PDA

View Full Version : slimming os x 10.4

antechinus55
29th August 2006, 07:27 AM
despite having terabytes of storages (well that's a slight exageration, but I've got lots of hdds) I seem to constantly fill my boot drive on the eMac (80gb). I have removed all the ancillary stuff, run monolingual, removed all the updates I've installed and Googled 'slimming' os x (to no effect). It's alway possible to trim oses, they contain a lot of unnecessary stuff, and I have done it for Red hat and Windows. Anyone know of a good guide for doing it to OS X 10.4? TIA.

sao

W2ttsy
29th August 2006, 07:55 AM
reinstall os x, and press the customise button (its on the select drive screen). turn of extra language support (asian, russian, german, etc) and turn off print drivers (unless you need them, even then just select the one you need) and anything else you wont need. that will save you about 2.5gb.

W2ttsy

bljpoad
29th August 2006, 08:19 AM
On my work mac removing Garageband and iDVD (it only has a CDRW) freed up few gigs. Are there any apps like that (or trials) that you could remove? eg I think a trial version of office may have also been installed on my work mac
- Berwyck

Currawong
29th August 2006, 08:23 AM
I think there are a couple of apps that do this better, but what I do is in my user folder set the view to list view then select in view options, "Calculate all sizes". Clicking on the size column sorts by size, so you can see where all the space is being taken up. Then I use the disclosure triangles next to each folder to see what inside is taking up space. You might try this on your hard drive to see where the space is going.

The suggestion, however, of doing a customised install not including extra languages or printer drives is a good one. If you need the developer tools but don't need the manual, that's also a great space saver. Garageband and iWork eat up huge amounts of space as well.

decryption
29th August 2006, 08:25 AM
You may also want to remove un-used languages from your Mac - http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

dev_enter
29th August 2006, 08:29 AM
Maybe you should run monolingual. :rolleyes:

... Oh wait, you already said in your original post that it's something you've already done.

tcn33
29th August 2006, 08:56 AM
Maybe try Omni DiskSweeper (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/). You can get a free one-day trial license, which should be enough to do a cleanout of your HDD.

Alec Fraser
29th August 2006, 09:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(decryption &#064; Aug 29 2006, 08&#58;25 AM) 209089</div>

You may also want to remove un-used languages from your Mac - http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/
[/b]

I wish I&#39;d known about this app when I first started looking to free up space on my iBook&#33; Would&#39;ve saved so much time :lol: I ended up running a fresh install as mentioned above. Managed to get my initial install down to just over 2 gig.

I&#39;d recommend going through the apps folder and removing the things that you really don&#39;t use. Like any computer, Mac&#39;s come with a heap of trials and apps that you don&#39;t actually use.

antechinus55
29th August 2006, 11:16 AM
thank you for your replies, but, I always do a custom install anyway for every app including osx and I have already run monolingual (note to others, don&#39;t remove all languages, one of the european ones uses a font required by mail to display properly. since I did 2 things at once [naughty&#33;] I can&#39;t be more specific, just accept monolingual&#39;s defaults and you will be fine.)
I will remove some more apps, having removed some already, and thanks for the tip about garage band, which I don&#39;t need. I want more&#33; I want to be able to see a list of what I can remove without affecting the operating system. This is possible in all other oses and must be possible in os x. As an example what utilities can I remove (I dont need many of them)? What happens if I junk sherlock (since I don&#39;t live in the good old usa)?

sao

Alec Fraser
29th August 2006, 11:21 AM
All I can say is don&#39;t delete part of the Library folder...I did that when I first got my iBook...I didn&#39;t know what it did *blush*

tcn33
29th August 2006, 11:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antechinus55 &#064; Aug 29 2006, 11&#58;16 AM) 209142</div>

I want to be able to see a list of what I can remove without affecting the operating system. [/b]

Omni DiskSweeper will tell you what are essential system files and what aren&#39;t.