PDA

View Full Version : iTunes smart playlists

antechinus55
30th August 2006, 01:42 PM
One of the other threads here discussed smart playlists as a tangent, and at least some of the contributors did not use them. For me, as soon as I installed iTunes I deleted all the preset playlists (80's music, ie fm radio fare, is my idea of hell) and started to use smart playlists. My question is why would you use standard playlists when smart playlists are so much more flexible?

sao

marc
30th August 2006, 02:13 PM
Smart playlists are great, but what if you want to manually manage a playlist? There's really only one option... a (dumb :) ) playlist. I use both depending on the situation.

And yeah, the first thing I did was delete all the smart playlists that come with iTunes. None fit my purposes, especially the "80s music" one.

Gerbils
30th August 2006, 02:15 PM
Smart playlists are great for some things, but crap when you want tracks in a specific order.

gurgle
30th August 2006, 02:30 PM
i use smart playlists for things such as 5star songs, new favourite tracks and unheard podcasts.. i really only use dumb playlists for specific albums im listening to at the moment, all collected within a 'now playing' folder

gizo
30th August 2006, 03:00 PM
Also good for populating iPod with stuff that's not been listened to much lately....

soulman
30th August 2006, 03:44 PM
Being an old fart, I actually still like to listen to albums so I use normal playlists for that. My main playlist just contains stuff I like which I drop into it as I see fit. I do use smart lists too - quite a bit - but find there is plenty of use for the others.

gizo
30th August 2006, 03:53 PM
Soulman: If you have 100 albums, what do you do then? That's alot of playlists....?

disclaimer : i have 0 tracks in my iTunes library

soulman
30th August 2006, 03:57 PM
I have a top level folder called "Albums" and in that I have folders named for the artists. Inside those folders are the playlists for each album - almost a complete duplication of the way iTunes stores the music in fact. Don't know how many albums there are but the 'clutter' is easy to get rid of if I wish.

gizo
30th August 2006, 04:03 PM
hypothetical: is that any easier than using the search for an album name?

again - i dont actually use it, i am just interested. And of course, not intending any offence.. :)

gaehl
30th August 2006, 04:15 PM
it might be easier than the search for a album name but im sure using the "browse" in Library would be easier than all those playlists.

I have one "dumb" playlist its created by coverflow with the last album it played.

soulman
30th August 2006, 04:17 PM
Just tried that & my system may not offer any huge advantage to those with good memories, though I could also search for artist then album too I guess.

Originally I just wanted to be sure I could easily access the whole album with the track order as the artist intended. Searching for an album title returns results in the right order too though. It may also become unwieldy once I have heaps of artists in the same way that browsing the Finder for files is out of the question given the amount of files I have.

So, yeah - it may not be any easier at all. :) No offence taken BTW - I'm always open to new ways of looking at things - but I appreciate you checking it out. :)

Edit: typo

antechinus55
30th August 2006, 04:22 PM
my smart playlists are by artist ('radiohead'), genre ('alternative', 'alt-country'), grouping ('female', 'aust and nz'), relationship ('both buckleys, 'covers') and some others. the genre I frequently change to my types, and grouping I decide myself. I don't rate tracks. Therefore the Finns are in 3 playlists, Radiohead in 2, all females in at least 2 etc.

sao

soulman
30th August 2006, 04:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gaehl &#064; Aug 30 2006, 04&#58;15 PM) 209497</div>
it might be easier than the search for a album name but im sure using the "browse" in Library would be easier than all those playlists.[/b]Perhaps for you but not for me. :) It takes me much longer to find what I want using Browse, perhaps because I have a lot of stuff that is not part of a complete album.