiting so patiently? &#036;50 voucher for your next purchase?).

Also if you offer possible solutions to the problem you may strike it lucky - Do they have any units sitting around where another customer has not paid? Maybe you can put first dibs in on that one. Do they have any firesale items close to the specs you want? Maybe you can pick up an ex-demo unit with a 3 year warranty for a lot less...

Good luck :)

decryption
24th November 2004, 07:41 AM
When I bought my first Apple product (10GB iPod back in 2003), I got it from MyMac in Flinders Street. After 2 weeks waiting for them to get stock, I went to NextByte and asked them if they had any in stock. They gave me a quicker ETA on the iPod, so I changed my order to them. A week later and still no iPod, I decide to go in the store and ask. I went in, asked, salesman checked the back room and said "Hey, it&#39;s been here for 3 days. Didn&#39;t you get a call or something to come pick it up?".

So yeah. Just my little story.

However, when I bought my iBook and two iPods, I got them from MyMac with great service. All three were in stock when I wanted them and I got them with no fuss. I just walked in, said I wanted an iBook, he made up the invoice, I gave him the money, he went around the back, brang out the box, gave it to me and I left content. Same with the 20GB iPod and blue iPod mini :)

If you end up waiting too much longer, try go somewhere else to buy your Mac and let NextByte know when you cancel your order why you cancelled it.

And here&#39;s a tip: get the stock model, and buy the RAM separately. Put it in yourself and the iBook will come much sooner. Do you really need a 60GB HDD in your iBook? An external 80GB HDD is probably cheaper and is significantly faster. Use the internal 30GB for your apps and OS, and save all your data (MP3s, videos, etc.) on the external. Because you don&#39;t need to wait for Apple to add things to your iBook, you could just get one off the shelf at the dealer and take it home the same day :)

ford.boy
24th November 2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Nov 24 2004, 07:41 AM
And here&#39;s a tip: get the stock model, and buy the RAM separately. Put it in yourself and the iBook will come much sooner. Do you really need a 60GB HDD in your iBook? An external 80GB HDD is probably cheaper and is significantly faster. Use the internal 30GB for your apps and OS, and save all your data (MP3s, videos, etc.) on the external. Because you don&#39;t need to wait for Apple to add things to your iBook, you could just get one off the shelf at the dealer and take it home the same day :)
I really need the portability of the 60 gig, since this computer will be with me through a design course and I will be keeping many pictures, documents and music on it. It will be a go between computer as I plant to get an iMac or similarly equiped comupter next year for my home work horse.

And I&#39;ve read about the RAM. I simply don&#39;t feel confident enough. It&#39;s my first mac, my first laptop - I&#39;d rather leave it the hands of people who know what they&#39;re doing :)

pipsqeek
24th November 2004, 11:04 PM
With people who know what they are doing?

Read my iBook saga, the link is in the Sig.

Authorised Apple Resellers are just as bad sometimes. More so when things really go wrong.

pipsqeek

Whitey Ford
25th November 2004, 07:33 AM
I&#39;m not complaining about Nextbyte, but I did find their business practices rather unusual.
I went in on a weekday and picked up my Powerbook on a weekend. Both times the staff really didn&#39;t seem to know much about what they sold in the store. No one could tell me prices for anything, I took one of the sales guys around the store with me saying "i want that bluetooth keyboard, that mouse, that software package, that bag" etc and every time I asked him the price, he would take the item away, sit infront of an iBook for about 5 minutes and then return with a price. Most of which were incorrect.

I then placed an order for my Powerbook (which they had in stock), to pick up on the weekend when I had the cash, which took almost an hour&#33;&#33; I was standing in Nextbyte for a total of 50 minutes waiting while he entered my details into the computer or something. After all that, he gave me a print out of my order saying I could just pop in on the weekend with the money and pick it up.

When I came in on Saturday it took another 20 minutes before I even saw my powerbook, then the payment process took even longer&#33;

As a result, I chose not to buy anything except the Powerbook from Nextbyte and purchased all the accessories (mouse, keyboard, carry bag, software) from other sources with far far better customer service. How hard is it to put price tags on items in the store, or have staff that are aware of how much an item costs?

mjankor
25th November 2004, 08:40 AM
Apple Centre Norwood in Adelaide is great for service in my humble opinion. If they had interest free deals I&#39;d buy all my stuff from them. Unfortunately some of my stuff had to come from David Jones as they do have interest free deals.

pipsqeek
25th November 2004, 04:10 PM
I&#39;ve seen places where you ask them about the price, and they open Safari up and check the online price.

