PDA

View Full Version : windows on macbook

kooty
24th August 2006, 06:58 PM
hi guys im new to the forum and will also be new to macs soon. well not new to them but ive always been a pc man...alot of u are sure to hate me for it haha

im purchasing a macbook 2ghz in the next couple of months and will be putting 2gb of ram into it. i plan to run parallel or bootcamp so that i can still run windows programs but what i was wondering was will windows still run as if it were on a 2ghz pc as i plan to run a couple of pc games such as flight simulator on it. i know that the macbook only has 128mb graphics compared to 256 on the macbook pro but unforuntately the pro is out of my price range :(

thanks in advance

james

Exocet
24th August 2006, 07:01 PM
Kooty, running windows on a Macbook is just the same as running Windows on any other generic PC. If you can run Flight Sim Pro on a similarly-spec'd PC laptop, it will run fine on the MacBook.

kooty
24th August 2006, 07:02 PM
cheers thanks heaps

blindfox
24th August 2006, 07:25 PM
Just a quick note that the macbook only has 64mb of onboard video memory.

Also, you'll need to use bootcamp for games as Paralells doesn't have the best video support yet.

Byrd
24th August 2006, 07:43 PM
MS Flight Sim (if that's the one you're talking about), especially the new version that is due soon, will run painfully, if not at all, on a 64MB GMA900 graphics chipset. Perhaps look into a MBP?

JB

adam89
24th August 2006, 08:23 PM
I tried the new Flight Sim which was either a demo or beta i can't remember on my MacBook Pro, it runs like a 1 legged person running a marathon.

cgollner
24th August 2006, 10:47 PM
I am running Call of Duty on XP via Bootcamp. Runs great. You will find the 64meg graphic card on the Macbook a bit low end. Definatley aim for the Macbook Pro.

ethania05
25th August 2006, 12:20 AM
If your going to get the 2Gb of ram, I hope you dont get it from Apple. A rip off if you dont know or as some would label it "The Steve Jobs Tax". :P

Im waiting to try out the new flight sim but only when DX10 comes out, something mac users wont see for a while perhaps. Muahaha.

kooty
25th August 2006, 12:34 PM
yea as for the ram ill be buying it elsewhere and doing it myself haha. like 790 bucks for the 2gb upgrade from apple!!

id love the macbook pro but simply cant afford it im stretching the budget just to get the macbook lol why cant they be as cheap as pc's!! haha.
bit bummed i wont be able to play flightsim on it i love that game.

with the 64mb card which i thought was 128 dammit haha..is it possible to upgrade the card yourself at a later date? im new to laptops in general not just macs ive always had desktop computers where i can change watever i want.

ooh and one last thing...apart from running pc games..mac games should run well even with only 64 shouldnt they? just obviously not on maximum graphic settings etc..

thanks for all the replys so far guys :)

Quamen
25th August 2006, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kooty &#064; Aug 25 2006, 12&#58;34 PM) 208269</div>

yea as for the ram ill be buying it elsewhere and doing it myself haha. like 790 bucks for the 2gb upgrade from apple&#33;&#33;

id love the macbook pro but simply cant afford it im stretching the budget just to get the macbook lol why cant they be as cheap as pc&#39;s&#33;&#33; haha.
bit bummed i wont be able to play flightsim on it i love that game.

with the 64mb card which i thought was 128 dammit haha..is it possible to upgrade the card yourself at a later date? im new to laptops in general not just macs ive always had desktop computers where i can change watever i want.
[/b]

Nope. There&#39;s pretty much 4 things inside a laptop, memory, hard drive, optical drive and logic board. The graphics card is built onto the logic board so you won&#39;t be able to replace it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kooty &#064; Aug 25 2006, 12&#58;34 PM) 208269</div>

ooh and one last thing...apart from running pc games..mac games should run well even with only 64 shouldnt they? just obviously not on maximum graphic settings etc..

thanks for all the replys so far guys :)
[/b]

Mac games should run fun, especially with 2GB of RAM kicking things along. Just don&#39;t expect to max out the graphics settings in yoru game.