Apple doesn&#39;t really have a "Massive" product range. It wouldn&#39;t be that hard, considering it is your job, to remember 5-10 of the main selling items prices.

I can understand if I came in and asked for a total price on many items at once, including some obscure stuff.

pipsqeek

Snowy28
25th November 2004, 05:55 PM
My experience with NextByte - my mate bought an iPod mini. He ordered it a week early, and I sent them off an email asking if they had it in. They said yes, and the next day my mate and I went up, him on his break during work. We went there, and the salesperson said that it wasn&#39;t in. I detected BS, and later that day I went in, asked another guy and he said it was in.

So, the next day they were open, (on Monday), his mum was in the city and offered to get it for him. She got it for him, but after persisting with the guy at the counter. It turns out he was looking at the wrong stores database

:rolleyes:

pipsqeek
25th November 2004, 06:44 PM
LOL

pipsqeek

Whitey Ford
25th November 2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Snowy28@Nov 25 2004, 05:55 PM
It turns out he was looking at the wrong stores database
I see that issues with the Point Of Sale software are not limited to my experience.

I would have been willing to shrug it off, but every staff member was the same. They were helpfull, they did apologise and I will be a repeat customer but I think the company itself has to lift it&#39;s game and give them some decent POS software.

I know of POS software that allows real time inventory tracking, pricing and so forth that operates with ease. Why not implement that instead of consulting some random price list that is often wrong (i was quoted the firesale price on several items, not the new price).

Heck, there&#39;s a dirt cheap PC hardware store that I frequent, they just print out their price list and leave a pile of them on the counter. If you ask them how much is a such and such hard drive, the guy picks up a copy and tells you the price.

They need to lift their game..

decryption
25th November 2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Whitey Ford@Nov 25 2004, 08:20 PM
Heck, there&#39;s a dirt cheap PC hardware store that I frequent, they just print out their price list and leave a pile of them on the counter. If you ask them how much is a such and such hard drive, the guy picks up a copy and tells you the price.
I love MSY :D

Currawong
25th November 2004, 08:47 PM
Ha, like all the ones in the city here do ;)

ford.boy
25th November 2004, 09:16 PM
Just for the record, they still haven&#39;t called -- or haven&#39;t got it yet. :|

waiting waiting waiting...

ford.boy
3rd December 2004, 04:38 PM
Hey hey everyone1 This is the very first post ever comming from my iBook&#33;

I love it so far,still getting usedto it,amazed at all the software that comes with it.

I was about ready to buy a base ibook and do up the ram a little to 768, but by some stroke of luck, the same day I called nextbyte o see howclose the ibook was and if I could make the switchto the othermachine. They called an hour later to say that it&#39;s arrived :D

Sooo very happy&#33; I amazing everyone by getting the computer to tell me knock knocks;)

Anyway, I&#39;m very happy with it, beautiful OS.

Snowy28
3rd December 2004, 04:50 PM
Nice&#33; Glad you got it in the end, and you&#39;re happy with it.

icant
3rd December 2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ford.boy@Dec 3 2004, 05:38 PM
Hey hey everyone1 This is the very first post ever comming from my iBook&#33;

Yay. Good for you. I hope you like it. iBook&#39;s good. It only took a month and a few days then.

ford.boy
3rd December 2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Snowy28@Dec 3 2004, 04:50 PM
Nice&#33; Glad you got it in the end, and you&#39;re happy with it.
Love it, filling it up with tons of music right now:D

diomedes
5th December 2004, 07:23 PM
pretty much everything apple has been in short supply recently.. apple dealers really are getting a raw deal atm.

mjankor
5th December 2004, 08:43 PM
I went to see if Applecentre Norwood could order a Nvidia 6800GT last week. It turns out they can&#39;t even get this card through their supplier. I thought it would be supplied by Apple but in this case it doesn&#39;t look like it. They said the only way they could get it would be to order it as a replacement part.

It would appear we live in interesting times indeed.

I&#39;ll try and write a review of it at some stage anyway. Needless to say, it rocks.